Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Balance Beads Revisited... Feedback?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jan 3, 2023.

1. So after a long, drawn-out process of getting my new wheels for my '60 convertible and having the tires from Diamondback on the way, I decided that I'd give these a try. Seems that those who have used them are happy with the results. But it doesn't seem to be as simple as I thought...

What kind of beads? Who knew that there's multiple types of beads, with some sellers touting theirs? Ceramic? Glass? Metal? Both coated and uncoated, and several kinds of coatings? Is there any actual difference, or is this smoke and mirrors?

And how much in each tire? A definitive answer to that is in short supply, with the few charts I can find being skewed towards SUV/trucks, off-road, semi trucks, and motorcycles/scooters, with no passenger car listings. One place recommended one ounce per 13 lbs of wheel/tire weight. Or again, is this a big deal? Most recommend 3 ounces in 'smaller' tires (up to about a 225/75-15), 4 ounces in 'larger' tires, whatever than means.

Comments?

Petejoe and Stogy like this.
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I use the ceramic ones, and basically use double the recommended amount, but I also run cheap tires. They will balance with ice, snow, or mud stuck to the wheels to a certain degree, and with my trucks, that is a good thing.

Stogy likes this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

PS, they also clear everything, and don't mark up wheels where weights may rust, or leave a stain behind them.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used glass beads. They did have a chart per Tire size if I recall...do they work?...Yes they do...my tires are tubed Firestone Champion Bias ply...

I can smoothly get to 60mph without realizing it since those beads went in...that's good and bad I guess...I just watch my speed really...I can run up to

One of my front tires was deemed near unbalancable so these beads allowed me to run them as there was good tread left...it's been near 5 years for me on them now.

It's pretty smooth till near 70mph then they get a little shaky...I don't know if adding more beads would smooth that out or not but I don't really drive that fast unless passing and yes I will be purchasing new front tires in the near future as the oldies are getting there...

I believe I have 3.5 ounces in the fronts and 3 in the backs...

0_20221110_133726.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    wheeldog57, 2Blue2 and Petejoe like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the charts...there are several sections I used classic cars...

https://counteractbalancing.com/applications/

This company of which I have no affiliation was the one I used. Just as a side note I did get the special valve inserts but never installed them. I have not experienced any issues with the originals regarding beads getting jammed in them while topping up with air.

Petejoe likes this.
  6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dyna Beads. 4oz/tube in Coker Classics.
    No problem. Little tricky inserting them.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If ya put enough beads in they’re kinda like run flats.

I tried them on those square cokers before I tossed em, the beads come with a little applicator that worked pretty well.

The tire store that dismounted them wasn’t happy about the beads flying all over. I blamed it on someone else.

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Good one Billy.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. Joe H

Joe H

We use beads at work in 11R22.5 bus tires with pretty good results. The bigger the bead, the long it takes to balance out, the smaller beads balance faster but tend to plug the valve stems. I run 4 oz bags in my Toyota Tacoma, 245/75R16. I find with mine that they balance out pretty quickly at highway speeds, but if I have to slow way down due to congestion, they go out of balance and shake the truck terribly. The only way to stop it is to either come to a stop, or hit the rumble strips on the sides of the highway to shake up the beads. Mine are the really small beads and they static cling really good, so shaking them up keeps the loose. I believe mine are came from Counteract beads seen in the link above.

Stogy likes this.
  10. HankAz

HankAz

I use Magnum+ in my semi both tractor and trailer. There is a chart on the side of the container to put the right amount in each tire. They are glass and are the bigger size so they won't plug the valve stem. You can reuse them if you can collect them when you dismount your tires. I've not had any luck reusing them because they are usually full of soapy water from dismounting them.

Stogy likes this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve, I tried them on two different sets of Cokers and they will not make an out of round tire run smooth. I now have a set of Diamondback Auburns that aren't quite round either and am looking for someone to true them. The only wide whites I have found that run true are the Diamondback DBIII. They are built on a BFG Radial T/A. YMMV. Good luck!

12. HAHA!
    "Coker, selling square tires for 3 decades"

13. Mine aren't wide whites and I specified Cooper Cobras as I'm not a fan of Goodrich tires. I'm not anticipating any issues from that direction....

rockable likes this.
  14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess my point is, regular computer balancing will work just fine without beads if your tires are round. Good luck!

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is perhaps a problem with certain tires in the lineup...there are as many that have no issues and we see countless Hambers pushing these Tires over the miles at speeds well above posted limits...

I think my near unbalancable bias tire problem may have been caused by the over strapping of the tire doing internal damage on the Hotrod when it was shipped my way via transport...

I understand frustration though if you are the one with tires that don't meet a balancable criteria...the beads really did make my situation tolerable...

We mustn't forget Bias Plys and shaving...some may argue that the molds could be improved but that said shaving may still be a necessary evil that rarely exists today...

I guess with the competition for vintage look tires widening all involved will have to make decisions on product quality to compete or lose business...

Tman likes this.
  16. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Counteract beads off Amazon or Napa. 3oz for the 14” tires. Love em so far. I switched over just because I’m cheap. Bought a manual tire changer so I wouldn’t have to pay 20 a tire anymore.

leon bee, Cosmo49, Packrat and 3 others like this.
  17. So, are you running beads with no other balancing?

