Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Soooooooo glad to hear it wasn't clearcoated.......nothing else makes so little sense. Your shop's too clean Jeff, you're a sick man.

bobss396, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  2. It’s not that he’s sick @Texas57 , he’s just got way too much stuff going on that’s all.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

[QUOTE="corncobcoupe, Oh just suffer.....:D
    @corncobcoupe

HAHAHAHAH...... my favourite flic!
    I'm Fra-gee-lee..........Everyone needs a leg up.

7.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Nads, Outback, PoTaToTrUcK and 6 others like this.
  4. atch

atch

Jeff,

Can this be painted over? Must it be removed down to bare metal first?

Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

OK cool, appreciate the info. So you'll ship me the rest of that can now that you're done using it? :D Let me know the dealer name

Thor1, Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

4A9E76AA-8ECD-4E46-BE1E-8B2855223766.jpeg
    Best costume this year’s Christmas party!

Outback, chryslerfan55, brEad and 4 others like this.
  7. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Really wish I knew how to do the black tape over the eyes like in the old magazines!

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

As an FYI, the 57 Ford used 2 dash inserts. Earlier production was a 3 piece unit that. had separate plates for the heater controls (seen here), the radio, and the clock. Later production used a 1 piece unit that integrated all 3. At least that's what's been explained to me. I replaced my 3 piece with a 1 piece.

Outback, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  9. I don't try to hide my wiring, hence I make it look as neat as possible and I like access to it, just in case. I do run it through some Summit wire protection under the hood.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

yes Mike.... no issues of ever doing a re-paint..... very much like the old Mineral spirits kinda deal.

Joe.. never seen a 1 piece unit.... or even heard of one.... but I assume that was on the Fairlane series.....
    I been into the 300(series) mostly.
    Very interesting.

11. Weird, mines an august '57 car, i have a '58 style pedal and such, but i have individual chrome for the heater, radio, and clock.

12. atch

atch

Thanx, Jeff.

I googled it and find that you can order it on-line. It appears that it one vendor ships from UK and takes a couple of weeks to get here. Also shipping is free on orders over $100.

I found other sources but they don't say where it is coming from. Pricey; but if it works...

It sounds like this might just be the ticket when building a car piece by piece and not wanting to finish paint all those little pieces 'til they are all done (I'll be doing that in the near future).

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Again.... not anything exciting but the wiring is nearly complete... about 95%.... checked all the circuits and we have life flowing through this old girl.
    Checked and working, brake lights, turn signals,Headlights and park lights, fan works, hi n lo,... wiper motor works well and is a 2 speed, with a return park.Engine cranks very well and the starter engages smoothly and well.
    All that is really left is to hook the horn connections and dome light. Very straight forward and I am happy.
    Always learning about things. and that is conduit grease,... I had an issue were the front signals and rear turns simply were not functioning, of course I started to doubt my work and a pal of mine Terry swung by and helped me look into it.It turned out that the sockets of each bulb were super dry... not making a proper contact... so he asked if I had any of this conduit grease.
    I said yea. lots.. and handed him a tube of di-electric grease....
    Nope,... don't use that.... need conduit grease.. different animal.....
    So he told me to drop by his work and pick some up... solved everything.Of course I am using 60 year old light sockets... never really thought about it... anyhow... easy fix and I am very satisfied.Maybe it will help someone else.

He also gave me some rubber lubricate for all the door seals and trunk seals.. told me to use it after installation.(that's happening very soon.)

Anyhow.. the fire is still burning bright.... moving forward.

A.jpg AA.jpg AAA.jpg

Outback, enloe, Okie Pete and 18 others like this.
  14. Always makes me happy when the light bulb finally comes on!:confused:

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  15. I wouldn't have thought "electrical grease" was any different than dielectric grease. Good to know I guess. Could you tell the difference? Looking forward to the video on the first cruise, lol. Good job, Jeff.

16. My old Ford rear sockets were toast and I didn't like the look of the replacements, looked a little fiddly to me. I went with larger snap-in GM tailight sockets even though I had to open the bucket holes to 1.125".

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  17. What you need is a 'base' heater control. Most cars got the three-lever 'Selectaire' version like yours but some base units showed up here and there. These were a single push/pull knob unit with a bezel such as used on the other control knobs. Operation was no heat pushed in, first detent out was heat, second added defrost, and turning the knob controlled the fan. Downside was no temp control; Ford explained that by noting you could crack a window for temp control... LOL
    More commonly installed on trucks into the early '70s, but I have seen some on various years Ford cars from '57 up. Fairly rare item.

Ford also went to an in-dash OD control cable starting in 1960 rather than the under-dash unit found on the earlier cars.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes Steve..I have that exact unit in my other 57.. but.....I am using what I have available. and I do have a spare single push/knob unit and the base plate.... but I did not have the proper heater core.... out of a truck.. just factory 57 passenger car ones... so.. I just used with what I had in old parts....

19. Squablow

Squablow

I too would like to know what the difference between conduit grease and di-electric grease is. I don't know if I've ever heard the term "conduit grease" before. I'd love to be educated on this one, I'm trying to learn about wiring systems and every little thing helps.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Just depends on who was working the dispensary on the county farm on what type of grease you got orajel , conduit grease , die electric grease , or cock grease ( hair gel ) !

lothiandon1940 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  21. vitamindart

vitamindart

just from my experience di electric is a thicker & stickier grease, that electrical grease is softer and more fluid.

Okie Pete likes this.
  22. Conduit grease (often referred to as lube) is for when youre pulling wires through conduit in industrial applications. At least thats what i think you are referring to.

Speaking of heater cores, im amazed mine works as well as it does, i let it run and it defrosted the entire car.

Thor1, lippy, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  23. My 1st car was a tow away special. 1957 Fairlane 500 4 door sedan. 312 and auto. The engine was locked up. It was a high mileage car. After some failures, I got a 272 that was a good engine. I installed the 312 4 barrel carb and intake and exhaust manifolds and installed the engine hanging from a tree in the back yard. My memory is poor but I seem to remember a one piece gold dash insert???? What I do remember is that it had one of the best heaters of any car I've owned. :)

Thor1, Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. I think i may have found a car with the "one piece trim" people are referring to. its a skyliner i wonder where the others get the trim from.
    https://autohunter.com/Listing/Details/9990263/1957-Ford-Fairlane-500-Skyliner[​IMG]

as far as im aware there were no anodized aluminium/gold dash inserts.

Thor1, Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. VI Lonewolf

VI Lonewolf

26. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

For a minute I thought he was going to send you out for some Relative Bearing Grease like we used in the Navy.

27. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

and get some water line to help.......

28. HaHa, let us not forget the bucket of steam from the fireroom! Or asking the quartermaster for "the sky hook"

29. Or a "BT punch".:eek:
    Or stand watch with binocs on the foc'sl, searching for the mail buoy!:confused:

Now- back to the regularly scheduled cool car build thread.:rolleyes:

30. I went looking for gold inserts on the dash. Brain damage again. Now, I'm beginning to wonder if I ever saw a gold dash insert???? However, it was 57 years ago. :)