Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Driveshaft emergency brake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tack, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Pretty sure, last email I received about it was a month or so after I pulled a Ranger rearend. Was maybe 6-8 months ago? Seems it happens on a holiday Monday

2. gene-koning

gene-koning

The nearest pull a part here quit the 1/2 price days when the pandemic hit, and it hasn't returned.

Yep, bring on any complete Mopar 8 3/4 after made after 1966, for $150, I'm interested. You can barely buy a 2:76 open center section for under $200 around here, let alone a complete rear end.

The last 8.8 I bought was a 3:73 gear limited slip with recently replaced disc brakes, with sales tax it was under $200, regular off the street price, no discounts, they pulled it and put it in the bed of my pickup.
    Any tapered axle Mopar rear end (65 or older) would be in the scrap pile without a second thought. I drive my stuff, parts wear out.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Is it possible to get any other images of this fab job ? It looks great I’d like to see how the straps are attached to the rear of the housing . I’d like to do this to my OT Power Wagon Dana 60 rear . Thanks and be safe

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. I'll have to get under the truck and take some more photos later today or tomorrow. I used 1-inch strap steel to secure it to the ham. The body was 1/4-inch plate, I think. I'll mic out the pieces when I shoot some photos and eliminate my foggy memory from the facts. There may be information regarding the caliper itself, too, a combination of mechanical and hydraulic that a friend sourced.

deathrowdave likes this.
  5. inthweedz

inthweedz

I would prefer the handbrake to operate on each rear wheel..
    Not too far back, we had a refuse truck park on a wet slope, one wheel on the grass and the other on concrete, the driver hauled on the (drive shaft) handbrake and got out..
    The weight of the truck and wheel on the concrete caused the wheel on the grass to spin in reverse, causing the truck to roll down the slope and over a bank..

BJR and Beanscoot like this.
  6. IMG_2263.JPG IMG_2264.JPG
    I hope these photos help. I tried to capture as much as possible. The straps are 1-1/4 inch by 1/8 inch thick and the plate steel they attach to are 1/4 inch thick.

Attached Files:

7. ^^^^they are normally ball and trunnion transmissions. I have not seen one with a normal u joint that I recall.

A line lock kind of defeats the purpose. It won't work if your brakes quit working.

jaracer likes this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd bet a coffee n donut theres a bolt on backing plate, one with the same axle flange dimensions but from a later model. These OEMs waited til hell froze over to change engineering.

9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

This one's on a 33 in the "Cars For Sale" classifieds now.
    18.jpg

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Thank you , that’s a great fab job . I don’t think you have a Dana 60 , not easy to adapt to one , after seeing how you did yours ..

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Ha ha! It's a little different over here!
    Most of the time no inspections are needed even for reviving long dead cars, if they are already registered. Of course it does depend on State / Province, some are more casual than others.

12. Sure is :rolleyes: . Here the emergency brake must work on both rear wheels which ofcourse is its, real purpose.

My original question was , does a driveline emergency brake allways block the same wheel or is it sometimes Leftside and then next time Rightside.

13. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Drive line brake works on both wheels, until one loses traction then you have no brake at all (unless its a limited slip)

jaracer likes this.
  14. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I commend you for at least wanting to go to the trouble of having a park brake.
    However IMHO, that kind of park brake is a dead loss and you would be better off with an emergency style brake capable of locking both rear wheels in your case.
    Just my 2 cents worth...

BJR likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

I’d say it depends on where the vehicle is used, you stay on pavement, stay on dirt and wet trails?
    Let me ask you all that are discounting just locking one wheel up. Do you folks on a daily basis to and from work, family vacations, weekend trips here and there, set the parking brake each and every time?
    In 45 years of having a drivers license, the only times I ever used my parking brake “on the road “ was was when I was told it was a law in SF when clocking the wheels to the curb and parking on the hills.
    Other than that, just when I raise the front end up for jackstands.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yeah, if you don't park the car on hills in the snow, or wet grass or mud, a driveshaft brake should be just fine.

Years ago a logger I worked for told me about one of the big pieces of equipment at his old work site which had a driveshaft parking brake. It was parked on a hill in the snow, with one wheel on pavement and the other in the wet snow. It started down the hill, with the outboard wheel in the snow spinning backwards!
    He thought it was quite a sight.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Remembering there is a difference between a park brake and emergency brake.
    The latter is much more sturdy...

dirt t likes this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

OK, This BS has been going on long enough.

