Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Some questions about 36 Ford Club Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lou Jr., Jan 14, 2023.

1. Lou Jr.

Lou Jr.

New member and 1st post. I just acquired a 1936 Ford Club Car and I have a few questions. (1) what size are the headlights cause I'd like to get something brighter...(2) I need to replace the glass on all 4 side windows and the back window due to the lamination deteriorating..How would I go about doing this? Thanks for your time

alanp561 likes this.
  2. Pictures would help us to help you.

alanp561, clem and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. ...What exactly is a "club car"? Is it a Club Cabriolet? Can you not measure the headlights for crying out loud?!

Doing a proper introduction goes a long way here in getting the attention and gaining the respect of others on the message board. And as mentioned by @nickthebandit, pictures would help immensely in figuring out what you need.

brady1929, alanp561, belair and 2 others like this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't know Ford made golf carts in 1936...:rolleyes:

I'll give the benefit of the doubt that your phone boinked your pucker with autocorrect. Is it a Club Cabriolet (2dr conv with roll up windows)?

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. LOU, for the headlight question, look at BOB DRAKE, he has everything you'll need to update the dim candles you have for headlights. Also any automotive glass shop can cut you flat glass..But FIRST,,, do an introduction post telling us ALL about you, the area where you live, post up pics of the '36 and above all else, READ THE RULES so you dont ever get your "tit in the ringer".... Mitch.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    alanp561, 302GMC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. CA420146-85DA-4FAA-B28A-B11DC5A1CED8.gif

this is what happens when you only get part of the story .

pics will help greatly .

and a bit more info about you n the car goes a long way here with most folks .

always here to help when we get all the information .

But as has been said your side glass is flat and any glass shop can help as long as you have the originals or a template .

7. X2 on Bob Drake for the headlight components. Reflectors are the same '35-'36 car and '35-'39 truck. The original reflectors have to be polished periodically to work well. Drake makes a reflector that never needs polishing and has a coating that is far more reflective that the original and takes a common halogen bulb you can get at any parts store. My '38 pickup (same headlight bucket as your '36) had the brightest headlights of any vehicle I ever owned--using the Drake reflectors with halogen bulbs and stock '36 "bug eye" lenses and rings.

8. Does it look like this one? The longer roof covers the back seat not found on the regular cabriolet.
    upload_2023-1-14_21-2-26.png

alanp561 likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

He said glass on all four side windows, so I really doubt he has a cabriolet. He just doesn't know the terms "coupe" or "sedan".

alanp561 likes this.
  10. Thanks @alchemy!. Had a duh moment there and focused on the “Club” as I used to have one. Maybe it’s one of these. Convertible sedan.

upload_2023-1-14_22-3-48.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Hamtown Al, pprather and alanp561 like this.
  11. Radio silence from the OP.

brady1929, Just Gary and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Lou Jr.

Lou Jr.

Sorry to get your guys panties in a bunch. I'm new to the group and I apologize for the lack of info. I'm from South Jersey near Atlantic City.

Attached Files:

Packrat, 40FORDPU, VANDENPLAS and 4 others like this.
  13. Looks like a pretty nice Tudor sedan. :cool: I’m sure you will get plenty of help here. And, welcome to the HAMB.

14. Lou Jr.

Lou Jr.

Thank you sir

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice ride and welcome from E. Tennessee. Personally, I have no problem with you being from South Jersey;). That's a nice car and your plans sound pretty good so far. Just please don't do anything to it involving Mustang II, Jaguar or LS power:mad:.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Lou, thats nice humpback. As for the headlights, you already have a sealed beam conversion so if I were you, I would look into some 7" Hella "E" code headlights with good halogen bulbs. It'll turn nite into day. As for the door and 1/4 glass, its just flat glass but its real tricky to get it in and working right. Again, NICE, have fun. Mitch

alanp561, lothiandon1940 and X38 like this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'm glad it isn't a golf cart;)

