Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford P-up Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, May 21, 2013.

1. Had a short day garage wise and nothing really picture worthy. However, the battery cables are run and the battery move from the engine compartment to a trunk in the bed is complete.

Working on a crew to help with the hood install next …..

brEad and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please post up some pictures of the hood install. I have yet to paint mine so it is going on last. Any information will be appreciated.

3. All I know is the hood should go on first and before the rest of the nose with coupes and I would think trucks are no different. It’s just a hellofva lot easier to line things up to have it set right on the cowl so the fenders line up underneath it nice. Besides, it’s easier to mount the hood without the fenders on - especially since I am only 5’2” tall! Lol!

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, that is the way I hear as well but my hood is behind schedule and not painted yet. I have a small patch of steel to replace under the rear brace where leaves and such trapped moisture and caused a bit of rot. I removed the brace, had the hood and brace dipped, I need to patch the hood and replace the brace and then get to painting it.

Yours is going together backward as well so that makes your assembly very interesting to me. If I didn't a couple light years away, I'd come help and get some firsthand experience. In lieu, pictures and commentary will have to suffice.

Kepp up the good work. The world needs more 40/41 ford PUs.

The 39 guy and brEad like this.
  5. patsurf

patsurf

crown for medicinal use?

brEad, '28phonebooth and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My reputation proceeds me. Funny, I just poured a glass. Cheers!

brEad likes this.
  7. You guys have this skit down pat! Lol!

8. Some pics of the completed bed ….
    B46063E9-5BE5-45F5-A9D9-2EFD010D2549.jpeg
    E412DF67-425E-4083-A9F6-A9680A4102EB.jpeg
    DE428EE0-E084-42F6-8FA6-0FFF33284E50.jpeg

I have some of my buds coming over tomorrow morning to mount the hood. I have all the hardware at the ready, all threaded holes have been chased, the cowl has been covered ….
    B9CA461F-0DA6-4DB0-A754-97FBF8F89378.jpeg
    …. along with the engine. The idea is to:

1- first lay the back cowl edge of the hood right in the cutout of the cowl
    2- bolt the two lower hinges to the hood
    3- then rotate the hood and attach the arms
    4- I will then remove the cowl covering so we can test fit the hood ….
    48776853-DEF2-48E4-A6B9-C6592344089F.jpeg
    … with the exposed edge covered
    5- at this point I will adjust the hinges so the cowl gap is right
    6- and then see how level the hood is to the truck. This “level” will be taken off the top rail of the bed ….
    F6DAF53C-7E13-4410-9BE5-C4ADFD910BAE.jpeg
    AE2C26D4-3CBD-45A5-B9AA-A60EF201BA30.jpeg
    … and then transferred to the top of the hood to get me close.

At this point final adjustments will be made once the rest of the nose is in place. We will see how this all works out tomorrow but you know what they say - sometimes “the best laid plans of mice and men ….”. Fingers crossed!

Just Gary, The 39 guy, brEad and 5 others like this.
  9. Sorry but can't be there to help.
    Look forward to next post.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. I appreciate the sentiment - thank you.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure to ice down a bucket of suds for the boys. Other than that, it looks like you are ready!

12. Haha - it’s at 9am tomorrow - don’t think a bucket of suds will do it at that hour! Lol!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. The hood went on great! No runs, no hits, no errors, and no men left on base! I had 3 guys over and that really worked perfect - one each on the back side and one on the front nose piece. The cowl covering worked out great and the blue tape saved my bacon …..
    230911F8-BFFB-4C0B-8429-4DEC803070B3.jpeg
    57A89F8B-E5B0-40F2-AAFD-130036E035C5.jpeg
    7F83B237-07E0-407A-BA5D-4E36C0B445B3.jpeg
    6F705651-20AB-4682-B1BD-FA73A6A95B87.jpeg
    6853728E-6CC1-499A-9524-30C5E4733871.jpeg
    CC1757BF-9844-4FCD-9BB8-F07E74AD0132.jpeg
    B0B982F6-1DA8-49C4-990B-FF9F0E9EF139.jpeg
    6853728E-6CC1-499A-9524-30C5E4733871.jpeg
    6F705651-20AB-4682-B1BD-FA73A6A95B87.jpeg
    The passenger is up a bit in the back corner but we’ll see if we can straighten things out better once the fenders are on.

Attached Files:

14. Well done! Hopefully can get back on mine in this lifetime :mad:

Hamtown Al and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Thank you - I hope what I posted on the hood install was helpful. Honestly the hardest part was that rear hinge/arm bolt - I have small hands and it wasn’t easy!

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on the hood install. Looks like it fits like a charm. You are checking the "to do" boxes, on the road in no time. Thans for all the pictures, it helps.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  17. Thank you - I have rec’d so much help in my build thread that much of which I have accomplished up until now could not have have been done without that help. It takes a “hot rod” village and that’s this forum ….,

18. So, I have been cleaning up the shop and disassembling the 3-level roll around dolly where the hood sat. Presently, the top portion is off and the second level just has the seat on it so that will get on soon. The bottom level has one piece of bowed windshield glass and the rest is junk that I need to go through.

So, I got the fender to inner panel bolts and don’t you know I find the other 4?!?! Go figure! But, it was a good thing I ordered the new ones ….
    D51612DE-30B8-48EC-B91C-B4074E4B4D8B.jpeg
    …. as there is a substantial difference between the ones I was using on the right (I do not know where they came from) and the ones on the left which are from Vintique. Needless to say, I used the Vintique ones on both fenders.

