Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Larry Ferris tempted once Model A Magazine features?? AND WHERE IS IT TODAY???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A buddy of mine is building a Model of the tempted once 64 ISCA grand points champion coupe and is having trouble finding many decent pics. I have been going thru old magazines looking for a feature on this car and while I am finding show coverage pics, I can't find a full feature on it. Man I swear I can remember seeing it on the cover of a magazine but no luck finding it. Anyone know off hand?? tempted once.jpg tempted1.jpg tempted11.jpg

2. Fordors

Fordors

I’m thinking Car Craft, but which one? Maybe try checking the magazine covers at 99wspeedshop.com

Moriarity likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

I found a feature in HRM yearbook #5 so it was featured in Hot Rod sometime that year.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

awesome, January 65... Thanks a lot...

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

A good stance never goes out of style and this car has it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I still think I saw this car on a magazine cover... Didn't see it in the link above though

8. From old ebay listing for Arcade Card. Says Robert Hegge photo.
    HEV_1668050206677.jpg HEV_1668050183970.jpg

9. From HAMB thread "Show Car Old Post Cards" :

1931 Model “A” – 61 Corvette mill with blower and four carbs. Car has chrome chassis, mag wheels, all metal reworked front end and Naugahyde interior. It won 1963-64 International Championship Point System. OWNER: Larry Farris, Whiting, <st1:State w:st="on">Indiana.</st1:State> Photo by Robert Hegge

10. Maybe @SS327 can help. He posted this in another HAMB thread:

Saw them all. From Larry Ferris 31 model a coupe to muscle cars. Whiting Indiana was a car crazy town. Larry won the 63-64 ISCA show circuit with the model a he bought from my great grandfather in 1957. I even got a ride in it once!

11. SS327

SS327

I know Hot Rod and maybe Car Craft took pictures of it for sure. I was a shy 13 year old kid the last time I saw it and Larry changed the induction and front end 3 times at least after he stopped showing it. It was an amazing car. If you could get into the Peterson archives some how they should have pictures. I believe they photographed it at least 2 separate sessions. I thought Larry told me one time he bought a crate vette 283 for a 58 or 59. At that time I think it was either $250.00 or $350.00. Huge money back then trying to get his repair shop going. He bought it from my great grandfather in 1957. God those pictures bring back a lot of memories! Thanks Mark!

Stock Racer, Jigger, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  12. SS327

SS327

Mark found an amazing picture of the underneath. It shows just how chromed up this car was. If it fit in the vat it went for a swim, according to Larry. That is the car that started my down hill slide into madness! He only lived a block away from my grandparents.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. Fordors

Fordors

Like Mark I checked the CC covers and couldn’t find it either. Bob Hegge was a freelance photog from the Midwest and he may have shot the feature and sold it to any one of a dozen magazines.
    I did find it on the cover of the April ‘64 issue of Popular Hot Rodding and checked the ‘64 and ‘65 issues I have but no article turned up.
    I do not have PHR for Aug. & Sept.‘64 and I’m also missing Mar., June, Aug., Nov., and ‘Dec. ‘65.

36B594CB-AF54-4CDF-AEBA-BF1C1F272941.jpeg

Here are two more photos from a car show.

9B07B95B-4B3D-4E3C-AF9A-42AB5AFC7A9E.jpeg

15A2059C-3279-4489-870A-F2DE5E8DCFBC.jpeg

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Good luck finding it man...

The stance is very good, the Front end treatment just destroys it though in my eyes... I can respect the work involved in it, just a shock rod and not my thing. Honestly you could probably bring something like this out and win some top awards again due to the show scene still being littered with paint and billet.

16. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad had a matching pleated steering wheel cover made for his custom. Everyone that has seen it said they have never heard of this and that they never existed back in the day. Thanks for the photo proving that it did.

tempted once.jpg

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Hope this doesn’t mean square headlights are traditional.:rolleyes: Car would look much better with an A or 32 grill shell.

Irish Mike, Ned Ludd and low down A like this.
  18. Are they square? Or are they round headlights behind square frosted covers?

Jigger likes this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't really care to hear if people like this car or not. It is a historic show car that won the Isca grand championship in 1964. the fact that some of you people would put a 32 grille shell on it just means you don't care about history. keep your negative comments to yourself

20. Couldn’t agree more Mark, gets old seeing people constantly trashing others cars because they aren’t built to their taste. Different tastes is what makes this hobby interesting. Can’t help but wonder if they are the same people who constantly wonder why the hobby is dying….

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  21. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Best wishes on the build! This car and the Paul Alveraz roadster pickup had the " Ala Kart" vibe, and looked great thru their many redo's for show season.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

thanks for looking, I had looked thru my PHR magazines too and saw that cover shot, hard to believe that it wasn't inside.. Fun looking at the old Popular hot rodding mags from the early mid sixties though, man that was a great magazine back then

23. From the ISCA 1965 program. CCI11102022.jpg CCI11102022_0001.jpg

catdad49, Just Gary, SS327 and 20 others like this.
  24. Fordors

Fordors

FWIW the earlier version with inline dual quads will be easier to duplicate. The picture shown in the program that @lothiandon1940 posted shows the Mr. Gasket clear plexiglass valve covers and chromed SBC rocker arms. There was another Midwest show car that had the plexi valve covers and chromed rockers. I don’t think it was Brandy’s Chariot, that was Bill Block’s ‘36 three window, but it was probably a ‘35 or ‘36 Cabriolet, pearl white with a hint of purple sprayed over it.
    Sorry for the diversion, just something I thought about from 60 years ago. Anybody remember the car I’m thinking of?

25. cabong

cabong

Well said, Mr. Moriarity !! I, like a lot of my peers (old), get very tired of negative comments about early rods and customs. My preference goes back into the 50's, but it certainly doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the hard work, money, and love, that went into these cars from a different mother. Someone had to like them, or they wouldn't have been built in the first place. Having owned the Jaguar Royale, the Mark Mist, and the Wild Dream, and the Dream Truck, I've heard enough negative comments to last a lifetime. People even badmouth the El Caballo..... Go figure....

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I remember that Cabriolet, but can't find a picture of it, I did find one of Brandy's chariot though. I remember in the 90's there was a vendor at the Kkoa leadsled show for a bunch of years in a row with the front fenders from Brandy's chariot for 400 bucks.... He also had for sale an off topic 68 or 9 candy panel painted old ISCA ss396 chevelle for sale for like 12 grand... seemed like all the money in the world at the time... brandy.jpg

27. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That '64 Galaxie he won was a pretty snazzy car too. I wonder if it still exists.

28. SS327

SS327

I don’t remember what happened to the galaxy or if I even saw it. The headlights were regular round headlights behind fluorescent light diffusers cut to a square shape. The car really had to be seen in person to be appreciated. Like I said the car did change through the years.

29. I noticed the tires - white wall with raised white lettering, those were interesting times.

SS327 likes this.
  30. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I Can Attest to the upholstery tricks of the late '50s. Dash boards, steering wheels, and fender wells were popular subjects of stitched naugahyde.
    The art form was lost on the way. I have considered reviving it on my A.
    At a point in my youth I Ran a power sewing machine, for home window treatments.

Thanks for saying what needs to be said