Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Performer vs Winters for a traditional 327

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by raoul duke, Jan 27, 2021.

1. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If there is concern about running an HEI, why bother even running a vintage era intake.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. yep the restoration craze has spiked prices on ebay and most other places, but you can still find a deal now and then. I just picked up a mint L79 intake in a estate sale for 200 bucks. The Z/28 intakes are what the C3b and later performers were copied off of. You can somewhat date the intakes without pulling the splash shield as they slightly changed over the years, mainly in the orientation of the water neck and by 1970 they got rig of the fill tube. 69 intakes have the provision for it, but have a plug pressed in. The L79s are easy to spot as their front runner has the notch in them like what Denny has.

Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

The '67-'72 intake is worth about 10-15 hp over the L-79 intake....

1Nimrod and Taboo56Chevy like this.
  4. I would agree with that. The Z/28 intake was a super manifold from an OEM. It will really wake a small block up.

1Nimrod, Deuces and mcsfabrication like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, I'm sure incremental improvements were attained by future intake engineering but solid lifters(Z-28) didn’t hurt either as well as the increase in cubic inches with the LT-1(350).
    It would be interesting seeing actual dyno numbers by just putting the earlier (L-79) intake manifold on both a 69(302) and a 70(350), which If I remember right are the same intake, but keeping the Holley carburetor from the later apps. And by the way, the last real hi-performance small block was the 1970 LT-1, those 71's and 72's were somewhat "neutered".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  6. i ran a winters on my 327 then switched to a air gap performer. the only difference i saw was above 6500 rpm. the performer was good for a extra 1000 rpms. how often are you going there. the winters looked way cooler i must say.

7. the winters intakes are great factory performance intakes, but, they can bring a premium on ebay. probably enough to buy a few performer intakes. My brother has a collection of BBC winters aluminum parts. When he wants to sell, the "restorers"come looking, & pay big

1Nimrod, Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  8. Fordors

Fordors

What is being called the L-79 intake in this thread was introduced on the 327-340 horse ‘62 Corvette, and was in use with slight variations on hi-perf combinations until the 1967 Z-28 came out.
    Also, the C4B came out in 1965 and if anything the radiused runners it had were copied by Chevrolet engineers for the ‘67 Z-28 manifold.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    1Nimrod likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Strictly talking OEM applications here, (not a HAMB biggie I know).
    As you said, just some incremental changes over the years but the 62/63 340 hp intake has its own casting number, the 64/65 its own and the 66/67 its own.
    For those that the numbers matter, the internet is there for you.

1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

seeing the design of the Winters I see why in more than one reasons people would run it - for the average guy that does not have access to a super price deal Edelbrock Performer with a 1" Trans Dapt #2431 Swirl-Torque carb spacer under a Edelbrock 1406 will get extra low RPM power - ran this set up on a '65 Nova SS with a completely rebuilt/blueprinted 327/365 HP motor by a top level shop - the 365HP actually was Corvette fuel injected model - had trans upgraded - but, really needed posi-traction since from a dead stop the rear of car would go sideways trying to pass up the frontend - Fun!

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

365hp was a 4 bll carb, Fuel Injected was 375hp

theHIGHLANDER, Jibs, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  12. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

This one has run on a lot of my small blocks and works great! thumbnail (35).jpg thumbnail (36).jpg thumbnail (36).jpg

sidewayzz69, 1Nimrod and Deuces like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- Thanks for correcting

14. Ya, the twist was on the big block ones. Remember modifying throttle linkage on my buddy's Nova SS, to work on the new "upgrades" we did.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Wasn’t too bad for me, I had a cable. I remember giving the intake to a friend of my dad for his boat engine. He loved it, but his engine lived at 6k.

1Nimrod and Algoma56 like this.
  16. sdluck

sdluck

Where is the vent for the pcv?

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Between the valve cover and the vacuum advance canister.

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Compression drop...:(

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!....:)

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. banjorear

banjorear

Correct. I had a high rise Holley intake that was cast by Winters. The snowflake W is a neat little logo

21. Deuces

Deuces

That intake was probably identical to the Z/28 intake except for some crosshatch ribbing cast on top near the runners... Sorry I forget the part # on it....:confused::(
    I had one at some point in my life.... Just don't remember which car I had it on.....