Stogy likes this.
  18. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Yes correct. I even put them in my trailer tires. Extends the life of them

19. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I have travelled 120k+ miles on three sets of tires on my 1949 Chevy 1/2 ton ALL using Dyna-Beads. The first set I had I purchased a set of gently used radials in a size recommended to me, 215 85R 16's and they still passed inspection after 40k miles. My cruising speed in overdrive is 72-75 mph, comfortable, one handed driving, basically, a farm truck of the 40's going Interstate speeds. My initial reason for the beads was I was gifted an original set of wheels with original pin stripes and I was bound and determined not to ruin their beauty with ugly wheel weights. Did I say "I love the beads?" No?, I meant to. I want to add my truck was a dd/only vehicle for 15 of my 25 years of ownership.

Stogy, Bill's Auto Works and Tman like this.
  20. goldmountain

goldmountain

You are supposed to be able to put them in through the valve stem. There are even videos showing how this is done but I'm incapable of doing it.

21. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

9F279E10-65EC-448B-856B-568D0F607376.png There is a special schrader valve with a screen on the end. Important thing is to always put some air into the tire before checking tire pressure. It’ll blow the beads out of the valve stem. Also in the old days. My old man would use tranny fluid. Same concept

Stogy, Bill's Auto Works and Cosmo49 like this.
  22. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Had mine done by my buddies tire shop, on radial tubeless they just throw in the required packet and the thin bag comes apart freeing the beads to do their job. On my second set I put the beads in myself through the valve stem. I forget the exact procedure, but there are directions I am sure on how to do it at home.

Stogy and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  23. Well, so far I'm getting that larger beads are much less likely to clog up your valve stems (but harder to install through the stem), ceramic is the bead material of choice, and hitting bumps will help distribute the beads. This latter thing isn't a problem for me given the roads I drive... LOL. One thing I haven't seen really addressed is how well do they work at higher speeds, say up to 100 mph? Not that I go that fast often, but it's nice to have the capability in passing situations. And putting morons far behind you can be a good defense.

And do they work well in wider/lower aspect ratio tires, say up to 10-11" wide? These tire sizes are notable by their absence on all the bead charts I see, you have to wonder why.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

The beads settle on a point on the cycloid curve.

Stogy likes this.
  25. I can highly recommend The CounterAct Glass Balance Beads!

I have well over 1.5 million miles on them in both my Transporting Trucks, both my trailers & all of my cars that I have put new tires on! Not only do they keep the tires balanced throughout their life (unlike weights, because a tires balance changes as it wears), but it extends the life of the tires. The only position I do NOT use them in is the rear of my 1 ton dually & that is only because before they came out I bought "Centramatics" which are a ring that goes between the dual rear wheels & have the beads inside of them. Those I transferred from my old 1 ton to the one I am using now, so those have over 2 million miles on them.

I personally would not use the steel beads, because they tend to wear the inside of the tire, I will not use the ceramic ones either as they tend to turn to dust over time. I have used my glass beads over routinely.

A note : they come with a special schrader valve to keep the beads from getting into it causing you to lose you air when you check the pressure, so USE THEM!:D

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to add a note to my glass beaded tires...I did leave the lead weights on. They didn't recommend that but I left them figuring they minimize the amount of beads I had to add...

I had so much hell making these tires work I settled for the notably smoother ride between 0 and 65mph. I felt if I removed the weights I may undo what I gained. Sorry I didn't mention that.

My beads are the smaller beads in tubes and again I have never had an issue with the original valve inserts leaking. I did order the special inserts but didn't require them...it's been several years now...

I never block my Hotrod, just park it and start it and drive...no notable flat spots.

That is likely due to the fact they did many years ago change belt material thankfully. @Moriarity has mentioned this numerous times...

Bill's Auto Works and Moriarity like this.
  27. no55mad

no55mad

Have used the air gun plastic beads obtainable from the sporting good stores. Bubble balance first and then 3 ounces of beads.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess if your application is not addressed it may not be your cats meow...perhaps a phone call may give one the information they seek...perhaps big ass wide tires are a problem even with conventional weights...

To me my skinny firestone pie crust bias plies benefit positively from ceramic without the special valves and I still benefit 3 - 4 years later...for what its worth I could install the special valve inserts but again several years with numerous air adjustments I haven't encountered problems...I guess we all pic our battles...the fella I spoke with at Counteract said valve issues are rare.

Reading the instructions helps of course...

Cosmo49 likes this.
  29. I just put Airsoft pellets in my OT vintage motorhome (the ones made 73-78 by one of the Big 3 automakers). On the forum for them, quite a few guys use them and are very happy with the results. I have basically 0 miles since putting them in, so I have no opinion yet.

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps the scenario that the beads are utilized in affects their longevity rather than just saying they turn to powder...

As an example mine are in tubes...rubber everywhere. Perhaps when used in tubeless tires the beads are exposed to the steel rim causing impacts that lessen their longevity...there are so many variables...

Each type of tire has it's unique exposures to the beads and that may determine what type one should invest in...I guess research is our best friend really.

I just realized the Counteract beads are glass...I mistakenly identified them as ceramic...I will correct that...

Bill's Auto Works likes this.