Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Ford Pick Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AULIZ, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear from you @AULIZ...congrats on the coffee, cream, and Hotrods...busy in a good way really...glad your back in the shop...breaks are therapeutic really...it's nice to drive them sometimes and the Fall IS one of most beautiful times to do that...I think your weather is similar to Ontarios...the Fall has been beautiful and dramatic here this year...still a bit of color but winding down...

The lucky truck is looking good and you have a way with getting them right...;)

Oskar's really growing into this...truly it's not a surprise...you have a lot of knowledge to pass on...

AULIZ, brady1929 and SilverJimmy like this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    Yes, too much Ice-Cream, Coffee and Coffee bread available. I have eat so much during last 7months that scales shows me new personal record..... Now I try to get back my old life. 32" 501 levis jeans are not fit anymore. Semifat is now changed to tittle: Fat-Aulis

this week Slowly continue this 36 pu project. Drv side is not so easy than another one. Need to open rear post. upper turn was twisted....

Aulis

Attached Files:

Stogy, 40FORDPU, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  3. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Good to see you back !

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I’ve been wondering what you’ve been up to. Happy to see “the teacher” back!

Stogy likes this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes Sirs
    2-3hours day I have spend time in garage. Slowly back to "hot rod building live" without any complications....
    Today, Saturday, maybe 6hours.

Now bed is shrinked with using heat and cold (water).
    first I put little metalputty those places where I have welded or heated more.
    Today started with putty. Dirty but fun and easy job. Not need to think very much. Just listen Rock and work.

Yes, still sell bearings to industry. One CNC machine building company , who is using normally SKF bearings, contact me. They told they have problem to get those 6024-2RS (ID 120mm) bearings with special grease.
    I took those bearings from our company warehouse to my place (we have 7milj.euro bearingstock in South Finland), opened bearings, washed (ultrasonic) and put together with special vibration -grease. Now , I think, I have good new customer after small few hours special job.
    Aulis

raiski-345.jpg raiski-346.jpg raiski-347.jpg raiski-348.jpg raiski-349.jpg raiski-350.jpg raiski-351.jpg raiski-352.jpg

Stogy, 40two, brEad and 3 others like this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Saturday 6hours result. Bed is ready from outside.
    A

raiski-353.jpg raiski-354.jpg raiski-355.jpg

Stogy, brEad, Okie Pete and 1 other person like this.
  7. It's always interesting to see how people outside the US do things. I think everybody knows it costs more and the weather is not always your friend. Thank you for posting. :)

Stogy likes this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Weather: You´r correct. Not so rainy than in UK, but we have long dark winter.... specially November, December when we don´t have any snow, its very very dark. OK, four season gives You more time to built cars in warm garage and when spring, summer is coming you have something new rolling out from your garage or you have rebuilt, changed your old car... Driving season is May - September specially if open car. I like that. Not too hot summer (last summer was hot), not too much snow here in west coast Finland (Golf Stream). I don´t need 20-50" snow. Same level Sweden they have very much more snow (highland) and East Finland same thing.

Parts need to order from USA. OK we have good american parts shops here if You use new parts. I use, if possible, old original parts or old hot rod parts, so need to buy from there. Rockauto , Summitracing... are fast and reasonable shipping cost delivers. Earlier PAW and MAC´s were good, but now we have different time going on.
    I remember 80´s when we send letter , telex or telefax to USA. Dollars in to envelop and hope they send stuff... :)

Aulis

Stogy, brEad, Chris L. and 1 other person like this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tomorrow I can carry bed outside and paint epoxy primer.

Aulis
    raiski-356.jpg raiski-357.jpg raiski-358.jpg raiski-359.jpg

osage orange, Stogy, 40two and 3 others like this.
  10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today I paint Epoxy Primer 4litre (1gal). Nice painting room !
    Now leave parts 2weeks before sand down.
    Next I need to weld cabin....