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

4353129-248fd75082f1aa7ac5ecd70b1c947941.jpg
    What's up with the GM "CASTING NUMBERS" on the back of this Intake Manifold ??

The first two Number's the (38 or 39) are cast looking, the way they should look when the aluminum Intake Manifold was first cast year's ago.

The next six Number's 72116 however (to me) "LOOK STAMPED" into the Intake Manifold ??
    (Unless the picture is tricking my Old Eye's somehow ??)

If you look closely you can see what looks like (to me) little grinding wheel marks were the last six "Cast GM Number's Were" It now (to me) looks as if someone changed the last six "CASTING NUMBERS" and "Stamped The Number's back onto the Intake Manifold" ??

Please tell me, are my eyes playing tricks on me, or am I getting old and blind ??

☆Question-
    Did all the SBC V8 aluminum GM Winter's Intake Manifolds-
    (*Like ALL the SBC V8 Cast Iron GM Factory Intake Manifolds had Number's 1-8 Cast on their Runners*)
    -have "Casting Number's 1-8 on each Runner" To show Us the correct Number for that Spark Plug or Cylinder on each of the Intake Manifolds ??

That's a Great Looking Intake Manifold, But is it a real GM FACTORY Intake Manifold or ??
    Something seems off (to me) about this Intake Manifold?

Please School me on what is or isn't right on this Intake Manifold, so I can learn what to look for to make sure it's not an imposter, and to point out how to correctly identify GM WINTER'S Intake Manifolds.

Thank y'all very much for your help...

Dustin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  23. banjorear

banjorear

Correct. A fair number of early Holley SBC intakes were cast by Winters for them.

24. squirrel

squirrel

intake.jpeg
    could be that the changes were made to the core that was used to make the mold.

That started some time in the late 1970s, I think. Early Chevy intakes never had the cylinder numbers on the runners, only the firing order.

Looks ok to me.

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. The casting numbers have been ground off. Most likely someone tried to change the number to fit the car they were trying to say it was for, or it could have been a manifold left over between years. The 69 and early 70 manifolds are the same but changed casting numbers. One thing to look at is the fill tube hole. Later 70 models were cast over and you would then have to machine out the hole to add the tube. 71 intakes were revised to omit the flat area all together. This manifold has also had the common little notch cut between the plane wall to allow a little cross flow, sometimes you see old race versions where it was hogged out to make it a single plane.

The cylinder numbers on the runners started in 1971

outside of the ground casting number the snowflake looks right and the runner design and thermostat hole tell me is a real deal 69 or 70 manifold that is off a production engine.

Chevy also made a run of accessory/over the counter intake manifolds. They were 69/70 style only way to tell them apart is they moved the snowflakes position and then they also cast a little bowtie right above the casting number but other wise they are the same intake. Some have the fill tube hole machined out and some dont, just depends on when the intake was made.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

sidewayzz69, Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  26. Fogger

Fogger

I own three running small block powered cars and they all have GM 3844461 intakes. The '32 3W has a 750 Holley and Mondello ported heads, I matched the intake runners and opened the carburetor base to accommodate the carb. My '32 Roadster has a 283 and a WCFB carb, I made an adapter plate to run the carb. My '55 Delray has a 283 with a 500 cfm Carter 4-barrel. I personally like the early GM Winters intakes with the oil fill tube that fills from the passenger side, it makes routing the top radiator hose very easy on the early cars. I've owned all the intakes for more than 20 years and the current prices are crazy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    1Nimrod likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had an extra cast iron L79 style GM water neck that I wanted to use on the 350 in my 66 Suburban but I was having problems finding a suitable radiator hose so I had to get creative.
    I bored holes in two pieces of 3/8" aluminum plate, drilled and tapped threads and cut out two adapters then oriented them where needed and had a friend TIG weld them on the inside. 20160412_124903.jpg

28. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Does GM still have that Heavy Duty Cast Iron Z/28 type water inlet available?

1Nimrod

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

1Nimrod, Taboo56Chevy and Deuces like this.
  30. 1Nimrod likes this.