Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features A 24 year-old's view of a vintage hot rod racing road trip

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiro, Nov 4, 2022.

1. chiro

chiro

So, I meet this 23 year old kid at a car cruise last year. He's dressed as a teen from the 50's...white t-shirt, typical chinos, etc. We get to talking about a car we're both standing in front of and then we go to see his '51 Chevy more-door that has a 235 and a powerglide in it. Very cool survivor car. His gf and my wife talk. We exchange numbers and become friendly as car guys do over the past year. We go to TROG together only to find out it's cancelled when we get there. We have a good time anyway. I've been having fuel delivery issues with my coupe for the past year and FINALLY got it ironed out when another friend posts about the last race of the year for the Vintage Eliminators class at South Mountain Raceway in PA. I check the distance. I think, "Doable. All I need is a willing accomplice." Elliot texts me back immediately, "I'm in".

The following is HIS write-up of his experience and HIS pictures. This is a 24 year old kid experiencing vintage racing. The last two pics are of me and my car and Elliot, me and E.J. Kowalski who runs the Vintage Eliminators.

Check it out. You'll be glad you did.

By Elliot Golden:
    The time is exactly 6 in the morning. The sun isn't up yet, it's pitch black. Over the hill, you hear the rumble of a flathead V8. Two dim headlights pull into the driveway. A 1930 Ford Model A has trundled into your gravel driveway. The destination? An old drag strip built into the side of a mountain in Pennsylvania. The temperature? Exactly 32 degrees. The Model A doesn't have a canvas top, and the night sky can be easily viewed through the wooden planks that the roof is comprised of. The driver hands you only a paper map and says, "Let's drive." Your priority is to ensure the vehicle arrives safely over the next three and a half hour drive through three states by constantly checking the map and searching every turn for deer through the headlights that light up not much more than just another few feet in front of you. The sun rises as we drive and the fog slowly vaporizes through the crisp sun rays peaking the rolling Piedmont hills, barely getting above freezing temperatures.
    A few stops for fuel, consisting of the driver leaning his seat forwards and unscrewing the gas cap that sits two inches behind where he pilots from. You arrive without fault and coast into the parking area surrounded by twenty-one other vehicles approaching their centennial birthdays. The sound of flatheads from the 1940s and four-bangers from the 1930s fill the autumn air as these cars nearly older than time run as quickly as they can down the short asphalt strip. It is poetic. The match of man and machine.
    You meet legends who have been racing longer than three times the length of your own life. They have more knowledge than could ever been written into a book. Suddenly, disaster strikes, your ride home is sabotaged by the stressing of parts typically not run through this much abuse, but is almost immediately fixed by the human encyclopedias around you.
    Finally, the last race is run. The champion is bethroned. It is time to head home back up over the steep mountains. The sun goes down on the drive home, and you stare out the window at the changing leaves in the trees, amazed by the day. You can't talk, your voice is gone. Three and a half hours once again in a car that is 90 years old, and it does it with zero faults, even after the constant abuse from the day.
    That same 1930 Ford Model A arrives back in your gravel driveway from which you retrieve your personal belongings from the metal trunk. Hugs are exchanged. Cold hands are shook. The time? 9:00 PM. 320 miles covered from sun up until sun down. As you walk to the door, you can't help but wonder... What will next time be like?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^^Me and my Coupe
    [​IMG]
    Elliot, me and E.J. Kowalski. I gotta tell you...E.J. is THE MAN!!! What a great time and great group of people. Can't wait for next season.

2. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great story and great pictures. Thanks.

hotrodharry2 and seb fontana like this.
  3. Young Elliot gets an A+! Great example of story telling and photography. I thoroughly enjoyed riding along...let's see more.

4. Nice write up and fantastic pics!

5. Great write up. The pictures are amazing too. I have a feeling the young man was inspired by the late Pat Ganahl.

6. rust&patina

rust&patina

7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

This will last and last

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and that's exactly how you recruit "another one" into our cult;):D

9. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Very cool and great to see some hope for the youth of today

Okie Pete, 1Nimrod and chiro like this.
  10. Great story and I love the #2 special, great looking car.

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. v8flat44

v8flat44

SO cool, thanks for the ride !!!

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh wow what a great story and great young man!!! Thank you for sharing.

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. J L Marbais

J L Marbais

That was a great trip I truly enjoyed it. I'm sure young Elliot is hooked and you have a friend for life. :)

Okie Pete and 1Nimrod like this.
  14. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

As you have taken Elliott under your wing he could also be taken under the wing of our own @J.Ukrop as he shows promise as a word spinner and photographer. There’s hope that at least a part of the hobby will survive and be passed on. Way to go.

15. ken bogren

ken bogren

Great story, cool pictures!

Okie Pete likes this.
  16. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Thank you for including us in your adventure!

Okie Pete likes this.
  17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Most excellent

OzMerc39 and Okie Pete like this.
  18. Some really great Model T's...

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The kid is a very talented wordsmith.

20. Helge71

Helge71
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great write up! Well done, all involved!

Okie Pete likes this.
  21. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent story.

22. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how this life style/ hobby / events are going to continue. Good if You to invite Him to join You . I’ve seen other vintage machines shows disappear because no one would take the time to include younger generations.

hotrodjack33 and 1Nimrod like this.
  23. dln1949

dln1949

I was very lucky as a kid, I have an older brother who convinced my dad that letting me get an old car project could help me stay out of trouble. My brother was right there in the garage with me through the whole process. Now I'm 73, he's a bit older and on the other side of the country, we both have slowed down but still have our projects. Guess what I'm trying to say is "pass the torch", and show them how it works. Thanks to all the old guys who have come before.

24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great job!

For you both.

Okie Pete likes this.
  25. Nice write up. Elliot is the future. Looks like a great event. Thanks for the post.

26. Love those style pictures... And great Story... Very well narrated!! Thanks for sharing...

27. lincolnkid

lincolnkid

I was like wait a minute, this looks familiar! I know Elliott and saw these on Facebook. I’m 28 so not too much older than him. Great writeup

OzMerc39, Okie Pete and 1Nimrod like this.
  28. a36bonanza

a36bonanza

Just Awesome!.........GREAT story, You nailed it!