I have family coming in starting tomorrow so garage time will be curtailed but we will see what happens ….

19. Got some time on the project today and I realized that I need to install the rear window and windshield glass before putting on the frontfenders as I would have a better reach. But in order to install the glass having the seat in would be a great help and to kind of prepare myself for the front windshield install, I started with the back window.

I got the seat uncovered and cleaned it with some carpet cleaner, scrubbing it with a brush as I went along. While it dried, I glued down some of the excess material around the window ….
    2F486674-EF32-44A7-A05F-69BE850E6E76.jpeg
    The window surround rubber will extend to the outer edge of the opening and should make for a nice finish.
    ADBB04D0-4711-47F0-A2DC-54313FE86E0E.jpeg
    This is a pic after the material cleaner but before it dried. When it was dry I installed the seat belts …
    60F1DD1A-1544-4AF5-A504-575DF27D6791.jpeg
    I then vacuumed the seat up good and my neighbor helped me install it ….
    192F5FE9-129F-4FF8-9235-70E0061D2C79.jpeg
    Remember that this is a 1992-3 Suburban 3rd seat that folds forward and is easily removed with fabricated factory mounts emulating what would be in the Suburban, similar to the Dodge Caravan 3rd seats ….
    5463D575-F7D7-4B6D-BDAA-8F29AF46CD60.jpeg

452EE2B8-7703-491F-972F-D69877B76E1C.jpeg
    It folds forward far enough to access the fuses, tools, and various fluids under and behind the seat easily which is great! There’s precious little room in the cab as it is so every little bit helps!

The bar you see is to allow the driver to release the seat to gold without going to the passenger side for the singular release the seat comes with.

I need to wait for the upholstery to dry and the window surround area more before attempting to install the window. But, I made some progress which I am very happy with …..

Just Gary, brEad, The 39 guy and 5 others like this.
  20. Good seat choice!

21. Ahhhh - you like that! Thank you! I built/completed another 40 pup a number of years ago using the same seat so I had a familiarity with it. Doing this previous truck also netted me the interior templates to finish this interior like I did the other ….. that was the orange p-up I posted previously

22. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Good progress TomT! I am enjoying your build , thanks for showing so much detail.

lothiandon1940 and TomT like this.
  23. Thanks for the updates! That seat is nice!

24. I look for the 92-93 seats from time to time - colors are good and they are all ready roll and pleated! Lol!

They remind me of the early T- bird seats …..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  25. I attempted to put the rear glass in on my own and after 3 hours of frustration, I had to stop before I broke something. I have one of two problems - the glass is either cut too big or the rubber is just not flexible enough on the inner lip to allow the glass w/rubber to “seat” in the window opening. I will have help later this coming week so I have ordered a new rubber seal and I will check the glass size in the opening once the old rubber is removed. This rubber was purchased in the mid 2000s from Drake andcc C although it’s not dried up., the outer lip is stiff. So, I am stymied at the moment.

I have been working on other small things, just not truck related. I just need to step away, clear my head, regroup, and have at it again. I have always said I get like a “bull in a china shop” at times when certain things get to me - this was one of them.

I did find a 2014 thread here on n the Hamb on 40 glass installation of which okiedokie was able to set me up with a pretty nice article with instructions - thank you - that will help with the glass install along with a reference to 3M Bedding and Glazing caulk to help seal things up which I have purchased.

I will keep you posted …

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@TomT you may want to bring that rear window rubber in the house and lay it on a furnace grate or in front of the fire to heat it up. Makes the job a bit easier.

27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just caught up with your progress. The engine sounds great. that fan is LOUD on the video. I hope it's better in person. You're really moving now; good progress. On the rear glass, I think I put the rubber seal on the cab and then installed the glass into the rubber with string. Lots of dish soap. You have that hood install down; good job.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  28. Bandit - I will probably use hot water as I do not have a fireplace and the heat vents are fairly small. I am still waiting for the info be I ordered.

Joel - yes, the fan is loud but it is a high rpm one was the curved blades. It will go on via hw temp control or by an override switch and I probably will only need it in heavy traffic and/or the AC is on. I needed a strong one to push through the AC condenser and get to the radiator. A fan shroud of some kind might be a future project. It does push a lot of air though!

I have been working on the glass installation as my buddy arrived late yesterday afternoon. Couple pics of the rear window ..,.
    F6F604D3-B7B8-4049-8B4F-9865DDE8CF08.jpeg
    3B2A6661-2D64-4CC0-AD60-849440766D69.jpeg
    We removed the rubber and checked the glass size. Since it sits inside the truck, it does not seem too big. We are going to put the rear window aside for now and work tomorrow n the front glass. I have everything oriented and we are going to install it from the inside. If you do it that way, the driver side is installed first as the fuel center overlay flap is now on the outside so as not to interfere with the inner flap of the passenger side.

Pics to come …..

hotrodA, Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Today wasn’t my best garage day - driver side went in but not without a battle but the passenger side ripped badly in two spots to where I have had to order new window seals.
    A real downer but in the whole scheme of things is nothing …..

I will keep you posted……

Bandit Billy likes this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me check my stash in the morning, I may have a new one in the wrapper.

TomT and lothiandon1940 like this.