Back on topic, your lights are standard single sealed beams converted from a bulb/lens. 7" I think. The glass isn't a hateful deal, it's all flat. The thing is who's gonna take it out? Can you do that? There's likely a good tutorial on Ford barn (sister site to the HAMB). It involves removing the back seat cushions and both inside moldings as well as the inside ¼ trim panels. Something you might do part or all of?

alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. ...No worries on the panties..:eek:..Looks like a sweet '36. As others have mentioned, it's all flat glass so that shouldn't be too difficult. You may need to find a local glass shop to cut it for you. Lots of good advice already on the headlight situation. I still don't understand the "club car" moniker, but oh well. Good luck and enjoy the car and your HAMBtime.....Don.

brady1929 and alanp561 like this.
  19. Welcome.
    Looks like a nice car, what are your plans for it?

20. 62rebel

62rebel

I've heard of tudor sedans called "coach" and "club" sedans, mostly from older folks and not hot rod people. And, I agree, that's a nice looking car right there. Welcome aboard the HAMB

seb fontana likes this.
  21. Lou Jr.

Lou Jr.

Thank you all for the compliments. This is the 1st Ford for me so I'm learning as I go. I enjoy the car and it's a work in progress since I have limited months to drive it being I live in the Northeast.

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. It’s clear now, thanks, and welcome to the HAMB ward.
    That looks like a nice Tudor Touring Sedan. I had one for a while.

If you want to learn and do it yourself, but don’t know how to, I can help with the glass.
    YOU can pull the glass out, take it to a glass company who can use it for patterns and cut each piece to match. They may vary a little side to side. MARK THEM.
    Around here, it’s about $50 each, for laminated with buffed edges. Rear should be a little less.

Remove the door handles and/or window cranks, then the door panels.

The bottom channels that hold the glass will come off the lift mechanism arms about half way up. There will be two round openings in the bottom channel’s track for the lift’s rollers to pop through.

Adjust the glass so that the holes and rollers line up, wedge the glass or tape it in place, and disengage the rollers. Lower the glass by hand to the bottom of the door, and leave it there.

Remove the garnish molding and remove the lifts from the door inner door panel. 4-6 screws.
    Collapse them and remove through the big access hole in the inner door panel.

Raise the glass and rotate it 90* toward the front of the door, the top front radius should allow it to tilt and do that. At that point you should be able to raise up and remove the glass with the channel attached, up and out through the window opening. It should lean enough to clear the door top.

The glass guy can remove and reinstall the bottom channels with new setting tape.
    Keeps you from breaking it.
    Clean or replace the lifts, grease appropriately, and replace the vertical felt guides front and back.
    With JUST the new glass rotated back in place in the new felt guides, move it up and down BY HAND to test for smooth operation.
    You MIGHT have to pull it back out and take it back to get one edge sanded slightly.
    Usually a little at the rear will take care of any binding in the travel.

Once it fits correctly, reverse the disassembly steps and you’re done.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  23. The headlights look like they have been converted to seal beams.
    I'd take them apart, make sure the connectors are not corroded. Check the ground connections.
    You may have to do a voltage check at the headlight connector to see how much voltage reaches the lights.
    Is the car still 6 volt electrical system?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Doubtful.
    4ADC399F-7166-40C4-B1DD-02DDD8D0F687.jpeg

pprather, theHIGHLANDER and Just Gary like this.
  25. v8flat44

v8flat44

Welcome to "The Hamb", nice 36 !! You might try "The Ford Barn" too in the early V8 section.

26. Lou Jr.

Lou Jr.

Thanks for the how to on the window glass hotrodA. It's definitely something I can do. I'll try that with the headlights pprather and the car is a 12 volt system. It has a 302 small block mustang motor with a 5 speed manual and a mustang II front end.

27. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Wonder if it still has the smokers glass option.

29. Lou Jr.

Lou Jr.

What's the smokers glass option?

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As you roll up the front window you keep rolling and it kicks back a bit, maybe 2" or so. Later it went to kick back 1st then finish going down. I don't know if the rears did it in 36, but they did in 37.