Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's the best- - - ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jerry rigged, Jan 27, 2023.

1. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Hah! I bet you guys thought I was gonna say "oil". Nah, I'm smarter than that. What I do wanna know is what does the collective knowledge of the H.A.M.B.ergers think is the best UV/ozone protectant for rubber parts like windshield gaskets/weatherstripping? Armorall? STP Son-of-a-Gun? Silicone spray? I did a search & didn't find a thread on this, so don't beat me up...

2. squirrel

squirrel

What's the best snake oil?

3. hrm2k likes this.
  4. Regular driving

Callmaker and squirrel like this.

5. Keeping them clean and silicone spray on a rag and wipe once a year or so .

hrm2k likes this.
  6. Dielectric grease. Clean the rubber first with lacquer thinner or something similar. Rub the grease onto the rubber. You can use it on heater hoses, etc. too.

hrm2k likes this.
  7. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Have been using this, best snake oil I've used.;) Use it sparingly....couple of times a year - beginning and end of the season.
    61zk-LTC7iL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

hrm2k and rod1 like this.
  8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're all gonna think I'm nutz, but plain 'ol Lemon Pledge seems to work the best for me, on all the rubber. o_O The only thing a bottle of armor-all is good for is a target, for sighting-in a .22! :D

9. Park inside.

hrm2k, mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have been using Armor All on all rubber products since it came out to the market. We also used to use it for cleaning leather seats and when we had vinyl, those seat surfaces, too. It worked, made the surface slick for a while, but kept the leather and vinyl parts clean. If one wiped it off with a clean rag, it was not shiny. Those that hate Armor All probably did not like the shiny surface on the material or on the tires. It was a simple fix with a clean rag to tone down the shiny surfaces.

How long did it last? Like all cleaning/protecting products, it depends on how it is used. The normal daily drive to school or work? It lasts for quite a while, but it depends on what work you do or what you wear while sitting on the surfaces. If it is Grey leather and you constantly wear Levis, the color will eventually rub off on the Grey, necessitating another round of cleaning. The liquid spray is plenty for cleaning those random colors off of neutral surfaces like tan or grey leather or even vinyl.

Jnaki

These days, the leather surfaces coated with some protectant is plenty for constant driving. The modern technology does a good job, so, we all have favorites. But, again, it depends on what you wear daily and how long the seat is used as an ingress or egress. No in & out jokes…

On the rubber casings around the windows, one application may be enough, but it needs to be dry before any outside use. Otherwise, those products that have any types of oil or such stuff will attract flying dirt or debris. Then, making another cleaning job and applying another coat of cleaner/protectorant on the surfaces. YRMV

Ever since the development of indoor parking structures at businesses, hospitals, shopping malls and such, we make it a definite choice to always park inside. It may be a little farther to walk to the stores, but it is out of the hot or cold weather doing a number on your car. Plus, the indoor area protects your car rubber parts from they hot sun, making it cool inside when you get back to the car for the trip home.

11. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

12. 5window

5window

If you are working with pure rubber,fine. But, if you have siliconized rubber, it is contra-indicated as it will degrade it over time. Know what you've got!