Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Towing on a uhaul auto hauler trailer in gusty wind

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Will_K, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Will_K

Will_K

Just want to get a feel for how much of an issue a Michigan forecast of a wind advisory for gusts up to 50 mph would be while pulling a uhaul auto hauler behind an F150 with a 1960 Valiant or a 1994 Mustang. I need to switch projects, I have a 100 mile drive mostly on I75.

I can make arguments either way. Reasons to get this done this weekend is because it's really hard to get a full day like I need to make a round trip like this, I need to store the Valiant because I was doing a brake conversion and that is done, but it's not fully roadworthy. And the Mustang needs to come back home so I can finish putting the seats back in so she can sell it, and if I don't do this now I might not get another chance before it's snow season.

It's a bit of an unknown for me just how the u-haul brakes would handle things getting a little squirrely in a wind gust. It's a dual axle trailer, the brakes are hydraulicly activated when the trailer is pushing forward. It's not something I can switch on the brakes like I would with an electric brake. I've done this dozens of times without issue. I mention this is Michigan because the forecast could be completely wrong and there might be nothing at all.

I do need to make this trip anyway, I need some sheetmetal I have in Ohio on my 1956 F100 project. I'd make the trip without the trailer anyway. If I was pulling a single axle boat trailer, I'd put it off for sure.

I know what would happen if I ask at the U-haul counter, they'll tell me I should rent a truck. I'm not doing that, I know what I can and can't back into my driveway. I know people might say if you don't feel comfortable, you probably shouldn't do it. I don't feel that way. I'd consult a magic 8 ball if I had one, but I don't., so I'm querrying the internet.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. NoelC

NoelC

Well, it sounds like you're a no guts no glory kind of guy, go for it.
    Rawhide - YouTube

3. Budget36

Budget36

When you say hauler, do you mean trailer? Or enclosed? Anyways, drive slower, also I’ve rented a few u-haul car trailers (been a long time) but only had surge brakes on one, the others had nothing

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Trailered a wrangler TJ behind a Ram 150, 200 miles all on the freeway without any problems.
    All the trailers, for rent, had surge brakes on them.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

60 mph max and slower downhill and you should be fine. But I'd lower those figures in gusty conditions.

UK law is limited to 60 mph when towing (if the trailer weight is known, 50mph otherwise). When I had my roadster in the US it used to scare the living crap out of me to be scooting along at 80 plus with lifted trucks hauling 5th wheel rv's the size of a house leaving me for dead (Sunday afternoons in Socal!!). I suppose they only crash once.

Chris

seb fontana and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Drive slow , have the car balanced on the trailer and simply take your time .

I picked up my merc last summer , it was a 6 hour drive home and at one point the cross winds where brutal , I did not have the car loaded correctly ( car was backwards so more weight in the back of the trailer then the tongue, so the “ tail wagged the dog” a couple times .

just drive slowe-ish and you’ll be ok .

7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

First Thing lets get on the same page. The towed vehicle shall face forward. Always when towing anything, we need front heavy.
    Next thing, only a hundred mile? Just take the surface roads. They work fine.
    For different reasons when I was Trailer trucking Big truck, I would drive the highways, not the Interstates.
    The wind is not the same, and as VANDENPLAS points out Take Your Time You'll Get There.
    I'm certain there is no need to mention this buuut I will regardless.
    Make sure all those tires are full up.
    Also if there is a need to stop you are much less likely to have some crazy involve you in his lack of speed control. You know know the ones I mean.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  8. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Will, I'll bet you have already left by now. But I would avoid I75, other ways to go north and south that are a little slower and more stops etc but a more enjoyable trip and less crazies passing you at 85-90... Let us know how it goes...

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have towed many vehicles using the wrong set ups in bad weather. You asking this question means you have little experience...Pay attention to what tow truck Tom says....

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

EFE18C6D-BA0C-4004-AFDA-1EAD36E67353.jpeg I tow a 38’ trailer up and down 75 every winter. But I do have a larger pickup. Regardless. Just stay in the right hand lane and stay around 60 mph regardless of the wind. Nothing worse than a tractor trailer passing you at 80mph. Yes Id stay off the four lane for that small distance. I’d worry about not having electric brakes though. Good luck.

