Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on which way I should go with my build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Nov 6, 2022.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sorry but flat black, moon caps and side pipes is what someone would have done in the early 60's with a spray bomb and a J C Whitney catalogue. All the other examples besides the one tomcatll pictured that no offense have been done to death. I didn't see your 2nd choice before Mark deleted it, so I am not sure the green you were thinking. Most know I am a custom/rodder, my vision of your Ford if it where mine would be to shave and decked, maybe french the headlights. big and little tire rake with original style torque thrust similar to tomcatll example. Green and white paint, but a dark forest green mettalic bottom and white top broken at the beltline with factory stainless. Dark green with white pleated interior. This is what I saw growing up in Milwaukee in the mid 60's. Just my opinion and feel free to completely disagree with me. lol Larry

caprockfabshop and RMR&C like this.
  2. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I like option 1 way better. Way more cool. Though a 302/5.0 and auto is so uncool. Though it's cheap and generic. But nothing to boast about. A healthy y-block would be equally as functional look better sound better and had more to the overall build style and cool of the car. An FE would be even better. If you really need an auto there are kits to bolt the and on or even better the t700 gm box. The budget junkyard engine your thinking of will just show others you can't afford to make it cool. A Windsor is the second last option for the car you should use. Even a multi catb Ford six would be way more cool.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  3. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Just had look at your link. What's with the sealer around all your floor repairs. Is it not fully welded?
    Shame you went Windsor on the engine. That's an embarrassment. Like bragging about a Toyota corolla or Hyundai. The cheapest functional option available. For a little bit more dollars you cool of had functional and cool.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

To each is own, but you asked.....
    Moon caps, flat black=Cheese fest
    Green= Growing up, a green car was a car that needed a paint job.
    Two tone....Is it a police car? Maybe it's grandmas.

You have nice chrome.
    Those cars are absolutely stunning Black.

MY advice....
    A nice black paintjob, simple, simple.
    Steel wheels with dog dish caps, simple, simple.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Your car, Your deal, what do You like ?, that's all that matters.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  7. You've done a great job so far! Your drivetrain selection, though some have scoffed, is right on.... dependable, repairable, street mannered, get in and go!
    You're at a helluva crossroad here, but since you asked...
    Those cars look good in green. I'm not generally a fan of two-tones, but look at @HOTRODPRIMER' s '54 wagon... it is subtle and looks nice, and is not a fad "laced roof" etc.
    For yours, I'd say: nosed and decked, no laker/side pipes, no custom grill, no radical rake or drop.
    1) Set the stance you like. Don't go too low, you obviously built this car to drive.
    2) Go with the steel wheels of your choice (save big$$). This car would look good with whitewalls, but expect to sell your kid's kidney to finance them, unless you go with narrow whites.
    3) De-bug it until you feel it's dialed in
    4) Do the paint job you want (do paint first to do a more complete job without having to hassle with possible interior damage). Don't blow the budget on paint! Think driver, not show car.
    5) By this time your Mexican blanket interior will be ready for replacement, and you can finish your project.
    6) Enjoy the hell out of it... enjoy the fruits of your labor!
    Good luck!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

Many decades ago ( yes, I ‘m an old guy), I saw one of these with rear wheel openings that were very much like the front. I have always Loved that look, add some other mild custom ideas, nosing and decking, Olds taillights, two tone paint (flake roof), twice pipes ( glass packs, scavenger tips), chrome reverse rims with black walls or thin ww’s and mild lowering with a slight down in front rake. Once you’ve saved up a little (?) more bread, spring for a two tone tuck ‘n roll interior! All I got, Carp.

9. How does shiny paint make anyone a nervous wreck??

First you can fix what comes out of the gun…can’t do that with flat paint…what ya get ot what ya get

Second it’s much easier to fix shiny paint should something happen to it…blends considerably easier than flat paint…

depending on the depth of a scratch it can be rubbed out…scratch flat paint and try to run the scratch out…now ya got a shiny spot…that would really drive ya nuts..

I don’t t understand why anyone would waste the time and effort for flat paint…

And just so we’re clear what the guys in clubs like The Choppers were spraying on their cars in the late 90’s early 2000’s was base coat and no clear…that gives a more semi gloss, almost un rubbed old lacquer look…not flat

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

:)
    Definitely custom. Those years were rarely seen as Hotrod’s And definitely not on the salt.

guthriesmith and anthony myrick like this.
  11. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I like Green.
    ( my first driving test was in a green '53 )
    As for the motor, if you are not racing, what's the diff.
    I like FEs

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree with the flat black+ Moons= cheapo special.
    Mild custom to keep costs down. Just remove unnecessary trim and emblems. If you really like green, (and I don't, so take it with a grain of salt) I would do light mint green body (so you don't have to sweat perfecting the body), and a mid or dark green roof in flake, or lace. Possibly a few matching green lines on the body. Hubcaps and wide whites (worth it to spend your money there)

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

What’s the purpose of the car?
    is it for driving or showing?

if you’re looking to win trophies then shiny perfect paint is key.

if you want to drive it a lot the colour doesn’t matter at all.

wheels are easy to change later when you save up more money.

