Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Blue Flepro gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, Dec 1, 2022.

1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

Are these coated gaskets, ie intakes, suppose to be put on dry like their headgaskets. The blue coating is slick and looks special like it might bond under heat or pressure. Of course the factory manual says to use RTV around the jackets but thats old school. I was thinking of using permatex tack (purple) but now I am not sure.

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

3. squirrel

squirrel

On the blue "teflon" feeling intake gaskets, I use aviation permatex around the water passages, just because I'm an old fuddy duddy.

Randall, GordonC, Malcolm and 9 others like this.
  4. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

I like that aviation stuff too but reading the felpro info above it could cause leaks.

5. squirrel

squirrel

none of those tech tips in the link apply to the gasket situation where I use sealer. And I've been doing it for decades, they don't leak.

6. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Pretty much dry always worked for me...maybe a couple drops Gasgacinch to hold them in place.

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I always use a little RTV around the water passages. Never had a leak. Especially on older heads and intakes with slight pitting.

bchctybob, Bob Lowry and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm right there with several of the others, a bit of sealer dejour around the water passages and in the corners and call it good. Usually RTV since I started using it on the end rails but I have used that aircraft Permatex a lot in the past.

bchctybob and Bob Lowry like this.
  9. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Always have installed them dry per Felpro specs. No problems so far.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

You don't have to replace an antifreeze leaking intake gasket on a V8 in a mid 70s van very many times before you come to the conclusion that adding a little extra sealer around the water ports is cheap insurance for not having to do it again.

I've added the sealer around the water ports on every intake gasket I've replaced since that time. That was on a lot of intake gaskets over the years., regardless of what the instructions may say.

Desoto291Hemi and Hitchhiker like this.
  11. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

X2!!

12. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

I called Felpro and they said DRY for sure.

13. Joe H

Joe H

They, being Felpro are assuming the sealing surfaces are flat and true to each other, add in a few pits or gouges from gasket scrapping, a little sealer isn't going hurt a thing. My dad greases his intake gaskets so removal of the intake doesn't destroy the gasket, you can use them a long time before they need changing.

14. NoelC

NoelC

The content contained in this article is for informational purposes only and should not be used in lieu of seeking professional advice from a certified technician or mechanic. We encourage you to consult with a certified technician or mechanic if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered herein. Under no circumstances will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on any content.

Back in the day, gaskets were replaced, and they were just replaced. Then came the guy who wanting to make a buck created a sealer. Then the gasket makers noticed the guy making a buck from sealer and said, screw him, add it to the gasket. Then the gasket sealer guys said, we want our market share and developed specific types of sealants.

During this time, the manufacturers were doing what they do best, which was small design improvements that they could use to justify cost increases and to improve their profits.

JM394 - VALVE COVER GASKET SBC CORK (outlawspeed.com.au)
    FE1603 - FELPRO VALVE COVER GASKET SET COPRENE FITS SMALL BLOCK CHEV (outlawspeed.com.au)
    FE1604 - FELPRO VALVE COVER GASKET SET STEEL CORE FITS SMALL BLOCK CHEV RACE (outlawspeed.com.au)
    FE1628 - FELPRO VALVE COVER GASKET FITS SMALL BLOCK CHEV RACE BLUE SILICONE (outlawspeed.com.au)

Now let's not try and bypass common sense.

I posted valve cover just because it was simpler, but the same results could have been found for intake, pans, head, and probably front cover.

Price point and availability is a deciding factor as well the salesman making the pitch, but choice decides the rest and the choice decides the quality of the repair with expectations of service life.

So which BRAND gaskets are you using? Which type. IMG_6012.JPG IMG_7357.JPG

15. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

They apparently do not take into account, that some of the parts being used should be in a scrap yard...

Desoto291Hemi and Randall like this.