Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sawzalls......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot'nRodder, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Im lookin' into gettin' a Sawzall.. I was just wondering what ya'll got and how you like it. Also any suggestions on corded vs. battery powered. Im thinkin' corded cuz I hate when the damn battery goes dead in the middle of somethin', plus most don't have the power that corded ones do, BUT with battery you have the added benefit of being able to use it anywhere such as the wrecking yard or somewhere there isn't power. Im diggin' those Millwauke 28 volt battery one's, but damn there expensive!!

I'de just like to hear what you guy's have to say.

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Skil. buy it once and don't look back.
    avoid the cordless numbers. the batteries don't last for crap on those.

4. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Haven't bought one myself, but newer generation batteries with good manufacturer, spare battery, and quick charger and I wouldn't see a problem. I'd love to be able to take one to the boneyard to slice and dice things out there.

5. markanthony

markanthony

I have two milwaukees one that's about 30 years old and the other about 20... little problems with the cord along the way (wonder how that happened) but they feel right in my hands... maybe that's just because my started me using them when I was 8 but the others just don't feel right to me.... Just make sure you run a heavy enough extension cord to them....

6. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

Get the Millwaukee. We use these every day at work (I'm a Pipefitter/Steamfitter) in industrial places like refineries and blast furnaces. We've always used them, they work great and last forever. The cordless ones are slick, but they're HEAVY AS HELL, and they don't have close to the same power, and the batteries die quick. They do make them with detachable cords for easy storage, and a quick release chuck for blade changes. I have 2 myself for my house.

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I purchased a DeWalt earlier this year and am totally happy with it. It's a corded model and takes standard Sawzall blades. The blades go in with a flip of a lever and lock into place when the lever is down. Plus, you can stick the blade in N to S, S to N, E to W and W to E. How cool is that?

Was on sale at Home Depot for about a hundurd.

8. JAM

JAM

Porter Cable- I love mine. I could take down a skyscraper with that thing.

9. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I have both a corded Milwaukee(over 30 years old) and a cordless 18V Dewalt. The corded Milwaukee is bulletproof with the exception of the cord. I genneraly turn to the cordless dewalt when working in or around the car. The cordless has just as much power as the corded if not more. I have never had battery life be an issue. I have several batterys for my drill, circular saw, sawzall, flashlight, etc. I keep some in the chargers at all times. They do make parts chasing at the boneyard much easier.

Its much easier to chang the blade on my cordless as well. My Milwauke requires an allen wrench to change the blade. The Dewalt just uses a little latch. Over time the latch on the Dewalt may not be as durable as the set screw on the Milwaukee but I have not had any problems as of yet.

We have sent the Milwaukee back on several occasions for service and have been happy. I would guess the experiance would not be the same for the Dewalt. (just a hunch I have not had any bad experiance with Dewalt)

I guess I would have to say go with the cordless Dewalt over the Milwauke as long as you are not going to use it day in and day out in a major fabrication shop.

Again my Milwauke will last forever but you have to pay upfront for that kind of longevity.

10. gasman

gasman
    from Nebraska

I'll second that my wife got me one 4 years ago and I've used the hell out of it and it works great for a cheapy.

11. Mine is Porter-Cable too. Works great !

12. Wildfire

Wildfire

Milwaukee - the basic one. However, I hear the orbital cutting action models are faster. Whatever you get, make sure the blade change is easy. Mine just takes a turn of a spring-loaded knob and the blade falls out - Easy, easy, easy.

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have a Craftsman that I use for almost anything, but recently used my dads Milwaulkee, and man oh man...what a difference. Seemed like a much more precise and balanced machine (not to mention powerful) When I chop my shoebox that sawzall of his might just turn up on the side of a milk carton. :)

14. yeah.. me too. I bought the whole set efore I started building my garage and I use the crap out of all of it. the batteries hold up pretty well for my abuse.

15. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

My dad used to tell me that I could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet...

I've got a DeWalt 18V that I've carried for a few years now, trouble free. It's cut more than it's share of steel, and never fails.

Dad's got a Porter Cable 'Tiger Saw' which is a fine tool. Good motor, nice and torquey, makes cutting easy.

I've always liked the Milwaukee saws too.

Pay attention when you buy, you'll want one with variable speed, not an on/off switch.

