Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's it fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEATHEN, Jan 26, 2023.

1. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I got this camshaft in a package deal. Obviously, it's for an engine with the distributor in the front, but I don't know what. Overall length is 19 3/4 inches not counting the threaded gear snout. 20230125_215724.jpg 20230125_215653.jpg 20230125_215703.jpg

2. BJR

BJR

3. squirrel

squirrel

Generally a used flat tappet cam, without the lifters it was used with, fits nicely in a scrap metal bin.

Looks like small block ford

4. oldolds

oldolds

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

6. SBC ... boat application when using two engines.

Counter rotating engines mean one spins backwards ... easiest way to accomplish this is to install the cam in backwards then reverse the starter.

or maybe not ;)

lippy and nosford like this.
  7. Small block Ford..... would not use a used cam even with the lifters that came off of it, that bill had too many zeros after the dollar sign.

8. squirrel

squirrel

frankly I've had better experiences over the years with used cam/lifter sets, than with new ones.

lippy likes this.
  9. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Just asking, I really do not know correct answer.
    If you have a good used cam ....can you use new lifters with it & break in as if a new cam/lifters?

Thinking about doing something like this with a old 8BA.

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Clean it well and inspect it. If it shows light, even wear patterns I might consider using it with new lifters in an old engine for a little performance boost, but I wouldn’t use it in a new build.

11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Putting used lifters on a cam not used with them will destroy the cam. Use new lifters. Used lifters on the cam they were used on will be fine if installed on the lobes they came off of. Mix 'em up = pay the price.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    alanp561 likes this.
  12. If it is used and not flat it probably is not going to go flat.
    I try to keep a cam from every engine that gets a cam change. Well not every engine but every engine type. They make good cam bearing reams. ;)

El Mirage Garage likes this.
  13. Years ago I heard that it was fine to install new lifters on an old cam. I have done it several times since I was told I could (on different SBC engines) and have not had a problem.

Some will say you can, some will say you can't, I will say "I have and it worked for me". Now, that being said, all the engines I have done this with were SBC's.

Maybe I just got lucky but, me personally, I'd do it again if I felt the need.

bchctybob and squirrel like this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

yes.
    absolutely

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Had that same grind in a Ford 302. Good street cam, a little lumpy idle, really wakes up around 3000 RPM, best used with 3.55 or better gears. I'd look at the lobes, check for abnormal wear, if OK, use new name brand lifters, not China crap. Like Beano said, if it hasn't went flat by now, it probably won't, that is unless you put soft lifters in it.

There is a ton of engines out there that had at least one lifter replaced and still run fine. The key word is NEW, I wouldn't put a used lifter on a used cam that it didn't come off of.

bchctybob likes this.