On a locked rear end (posi, limited slip), with the driveshaft not able to turn, both wheels are locked as well, the clutch pack in the rear end binds the wheels (axle shafts) together with the pinion shaft. It it isn't broken, nothing can turn if the pinion can't turn.

With an open rear end, if the driveshaft can't turn, the rear wheels can turn through the spider gears, but they turn in opposite directions, one would turn forward, the other would turn in reverse. If an open rear end is out of a car with a driveshaft still connected, you can hold the drive shaft and walk the rear end in a circle (either direction), but you can't pull it forward or push it rearward without manually dragging both wheels. Jack a car up with both rear wheels (if rear wheel drive) off the ground and test me on this.

Some of you guys are getting carried away (or full of BS)! A brake on a driveshaft yoke on a rear end can (should be able to) actually lock up the pinion on the rear end from turning, the only way it can roll is if one tire can spin in the opposite direction, if one wheel can't spin, the car won't move (both wheels have to slide). If the brake is on the transmission end of the driveshaft, as long as the drive shaft is intact, it has the same effect as if the brake was on the pinion shaft of the rear end.

If you put your automatic trans in park position, the park pawl locks into the output shaft (or a gear on the output shaft) of the trans, and does the same thing as a driveshaft mounted brake would do, lock the driveshaft from turning. How many have had a problem with an automatic trans car roll or slide down a hill if it was in park? Its the same deal with a manual trans, if its in gear, and the motor is off, for the car to move, either the motor has to turn over, or the clutch is bad, or the drive shaft is broken. The rear end isn't usually figured into the process, it works the same regardless of the type of transmission in front of it when the driveshaft can't turn.

An E brake, or parking brake (the original, and now current name for the secondary brake system, thanks to corporate lawyers) is just a secondary back up for the hydraulic brake system, or for locking the driveshaft from turning. Both are more certain if that additional locking is done at each rear wheel (that eliminates any possible remote events from keeping things working as a back up). Usually, the E brake or parking brake are mechanical in nature as a separate operation for safety reasons. As with any mechanical system, everything has to function as designed for the system to work.

Carry on.

Boneyard51, egads, Sporty45 and 6 others like this.
  19. error404

error404
    from CA

I know old Jeeps are probably taboo around here :rolleyes: but they all have e-brakes on the back of the Dana 18 transfer case before the rear driveshaft. drum brake from the factory, but some folks put a disc back there.

I'll go away now.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  20. twenty8

twenty8

.... and parking pawls have been known to fail, so also yes.

XXL__ likes this.
  21. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

That is why there is a GVW limit for a transmission to have a parking pawl. Once over that limit they rely on the parking brake and no park .

Boneyard51 and twenty8 like this.
  22. twenty8

twenty8

More info please. As far as I know they are just different names for the same thing, also known sometimes as a handbrake.

Beanscoot likes this.
  23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Oh come on. Surely we can get another page or two out of this.
    But the analogy to a park pawl on an automatic transmission is excellent.

Boneyard51 and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Good point, but if one wheel was locked up instead of two, would you have ever been in a situation that both wheels locked would have been needed?
    I certainly wasn’t discounting a parking brake, but still think for most vehicles, two locked wheels aren’t really needed.

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Wrong some vehicle manufacturers in the past stipulated the brake offered was either an emergency brake of a park brake.
    I'd much prefer an emergency brake...
    An emergency brake is a park brake, but not the other way around.
    However, in this case the original question was with respect to a PARK brake so my comments were slightly off topic lets say...

Try a Jag park brake in an emergency and see how it works.
    I'm also told some of those disc setups on the diff pinion aren't real fancy in an emergency situation either, yet they will hold just fine for parking...

26. twenty8

twenty8

Weird, but I can't find any info that backs this up. Everything I am reading is saying it is just different terminology for the same thing.....:confused:

Ned Ludd likes this.
  27. Please stop all the mad science and find 2 blocks of wood with a small 36 in long rope holding them together. We're not building the Staten Island Bridge

Tman, egads and Budget36 like this.
  28. twenty8

twenty8

You can't get more traditional than that.......:D

29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Twenty8, you must be right then TROLL!!!!

30. Uhhhhh…..he’s correct, they became park brakes when tandem master cylinders came around, no longer needed an emergency brake as a back up. But don’t let facts get in the way of your name calling!:D

fiftyv8 likes this.