Attached Files:

11. I’ve towed u haul car haulers in hundreds of miles in my younger days with a half ton. In the mountains and prairies. They actually tow well, they have a long tongue. I found them to be quite stable

VANDENPLAS and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uhaul car trailers are great! Make sure tires have proper air pressure and everything is secure and go. If you run into a lot of cross wind slow down and keep your foot off the brake.

13. hepme

hepme

Gusty winds?
    Simi's in Texas will give you that as they pass you at 100+. In the old days we had ice houses along the way to help steady your nerves, a few cool ones and we never noticed any type "winds". Now we just close our eyes.

14. Will, FWIW, I flat towed a U-Haul car trailer from Denver to Chicago with an OT asian pickup on I-80 and grabbed my 36 Chevy from my Mom's garage and towed it back home. Always wind thru Iowa, Nebraska and eastern Colorado, no issues with wind gusts or the surge brakes. It was an uneventful trip. You'll be fine towing with that size truck, "GET ER DONE". Mitch

15. rlsteel

rlsteel

I can tell you for sure motorcycles and wind do not mix.

16. Will_K

Will_K

Always front first, I really never consider any other way of course. And yeah, open flat car trailer. It's that or a dolly trailer if you're renting from uhaul. In my experience the cars I'm hauling today are usually no issue, but I did tow a Ford Flex and they made me rent a truck for that, and I could feel why. These are definitely not that heavy or that much like a sail.

I slept in a bit because I'm also planning to pick up an argon tank and the welding supply doesn't open on Saturday until 10.

Probably the worst tow experiences I have had was stupid things like forgetting to tighten the clamp then activating the emergency brake when it bounced off the hitch behind a 26' box truck... And I did once time get a Uhaul car hauler trailer with low tire pressure, ever since I tend to check tire pressure every time.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Like was said, always be aware. When coming out of forested or high banked areas, the wind will hit you on the more level open areas. Don’t be afraid of it, but be ready for it when it does. Those wind warnings are usually for higher profile vehicles like box vans and motor homes, but that doesn’t mean you won’t feel the winds. I pulled flatbeds for years, even when empty you could feel the stronger winds.

I’ve pulled many a vehicle on trailers with no brakes at all, so it’s what you get used to. Surge brakes will be better than none. I too like to travel the slower State roads while towing. Easier to control the load at slower speeds.

seb fontana likes this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

Just go easy.
    U haul trailers are OK, they're serviced and inspected on a regular basis and actually get tires replaced - often a better option than borrowing a trailer that's been sitting around.

seb fontana likes this.
  19. As a guy who has towed 100's of thousands of miles from Alaska to the states. 1/2 ton truck will be just fine as the tow vehicle. for a 100 mile run each way , not a problem. Also make sure that both the trailer and tow vehicles tires are properly inflated . As noted earlier to take the secondary highways and stay below 60 MPH in your case. Take your time and do not rush it. If you are concerned of the side winds , I would suggest to get someone else do the hauling .
    Vic

caprockfabshop likes this.
  20. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

We pulled this heavy ass Merc from central Mi. to our house in western Mn. on a UHaul trailer. Was surprised at how well the thing handled. My truck is a 1/2 ton two wheel drive Dodge with a small V8. Trailer is short but had big tires and good springs and brakes, no problems at all! IMG_2081 - Copy.jpg IMG_2095[2870].jpg

Attached Files:

caprockfabshop and tractorguy like this.
  21. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Looks like to much tongue weight to me. But what do I know!!! Ralphie

22. Budget36

Budget36

If you can keep 300lbs or so of TW, you’re in good shape with a 1/2 ton truck. 3/4 ton and larger you can probably go with more w/o worry. But too much when fitting a vehicle on, is better than too little;)

VANDENPLAS and seb fontana like this.
  23. I'm probably too late with this but I-75 is closed for the weekend north of Monroe to demolish the Newport Rd. bridge.

24. Will_K

Will_K

Yeah took 275 to 75. I started out with surface roads but decided it wasn't too bad, stuck with 65 mph. I could feel the wind, but I never really swerved because of it like the other jackasses going 80.

Unfortunately the mustang wouldn't start so it got left behind... I actually felt the wind more with the trailer empty after 8 pm. It wasn't gusty but the winds in ohio were steadily pretty strong

VANDENPLAS likes this.