Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What would you have driven

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roder1935, Oct 29, 2022.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

I read somewhere that there were 6 body styles for A's but 27% of sales were tudors. That makes sense. You can get the maximum people and stuff inside without the cost of a 4 dr

2. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I can't recall where I read it, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate, in 1920, 20% of new cars were closed-bodied, but by 1930, 80% were closed-bodied. The manufacturers were developing the ability to build closed cars at lower prices as their production methods improved, and demand changed. Another facet with early motor car sales, the buying public was accustomed to having a verbal/physical relationship with the horse(s) that pulled them, so open cars were a natural. Eventually everyone figured out they didn't need to be exposed anymore, especially as speeds increased so much.

3. indyjps

indyjps

I drive a truck now, because I need a truck often enough to drive a truck.

I'd probably driven a truck back then too.

I don't consider myself a truck guy, don't build them, don't 4x4 for fun, don't lift them. Just need the bed and towing capability.

4. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve been thinking about this topic, then trying to put myself back nearly a 100 years. Would I have been working at 16/17 for someone other than my dad? Heck, I only worked full time during the summer, HighSxhool was , well school and sports. Only work was on the weekends.
    But would things have been different if I was born is say 1910, not 1961?
    Assuming things would have been exactly the same in a life back then as is was when I was 16, the vehicle I’d have is what my dad would have passed off to me. I wouldn’t have had a choice in the matter, basically drive it or ride your bike. Now fast forward a few years from my teen days, out of the house, working for a living, etc. the first new car I bought was a commuter, I shall purposely omit the name;). I had a 170-180 mile round trip to work for some damned good money, heck, Near 10 bucks an hour;), and my V8 OT car was biting into the paycheck.
    Now I realize that that type of commute to work probably would have been near unheard of back in the 30’s, etc.
    I’m thinking folks were really practical back then, and bought just what they needed, no so much what they wanted.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Now I need a truck just enough to need one as well. Have to move a horse here and there, use a trailer to haul crap out ( used to be in) and the 4wd was when I used to hunt. The country wasn’t that rough, but if bad weather hit, it would have been real tough going in a 2wd truck.
    I’m like you, never had the need to lift either one I have, not go “have fun” just use them for a purpose.
    That said, when it come to old iron, I am a truck guy. To me trucks are simple, less fuss than a car. But that’s just me.

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Whatever was cheap and no one else wanted.

indyjps likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-10-31_4-24-50.png

Hello,

In the 30’s our dad was just finishing his college studies. He did not have enough money to buy a car, let alone an open roadster. So, he did as best that he could for transportation to and from school. Busses, the red car on the local tracks, etc. he worked part time and saved enough money for his first car in his senior year. The misnomer of roadsters in the thirties is evident in a lot of photos, but most people had sedans and coupes.

My dad’s family lived in Terminal Island and then San Pedro. So, the weather was always salty air and in San Pedro Harbor Channel, it was called “Hurricane Gulch.” As the normal West winds blow toward land, the peak of the San Pedro hill/small mountain, acted as a barrier and channeled the wind around. The main harbor channel was a simple avenue of air movement. The people that lived on that side of the large San Pedro/Palos Verdes hill were the recipients of the masses of wind, on a daily basis.

So, most of the cars were coupes and sedans.

Jnaki
    upload_2022-10-31_4-27-42.png
    So, the enclosed 1936 Dodge Sedan was his first official car. It worked for him until he sold it and years later, started his long lineup of Buick Sedans. 9 overall in all different styles of Buick Models.

Where were the open roadsters? Not in this very early So Cal usually misty, foggy, salt air weather area along the coastline.
    upload_2022-10-31_4-29-27.png
    Tennessee in the 30s… other great grandpa

upload_2022-10-31_4-30-4.png
    OKC in the late 30's- early 40’s… other grandpa from that area

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was kind of a spoiled rich kid...I can picture myself in a raccoon coat, straw boaters hat, and driving a Stutz or a Doozy to college...and pickin' up the dames...23 skidoo;) 0.38.jpg

9. low down A

low down A

people that were thinking sporty or convinance in there cars in the 20's and 30's were not driving fords, the working class man's yearly salary would not have bought a new car, the country was in a depression things like am i going to have a job or just keeping the farm and feeding the kids was what was on the mind of most people. a car any car would have been a luxury . henry ford was the first factory owner to pay his workers a dollar a day and that was in the 30's i forget exact year. when life is truely about survival kids or family members sitting in a rumble seat on each others lap is pretty unimportant.

49ratfink likes this.