Tomorrow I remove 304cid engine from another 1932 roadster project.
    Somebody has built that engine in South-Carolina. I don´t trust them, so better that I open and check all.
    I know they haven´t balance short block , so I need to do that.
    This is hot rodding.

Aulis

raiski-360.jpg raiski-361.jpg raiski-362.jpg raiski-363.jpg raiski-364.jpg raiski-365.jpg raiski-366.jpg raiski-367.jpg raiski-368.jpg raiski-369.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    hfh, Stogy, brEad and 7 others like this.
  11. AULIZ

AULIZ

This update is "off topic". Today, Saturday, worked with engines.
    Last winter i bought 1932 roadster project car. Engine is 304cid long stroke, big bore. I open and remove all parts. I need to balance it, make some other machinery jobs.
    Good stuff; eagle crank and rods, ross pistons, Thickstun heads, PM7 intake, Mallory distributor...
    I left rolling roadster to friends place, where I can keep my cars.
    Also washed one 59A-B engine, which need to built too.

Aulis

haag-56.jpg haag-57.jpg haag-58.jpg haag-59.jpg haag-60.jpg haag-61.jpg haag-62.jpg haag-63.jpg haag-64.jpg haag-65.jpg haag-66.jpg haag-67.jpg haag-68.jpg haag-69.jpg haag-70.jpg haag-71.jpg haag-72.jpg

osage orange, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  12. Good job, going the extra mile to service a new customer! Congratulations on that score!

Stogy and brEad like this.
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome work, well done! You may already be over this, if so apologies, if not when its time to do the chassis perhaps consider fitting a driveshaft loop.

Stogy likes this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.
    Yes, maybe I weld there driveshaft loob. I use my hot rods 30´s original rear axles. Tube driveshaft not need loob....

I pieced 59A-B engine. Looks bad. 1/2" shit everywhere.
    Also pieced 1939 DD tranny. Looks better. Need only wash everything, new bushings to clutch release shaft. I change those tranny front and rear ball bearings. I want to use 2RS -double sealed bearings. Also use loctite 5900 or 5980 -flange sealant when install bearings. After that 30´s tranny never leak. Those open ball bearings with sealing discs are not good.

Today started sand running boards. Next need to sand front fenders, bed, tailgate.... I like that job. I know I have wrong medication....

Aulis

raiski-370.jpg raiski-371.jpg raiski-372.jpg raiski-373.jpg raiski-374.jpg raiski-375.jpg raiski-376.jpg raiski-377.jpg raiski-378.jpg

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Auliz, love watching the progress! Thanks for posting pics.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Auliz, I always enjoy your posts and your amazing cars! Thanks for continuing to post.

Stogy likes this.
  17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs !!!
    Long dark winter here, so best way to escape depression is bright small and warm garage.
    Days are so short here this time Year (summer bright time 24h day) , good to do something.

This winter goal:
    1) I want to get welded and painted this 1936 ford pick up. Owner can continue ready (electrics, interior)
    2) I make that 304cid flathead ready. Im sure ex owner in South-Carolina was not balance engine. need to make valvejobs etc....
    3) I make that 59A-B engine. Last Saturday i washed it (outside), once more need to drive friends place and use pressure washer which warm water.

No time to built own cars. I still have 5w coupe project which has been welded. I opened own thread maybe 5y ago when I worked with car two months. Later 2-3y ago 1month more. That coupe need to chop and make ready. big big job.....maybe next winter

Aulis

Stogy, brEad and SilverJimmy like this.
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Wekend i had so much other things to do. Today continue sanding fr fender.
    Aulis

nb. You have seen in pics 1932 ford roadster project. I bought that car from South-Carolina. I hate those seller who are not answer my questions after get money. Finland that is not possible, or somebody is angry and come to sellers place. B.H. (seller) is older man, I trust his age men, but this case .....

raiski-379.jpg raiski-380.jpg raiski-381.jpg raiski-382.jpg

19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Drv side fr fender is ready.

