Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Accidentally Bought a 40 Merc Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by guthriesmith, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Wow, 4 pages of this thread and the car hasn't even gotten off the trailer yet!
    You now need to "accidentally" back it off the trailer and get started on this build. I'll be following along

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. I've watched a few videos lately of guys chopping tops, and it's pretty daunting. The one skill or tools I don't have is how to make new sail panels. I've seen many guys instead of puzzle piecing together the back of the roof just making a new piece with a pullmax or yoder. Even if I had those tools the skill in using them would be far off for me. Here's a cool video from Bello chopping a 37 Ford. Not exactly like a 40 Merc, but a similar process.

4. Yea, I like this car ALOT! Pretty sure this is my goal to shoot for as far as just overall look. :cool:

And, I’ll unload it off the trailer soon especially now that you guys are starting to give me a hard time. :D

Oh, I did finally make contact with the guy that bought the garnish moldings and a few other of the pieces for the car at the auction, so am hoping we can agree on a price for those soon. :)

And, thanks again for all the comments and inspiration! I’m pretty pumped about building this car!

5. Found another hood yesterday with all the missing trim I need. Sounds like the guy also has some other parts, so seems I should be able to piece this car together little by little. It's nice to have so many friends in this car world to contact to make connections to find stuff that might otherwise be nearly impossible to find. I have to admit that I was somewhat concerned buying the car without some of the parts, but pretty sure I can get there using lots of connections. :cool:

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

It needs Cragars.

ha ha

7. Well, that is a better suggestion than @Tman had as far as keeping the Camaro wheels... :rolleyes: Pretty sure it will have full wheel covers of some sort maybe even sooner than later on the rollers. I'm going to check out some parts tomorrow morning that a co-worker wants rid of and in that pile of parts is a set of wide whitewalls among other things.

Also, it is nice to open the HAMB and see this pic often. Helps with the motivation to regularly see a chopped Merc.

HAMBMerc.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  8. Well...I guess this is progress?

3EE35749-F333-454F-99DE-82188A2D5376.jpeg

9. Next...rearrange the shop and organize because this is a huge mess. :oops:

15F35A16-F73D-440D-9057-52BE23EFDEF0.jpeg

Also, anyone recognize this as the CE parallel leaf kit? Appears to be a manufactured bolt-in kit as best I can tell.

3DAC6BA5-CF1E-4203-882E-1BEAD83C9DDA.jpeg

10. alchemy

alchemy

Whatever that kit is from, it ain't gonna get your rear end down enough to be cool. I've seen kits (maybe Weedeter?) that put the parallel springs inboard of the rails, which allowed everything to sit lower back there. Your current setup would require 8 inches of lowering block.

11. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Jeff it looks like the one that i have under my 39. Was made by 40 ragtop down.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Why is the rear wheel so far forward in the opening? is the leaf kit rearend job not done correctly??

40merc.jpeg

13. Ok, sounds like I am going to need to fab some stuff to move it all up. I really didn’t look at it all too hard yet.

chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  14. I’m thinking I will likely start over on the mounts and make it all right.

15. alchemy

alchemy

A little alignment issue will be hidden by the skirts, but a height issue won't.

Sancho, Okie Pete, Dan Hay and 2 others like this.
  16. I’ll set the car at the ride height I want.
    I’ve even removed suspension parts and set the car at the ride height needed.
    Take measurements.
    When you know the tire height you plan to use, divide that measurement in half for a close spindle and axle centerline location.
    then you determine the mods needed for it to sit that way.
    Saves time in the long run

17. Looks like there are no spring pads on the axle yet, so should be easy enough to get things where they go and design and build nice brackets. That’s when my engineering degree and the fact that I have access to a whole prototype shop with a waterjet, brake, machine centers, etc. sure comes in handy for this stuff. :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Three single hitters. A Corvair, a 4-dr Edsel and a more door Buick. Along with a couple 3 pickups. Then you hit a grand slam with a 40 merc Coupe. Who would of thought while I`m munching on popcorn.

19. Lol...I don’t know. Most of the others ran and didn’t need near as much work. :rolleyes: But, yeah, I finally found something I don’t mind putting in the work to make nice knowing it will be kool when done. :D

chryslerfan55, drdave, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  20. desotot

desotot

May as well sell all the other cars, they will only stand in the,way and tie up valuable resources and time as you pursue the holy grail of cars.

Moriarity and guthriesmith like this.
  21. I will have some cars for sale soon, but won’t be getting rid of all of them. And, most of the cars are actually my boys. Silas is trying the sell the Edsel and his El Camino that we can’t talk about here. I need to sell Samuel’s (or I guess now my) vette that I took in on trade to help him buy a newer car. Oh, and that boat in the shop will be in the house garage soon since it is just in the way. The boys two pickups will stay since I hope to eventually finish each of those with them. My Fairlane is my one keeper even if everything else had to go. And, everyone needs an old pickup, so I plan to keep the GMC. I am debating what to do with the Buick though. :oops:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  22. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

We have a parallel leaf kit for those Mercs!

23. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're an ambitious fella. It's gonna be worth the work though. This is gonna be good!

24. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

what happened to the chopped shoe box

Okie Pete and guthriesmith like this.
  25. I assume you mean the one my son had? If so, he sold it a while back when he wanted a pickup instead. It is actually for sale again locally and I toyed with buying it back since I wanted a kustom. But, seems I found one I will like better in the end.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-1-23_4-15-56.png
    The whole squadron in Oklahoma…

Hello,

I saw my first 39-40 Mercury Coupe back in 1958-59 at Lion’s Dragstrip. It was bright orange and had the similarities of a 40 Ford coupe. It was chopped and looked mean.
    upload_2023-1-23_4-17-17.png

Orange/Red Mercury Coupe that was filmed at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1959-60.

The tall cab profile needs a little lowering. But not too low, so your son can also drive it comfortably.
    Your son is big, so he may not fit in the Mercury Coupe if it is chopped too much or sectioned, too.

The bones are there for customizing that Mercury Coupe. The photos of the full custom red coupe is a little far out there. There is no resemblance to the original Mercury Coupe style and profile. It looks like a 41 Chevy fastback.

Here is my drawing of the stock coupe with a mild chop. Then added full skirts.
    upload_2023-1-23_4-14-12.png
    Jnaki

But on the other hand, if a full custom is where you are headed, how about a section job in addition to the chopped top?
    upload_2023-1-23_4-18-4.png
    So, if you want something different and a full blown project, a cool Nomad style station wagon from the coupe would work for your family, if you could get it away from everyone… YRMV
    upload_2023-1-23_4-18-58.png
    latest look for 39 Mercury Coupe to station wagon. yrmv
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-4-22-22.1262051/#post-14459176

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    winduptoy and Okie Pete like this.