Depending on what you're cutting, a port-a-band saw can come in handy. Cleaner cuts in tubing, faster too. I like it a lot better than an abrasive saw.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have two corded (Old Craftsman and a Skil) and one cordless (Dewalt 18 volt).. I usually grab the Dewalt if it's just a quick cut or if I'm going to the junkyard, if I'm cutting a lot of stuff I'll use the corded ones so I don't have to replace batteries (I have 4 batteries though)... I think even more important than the saw though is a quality blade.... I've been using "The Torch" blades... seem to be the best bang for the buck... cheap blades suck..

17. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Take it from the guy who fixes these for a living.

The Milwaukee ones are the thoughest built, period. The DeWalt heavy duty ones are second.

Both of these models use a "wobble plate" drive in them which holds up far better than most other systems. The "wobble plate" uses an offset bearing to move the blade in and out.

The cheaper machines use an eccentric gear which can strip if the saw gets jammed.

The Milwaukee 28Volt system has some bugs in it right now, I would wait a couple years before buying one but the 18Volt are tough as nails.

The cordless tools are usually the same tool as the corded one but with a DC motor instead. Only problem is the battery dies fast no matter which one you buy.

Personally, I have a Makita 14.4 volt recip saw and I beat the hell out of it.

No matter which one you buy, buy the best you can afford.

P.S. watch the warranty.

Makita: 1 year
    DeWalt: 1 year
    Porter Cable: 1 year
    Skil: 1 year
    Bosch: 3 years
    Hitachi: 5 years
    Milwaukee: 5 years

Shawn

18. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Milwaukee is the winner hands down in my book. I've used most brands and they can't be beat for my dollar.

Bill

19. crossthread

crossthread

For a great way to keep your good sawsall in good condition is to purchase
    a HF or other cheapie brand saw as a loaner for the guy down the street or
    thar brother in law you like so much.

20. skyrodder

skyrodder

LOL I call mine the plumbing finder.. man people put plumbing in places you never expect...

21. Ole don

Ole don

If a rodder is buying one, checkout the pawn shop. If its a milwaukee or other good brand, and you dont need to make a living with it, a used one will last a life time.

22. Squablow

Squablow

I have a DeWalt myself and I have used Milwaukee ones alot. Either one is an excellent tool. I've been told the Milwaukee ones last forever, I have used some that looked like they were 20 or 30 years old already, how many power tools can claim that? My DeWalt has been used a ton in the 5 or so years I've had it and has never let me down. I like the DeWalt's blade changing system better than the Milwaukee but I'd take either one.

Pawn shops do seem to have a lot of these for sale, but I'd be worried that they're stolen and I can't stand thieves.

I like the idea of a Harbor Freight one to loan out to your neighbors to keep yours nice. That's really funny and would probably work too.

I've never had a cordless one but my Dad has one, I think it's a Ryobi. He loves it, I'm gonna borrow it one day at the junkyard and see how they work, might have to get one, sounds handy.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I bought a new Millwauke with a cord last year, it replaced the one Dad bought new 30 years ago. That old one had a rebuild some were 10-12 years ago, but buying the new one was better than a second overhaul.

24. 48bill

48bill

I've had a Milwaukee for over 20 years. It has the quick replace cord which (knock on wood) I've never replaced. I've used it for demo on houses, cars and even cutting out shrubbery. It is dynamite and just keeps cutting thru any thing. I got an offset blade attachment years ago whih allows you to get in close to corners , walls or what have you.

Someone said it was a real "wire finder", not experienced there, but I have nicked a water pipe when tearing out a customer's wall. Second floor over the grand piano on the first floor.

25. tdoty

tdoty

I'd have to vote for either the Milwaukee or Porter Cable. I bought the Porter Cable after borrowing my boss's. Fell in love with to the point I had to go buy my own!

Tim D.

26. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

I've got a Milwaukee in Storage that's about 20+ years old and still cuts better than my brand new Craftsmen (needed one cheap & quick) Battery powered ones suck from everyone I know who has one.

27. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I've got a corded Milwaukee that I am very happy with. Stay away from cheap imported blades no matter what you choose.
    Pete

28. Ive had my corded Milwaukee super sawzall for about 6 years. I love it, and all my friends that cant stop borrowing it love it. Never given me a lick of trouble.

29. jerry

jerry

I had a craftsman, repalced it with a used milwakee I bought used from a reatal store. Have not regreted getting the milwakee. Love the thing. It's never let me down.

jerry

30. Eisenfaust

Eisenfaust
    BANNED

Skip the battery stuff-I bought a Porter cable- bulletproof AND cheap- If I had mucho denero I'd have probably bought a Milwaukee (pronounced Mulwawkee) ...