Today arrived post shipment from Sweden. Magneto/distributor angle drive.
    Not gonna use with this autolite Twin-8 distributor. I already have one twin spark plug engine and same kind of twin-8 distributor. Maybe use angle drive with cirello magneto.

Aulis

raiski-383.jpg raiski-384.jpg raiski-385.jpg raiski-386.jpg magneto-1.jpg

Hamtown Al, brEad, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

LR fender nearly ready after 7hours sanding

raiski-387.jpg raiski-388.jpg raiski-389.jpg

21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today I drive down to South-Finland. I picked up some stuff arrived from CA (seacontainer freight).
    16x4 and 16x6 wheels to my 5w coupe.
    Schiefer flathead flywheel
    8litre flathead racing oilpan with "rat door".

Very much "Christmas presents" flywheel-1.jpg wheels-1.jpg wheels-2.jpg oilpan-1.jpg oilpan-2.jpg oilpan-3.jpg

Aulis

brEad, Stogy, Chris L. and 1 other person like this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

February I continue this 1932. 5" chop, few days "heat shrinking".... New wheels need to paint and install new firestone bias-ply tires on. Need to pick up car home waiting for her queueing number...

Next week I carry 1936 pick up cabin in to my garage. Welding, welding.....

rod-coupe92.jpg rod-coupe164.jpg rod-coupe174.jpg rod-coupe178.jpg rod-coupe180.jpg rod-coupe182.jpg rod-coupe184.jpg rod-coupe187.jpg rod-coupe47.jpg

aulis

hfh, treb11, 40FORDPU and 6 others like this.
  23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tomorrow I continue with 1936 pick up.
    Today I fixed those new 16x4 and 16x6 wheels which just arrived from CA.
    8hours grinding and sanding. wheels will be powder coated

Aulis

wheels-4.jpg wheels-8.jpg wheels-9.jpg wheels-10.jpg wheels-11.jpg wheels-12.jpg wheels-13.jpg wheels-14.jpg

osage orange and brEad like this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Wheels are left to powder coating.
    Runningboards are ready for final paintjob.
    Just sanding tailgate. Bed and tailgate are not easy job. Too many bendings, corners,.... 56y old man, nothing else to do.... :)
    One evening i had woman in my house. I get scent, but didn´t remember what I need to do..... so sanding is OK for me...

Aulis

raiski-390.jpg raiski-391.jpg raiski-392.jpg raiski-393.jpg raiski-394.jpg

25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Same poor pictures,... but this sanding takes so much time.... Tailgate is finally sanded. I sprayed once more 1K epoxy. Tomorrow, Monday, morning sand smoothly with 3M "softhand" paper. Then I leave tailgate, ready for final paintjob.

Aulis

raiski-395.jpg raiski-396.jpg

osage orange, brEad and Chris L. like this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today, Monday, started to sand bed. takes many days get it ready.
    Next week need to get cabin inside of my garage. Not so much free space, but maybe I can arrange all in.

Between Christmas and New Year I promised to chop one 1929 A-Ford Tudor.

Aulis

raiski-397.jpg raiski-398.jpg raiski-399.jpg raiski-400.jpg

osage orange, RMR&C, brEad and 4 others like this.
  27. Glad to see that you have resumed posting. Always good stuff! Keep it going.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too funny! :cool:

29. AULIZ

AULIZ

powder coater didnt accept my wheels. "Too shine" surface. Now blowed using glass.

Yes, bed is rather straight after I shrink it with heat and cold. Then I was putty it, but not enough good.
    Now need to work more..... and after all Monday I spray new black epoxy primer.
    A

wheels-15.jpg wheels-16.jpg raiski-401.jpg raiski-402.jpg raiski-403.jpg

30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I thought the first step in powder coating was to sand blast the item. Doesn't your powder coater have a blaster?