Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 M47 pickup. Basement barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MTL Tony, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've smoked this build right from the get go...you're certainly motivated and now there's fire...:eek:...you will be cruisin before you know it...are you trying to get it roadworthy before summers over...or are you looking at spring?

MTL Tony likes this.
  2. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I'm aiming to have it on the road and put at least 1500 miles on it before the snow falls.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on you...I have complete confidence you'll meet that target...don't forget the antifreeze...;)

...and being here at the Hamb I have front row seats...yeehaw!!! Go Tony Go!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    MTL Tony likes this.
  4. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Was feeling incredibly overwhelmed with what I've gotta do and what order to do it in so I popped into the garage between work meetings and made a four page list of things so I can try to sort out the order.
    While I was in there I opened up my diff and it looks immaculate. There was also barely any fluid in there. I've already got a gasket, but I just need to get the right oil to fill it up.
    PXL_20220907_201320326.jpg

Then I hit the door with a wire wheel to see how it would clean up because I plan on running it with boiled linseed oil for a while inside and out for the bare metal til I figure out what I'm doing. I think overall once I clean it up a bit more it will actually look really good with a patina'd look. This is just a few minutes with the wire wheel.
    PXL_20220907_204502099.jpg

And I also took a bit of super fine steel wool to the dash that has most of its paint there but is incredibly crusty and had some house paint put over it. In the left far corner it cleaned up real nice, that's the only spot I hit...
    I did this so I could see if I was going to need to paint the dash but between the steel wool and some gentle wire wheeling I think I'll be able to have the patina'd dash as well.
    PXL_20220907_204521081.jpg

So nothing crazy to update, but getting organized. I'll be in the garage the majority of the weekend so I'll get to crank out a LOT on my list of things to do.

55 Ford Gasser, egads, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. atch

atch

Tony,

It looks like the window mechanism access panel isn't in the best of shape. If you need another I've got one or two left over from Clarence that you're welcome to have.

[​IMG]

6. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Wow that's incredibly kind!
    Yeah the panels are in pretty rough shape. I think the snow sat inside the cab in the lower half while it was stored under the guys porch for 40 years which is why the bottom half of the doors don't have any paint left on them!
    I'll send you a message about the panels! Thank you!!!!

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  7. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Did one side of the floor pan after work today!
    Tomorrow I think I'll be able to finish the entire floor along with the cab supports. I have a patch panel for the passenger side and then the heel section on the drivers will be a bit of manipulating but I should be able to crank that out. I have a piece of thicker steel I'm going to use to re-build the cab mount (salvaged from a no parking sign base that had been run over by a few cars) then I'll drill the hole out accordingly.
    Slow and steady!!!

Second pic is where the drivers side sits right now. Happy with my couple hours of progress.

PXL_20220909_211646694.jpg PXL_20220909_220539030.jpg

8. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Oh yeah I also installed a couple lights that were on sale so now I can actually see my bench and the back of the shop!

Yes....everything is a mess. That's what it looks like when I'm in the middle of five or fifty things at once!
    PXL_20220909_180656872.jpg PXL_20220909_180713344.jpg

Stogy, warhorseracing, drdave and 5 others like this.
  9. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Making progress over here but no new pics.
    Floor is 90% done. Gonna be mounting the passenger side fender hopefully this weekend so I can start in on wiring.
    Also pedals, steering box, and a lot of just stuff that needs to go in there!

Here's a quick video I made of us putting the cab on the frame!

Cosmo49, charleyw, dwollam and 7 others like this.
  10. atch

atch

Milk crates; one can NEVER have too many milk crates...

Cosmo49, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  11. TEAMWORK! You're getting there man.

MTL Tony and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have been on milk crate duty...:D...man my back hurts just watching that...

When you rolled the frame out it looks like a heavy half but the cab brought things into perspective...its another smilestone...pizza and beer time...:)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  13. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

I spent the day in the garage today. I planned to finish my floor pans but a friend came to help out so I pivoted and we prepped all my wheels for paint. Painted two of them. Then pulled off the rear axle and leaf springs, replaced the bushings on them, prepped and painted all of it.

Very happy with today's progress. Floors on Friday?
    PXL_20220928_205845950.jpg PXL_20220928_205856192.jpg PXL_20220928_205911244.jpg
    I do have the original hubcaps to go on later!

14. atch

atch

@MTL Tony

It's been several weeks since your last update. I bet this thing is just about on the road by now.

Thor1 likes this.
  15. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

Unfortunately my wife was killed in a hit n run while we were riding our motorcycles on October 1.
    I will be getting back into the truck very soon but I am currently just trying to keep my head above water.

ottoman and das858 like this.
  16. atch

atch

@MTL Tony,

That's just terrible and I am really sorry to hear of it.

Stogy, LWEL9226, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m so sorry to hear this . You and your family are in my prayers . If I can help you in anyway , please contact me .

18. Man I can’t imagine, my sincerest condolences, the truck will be waiting when you are ready, it may be therapeutic.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@MTL Tony
    So sorry to hear about your wife. Please know that there people and services there for you in this time of need.

20. MTL Tony

MTL Tony

My day time job is in mental health and I thankfully have a strong community that has really kept me in their minds so far. I am looking forward to diving into the truck, winter projects have gotten me through some very serious times in the past and I'm sure this will be no exception.

Stogy, X-cpe, Copper Top and 8 others like this.
  21. My heart goes out to you Tony. It sounds like you have a good community helping you through this. You know there are hundreds of us putting our arms on your shoulders, willing to bring you through these tough times as well.

Stogy, MTL Tony, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

That's terrible news to hear, Tony.
    Our lives can get suddenly turned upside down without warning.

Stogy, MTL Tony and Thor1 like this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, so sorry for your loss Tony.

Stogy and MTL Tony like this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Tony, that is indeed terrible news. I’m so sorry for your loss. Do what you need to do. We’re all here if you need any support. God bless.

Stogy, Thor1, MTL Tony and 1 other person like this.
  25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

OMG, So sorry to hear that Tony.

26. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Any pics of this peice from inside engine bay

Stogy likes this.
  27. So sorry for your loss

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

Hope you can find peace....

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could not "like" your post as it was heart breaking, but I wanted to add my regrets. I am truly sorry for your loss of your mate.

Stogy, MTL Tony and Thor1 like this.