I have an ot car I’ve owned for 20 years,
    It has had 4 sets of wheels, 3 sets of springs, 2 engines, 3 different automatic transmissions and one manual, and two colours of interior.
    Nothing is permanent, you’re not stuck doing it one way!

14. 55328084-23C2-4242-B818-52E93B9F5A7A.jpeg Reference for your build

6D6D0072-9D5E-4AB7-8AFE-935F806AA1A0.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just my opinions, think what you want…

I’d go two tone blue, dark on the bottom, lighter on the top. Wheels, either the as cast light gray Torque Thrust or the polished original style Torque Thrust like on my car. I like the 5.0 , plenty big for the car and you have everything from the donor to put it in. I’d also keep all the factory chrome for an original look. I would lower the front a smidge just a bit to give it a little rake, but not so much as to make it hard to go over speed bumps. Maybe I’m describing a sleeper look, almost stock but not quite. As to the interior, bench seats are hard to find anymore, so a simple recover in vinyl may be the least expensive. If you favor buckets, there were some low back van seats that look pretty good, but would limit back seat access.

Not a 100 point stock look, but subtle differences to make it yours. Not many folks know what it originally looked like anyway.

16. Option 1 IMO. But any color than flat black. Lots of semi/low gloss options out there if you must.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

concept pic or not. there is no viable reason to post cars with giant wheels here. And I can spot them without someone pointing them out...

Stock Racer, Jacksmith, 36cab and 2 others like this.
  18. OK, here's my 2 cents on the paint. When my Dad got home from the Marines in '56 he bought a 55 Fairlane and began making it cool. The car was light Grey and all his buddies in the "ROAD ANGELS" and everyone else ribbed him with HEY JACK, WHEN YA GONNA PAINT IT ? He traded it in for a bright red '58 Impala sport coupe so he wouldn't be ribbed anymore. FWIW,,,,your car your decision. Mitch.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, 54 fords make great customs. Don't be afraid to paint it wild like my buddy Billy did with his glasstop....

billy2.JPG

20. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Do the quick, cheap and practical mods and drive it. You get into that elaborate custom paint and body work, you will live to regret it when this trend dissipates.

alanp561 likes this.
  21. As has been mentioned, sounds like you just need to define what the end goal is and stick with it. I’m a believer that these cars make great mild customs. If it were mine (which I know it isn’t), I would end up with steel wheels either chrome oe or painted with full wheel covers and wide whites. It would also have a little bit of a tail dragger stance. And, I like the two tone paint idea with the green. But, depending on the overall look you are going for, I might do some panel painting and/or lace on the roof and possibly other areas.

And, as others have said, you are doing great work. :cool: Good luck deciding. Just remember you are the only one that has to like it in the end. :D

alanp561 and i.rant like this.
  22. this is my old 53, done in the late 60's. 409 Chev, 4-speed etc. The later 60's look was more competition than custom around here to compete with the new muscle cars.

Mick 53ford1.jpg

23. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Why not green with white top and Moon disks and side pipes? Best of both options.

My '53 cooks me in the summer and it's grey with a white top. I can't even imagine how hot it would be painted black.

I ran full caps on mine for a while but got tired of having to pull over and chase them down. Running the dogs dishes again for now.

IMG-1647.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  24. 1pickup

1pickup

Full moon / spun aluminum wheel covers never looked good on anything. If you want flat black, go ahead. Then use some cool full wheel covers, chrome reverse, or gloss black steelies w/ trim rings & WWWs. If the car is nice enough, a gloss black paint job would be better. If you're stuck on a flat/satin color, how about a dark green? Maybe a lighter colored roof, or go the full flake/custom paint roof? I'm also sick of Torque Thrusts.

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just a thought about that engine: get some early 60's valve covers from a 1st generation Windsor, say a 260, and make it look like a 63-64 era engine swap. Who would know but us here?

26. Nice shiny paint is traditional. Back when I was growing up in the 50s-60s everyone's end game was a smooth eye catching shiny car like displayed in old Hot Rod magazines. So I say a glossy paint with chrome reverse wheels. That was going to be what I had in mind for the 54 coupe I once owned, but too many cars so I got rid of it.

caprockfabshop and 36cab like this.
  27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

No, but I would jump at the chance to check this out a lot quicker than most of the other slammed on the ground, same old mild custom example's some of the others have posted. It took me a moment to realize that the rear of the body flips up and that is a rear engine build. obviously not built to pre 64 Hamb specs but the concept would not have been out of realm of something Mickey Thompson, Ak Miller or Smokey Yunick would have dreamed up back in the day! lol Larry

Ned Ludd likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DOOD! Now I want to build that, with actual Group B specs and performance!

For those that do not know what the words Group B mean, Google them. It is OT here, but worth a read!

29. anthony myrick likes this.