Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OHV B motor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by douglasb, Dec 7, 2022.

1. douglasb

douglasb

20221205_124300.jpg 20221015_101729.jpg 20221015_101447.jpg Hello all im looking for some advice. I have a jenkins OHV B motor and my issue is that she has always run cool even in vegas 100+temps she would be 160. There was no thermostat and a 5 blade flex fan. Now its getting colder out and the motors too cold. Wont go above 100. I added some cardboard covering the radiator for a road teat and she was around 160-180.
    Today i added a 180 thermostat and she still runs @100. I doubled check the temps with an infrared gun tonight. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

1932 b motor with jenkins OHV
    Custom 2x2 with 81s
    180 thermostat

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    GuyW, Deuces, AVater and 1 other person like this.
  2. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Where is the thermostat? Where is the engine temp measured?

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

Cool rig, never heard of a Jenkins. Did your new thermostat have a small by pass hole in it ? Hard to believe the 180 did not cure the problem, but try a higher temp, and or test the 180 in a pan of water to see if its working.

Deuces likes this.
  4. douglasb

douglasb

20221207_210636.jpg 20221207_210643.jpg Screenshot_20221207-074511_eBay.jpg The thermostat right at the top outlet. Ans engine temp is on the back of the head. With a new electrical stewart warmer gauge. The gauge is accurate. I copied this thermostat design.

5. douglasb

douglasb

Thanks Rusty valley. I added a tiny bypass hole but didnt test out the thermostat. As it was "new" but i know they arent 100% accurate anymore

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a cottor pin in the hole, cut the area in half….. why do you think old Ford had a winter grille louver accessory???? How many over the road truckers have a snap on grille/radiator cover? All of them.

7. that is a really cool looking motor. you obviously have done a lot of work on it. Any idea how much horsepower it puts out?

8. I've heard compression makes heat. Low compression, low heat. Stock A car motors ran 2 blade fans. Personally I'd totally remove the Fan Blade for cold weather. Yes, blocking the air flow through the radiator is acceptable. You could also slow down the water pump by changing pully dia. I would have done that before installing a thermostat.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My eyes can't make out those tiny photos to tell anything. No real info on the Jenkins conversion except for a one lung air cooled engine.

10. Gorgeous engine.
    I must admit I never run a temperature guage on my four bangers. Or in fact any guages.
    That's a lot of fan on there though. I just use a stock two blade.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  11. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Thats a huge fan. And structly speaking you are running the wrong width belt for the fan pully therefor its running on a smaller base circle so too fast. Run a much smaller fan or fewer blades. You may need to change the pully on the generator but as it is its the profiles are mismatched. 4 cylinder ford pullys use a "B section" belt

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  12. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

I had the same problem with the Gemsa, i run a 33-36 water pump and no fan, at last i had success with a nos flathead V8 thermostat, the cool old bellow type. now i get about 175 F in both water and oil, but it takes 25 minutes.
    3 gallons of coolant and a lot of aluminum heat dispatch.

rusty valley likes this.
  13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a B motor with a CRAGAR and it takes forever to get over 160.

14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My B motor was cold natured, I did the same thermostat in the upper hose, now I run 160 consistently, only time it creeps up is in 100 plus temp in traffic, once it moves it comes right back down fast. I'm running a 2 blade alum fan. I think your fan is too efficient honestly.. Radiator probably stays super cold all the time with that much airflow, but it could be fine honestly, read my last comment before jumping to conclusions.

I do agree with the cotter pin in the thermostat hole is a good idea to slow it down a bit more. I would deff. check the thermostat for opening temp etc. Make sure it fits tight into the hose since your on that and it costs nothing to check other than pulling it apart and a little coolant.

Last thing I notice is your temp probe is right at the back of the cylinder head, this is not a true reading of what's coming out. So you could be running decent temp coming out to radiator honestly. I noticed the hose going from the side of your head to the discharge side of the water pump, Honestly I have no clue why they put that bypass there, I think its for a heater setup honestly, I would block that hose port out the side of the head and put the temp gauge into the hole in the water pump where the return goes.

Here is a pic of my B motor, not near as cool as your OHV!!! Note the water outlet with the bung in it, there are all kinds of places to put a gauge but it needs to be out the outlet to the radiator not in the head or block. Keep us updated with what you find and figure out.

COUPE 112.jpg

15. douglasb

douglasb

Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the fan this am put a clamp around the thermostat hosing to try and reduce the bypass. Ran it for @20 min and she stayed around 140-160. Went for a drive on the freeway and she dropped @100. Added some cardboard to block the top part of the radiator and coming home she was @130-140. I also added some radiator hose tubing wrapped around the intake to help heat the carbs as that was also an issue. Alot better now. 20221208_113001.jpg 20221208_112957.jpg