Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Universal AC condenser (Ebay)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Do you guys think it really matters if you buy an AC condenser from Vintage Air...or save some money and get a universal condenser from Ebay, it's not like vintage air actualy makes these things in house (sure they are all made in China). Also how much do you think the width of the condenser affect the cooling capacity ?

2. Moedog07

Moedog07

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You may be satisfied, maybe not. The biggest condenser you can fit is the best. I would do Vintage air.

4. NoelC

NoelC

I'd get what's cheap and what fits. Could be because Canadian car guys spend $0.35 more on the dollar, shipping sucks, and name brand doesn't mean as much to us. Or it could be I'm just a cheap skate. But that's my advice.

bob b., Bob Lowry and ffr1222k like this.

5. Jokester

Jokester

I do Ebay a lot. If the dimensions are correct, it is new, the fittings are in the correct location, and is for the correct refrigerant, go for it.

.bjb

6. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

So far as size goes, a larger surface area makes for a more efficient condenser, especially at lower speeds/air flow.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

The Ebay condensers are larger and will cover the radiator opening better, than the VA condensers. Any thought about the width of the cooling fins. Both are Parillal (134a) flow design.

Algoma56 likes this.
  8. I bought mine through an AC parts wholeseller. It is a parallel flow and fit perfectly between my radiator support. Keep in mind that air moves through least resistance. If the condenser doesn't cover the entire radiator, chances are it will not cool the AC or engine coolant properly.

That said, if you are looking for something for a specific car, it might be better to buy one made for that car.

9. VA has spent lots finding a condenser that works for their units. I vote use theirs. I’m cheap also.

10. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

It's not so much about saving money. My opening is 18" tall x 22" Wide.... And the largest VA has is 14" tall x 22" wide. I can get some from ebay that fit the opening better.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are hundreds AC individual parts on the net. I liked the VA engine brackets for the Y block and positive I was going to use them When I started looking I thought of the pretty small units that could fit up behind the glove box and attach hoses to vents under or in the dash. I could have extended the wiring for switches and kept my original heat/defroster. Went with a combo unit from Old Air Products and glad I did.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  12. Better do a little research. my friend, Vintage Air and all their components are made in the good old USA.

I have installed several different heat/air systems in my cars and in friends cars, I can honestly say the Vintage Air I installed in my old beater has been the most efficient unit bar none. HRP

Driver50x likes this.
  13. Years ago, 2 of the Vintage Air employees drove their 32's to the coast. One had their condenser, the other had the unit in the radiator so I'm thinking it was a Walker. The air temp out of the register in the V.A. unit was 10 degrees cooler. That was when I decided to use a V.A. unit in my 32. I have since used them in 2 other units and been satisfied with 34 degree air out of the center outlet.

Driver50x likes this.
  14. While I have an original hang on the dash evaporator , Mark IV from the 1960s, I do have a VA condenser. Works well. The width matches up to the radiator pretty close although thr height is about 4" short.

Ben

jimmy six and Driver50x like this.
  15. BJR

BJR

I have a Vintage Air complete system in my Buick, works very well, and blows very cold.

Driver50x likes this.
  16. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Agreed on the good old USA made. I vote vintage air.