Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is there a color you won't paint a car? why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 26, 2022.

1. hillbillyrabbit

hillbillyrabbit

I'm gonna have to go with black. Man,
    I think black cars are beautiful when they are clean...... That fifteen minutes after you have spent all day making it shine, magnificent. After that, its dirty again.

mrspeedyt and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Blue. I'm color blind for that end of the spectrum, violet, blue, gray, all the same to me. I go for black (the absence of color), white, or Ferrari RED!

There was that time with the lady tattoo artist, the gallon of Kelly Green, and the floor fan. But I'm much better now... and back to normal skin tones!

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any color that you say no to someone else it is the greatest - a color on one car can "kill" the car on another - so many variables, even with black

Cosmo49, WalkerMD and Just Gary like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Light blue…unless I want to sell it in West Los Angeles.

wheeldog57 likes this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think orange is perceived as being such a competition type color. Maybe more so than any other. For that reason, I believe orange is best reserved for very performance oriented cars with extremely badass attitudes.

I've never cared for green very much. I like dark colors, so maybe a really dark forest green. No metallic.
    But I can't help liking a nice mint or otherwise known as seafoam green. It's so 50s traditional looking.

Magenta makes me not feel so good. LOL

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pink. Definitely won't ever paint a car that I own pink.

7. I actually think the Infantry Blue I painted my old touring hurt my resale when the time came.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. I like just about all colors. I don't care much for brown but my sister used to have a cordovan brown with gold metal flake Corvair that really looked good.
    But Pink...yuk. Just looking at pink makes me a little nauseous...so no thank you on pink...:confused:

9. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I gotta vote black, way too hard to keep clean, yeah I know, I drive a black truck but it came that way and I don’t do re- paints. Never saw a re-paint I liked in all the time I did body work, which to be fair was a couple years in the early 80s.

10. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never any flat color. Ron

11. das858

das858

Can't do green or brown .

12. Brown for the same reason. If it’s brown flush it.
    Won’t ever consider pink either. Reminds me of Pepto Bismol.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

White to gray—- too much a fleet color
    Green\
    Brown/ —— being red green color blind, hard for me to tell the difference in them
    Red —— Ok, but still hard for me to see in some instances

That only leaves any shade of blue to black, any shade of yellow to gold, and maybe orange on something like a 60’s-70’s muscle car.

Blue has to be my favorite, even though my pickup is black, wife’s suv is dark red, and my 47 is gold.

Tow Truck Tom and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. White. It's a fleet color... its only other use should be on kitchen appliances.

Cosmo49 and tr_rodder like this.
  15. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

no gray or brown

Tow Truck Tom and Just Gary like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Color decision is weird.
    At least for me.
    Color means nothing.
    Yet it means so much.

210superair, mrspeedyt and JimSibley like this.
  17. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I would agree, although white as part of a multi color paint scheme is perfectly acceptable.

There’s certain shades of every color that I would avoid entirely…

tr_rodder and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Nipple Pink, I probably wouldnt but if you need to sell something a bit rough it beings all the suckers in.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy James Hurst in Texas is color blind as far as green/brown go> I didn't know that until we were riding down the street one day and he says "that's a great looking car what color is it?" His wife always laid out his clothes for him to wear and I I finally figured out that he couldn't tell certain colors from each other and rather than get fussed at he just let her pull out what she decided he needed to wear and did a hell of a good job of it.

I've had five black cars in my life , three red ones, two gray/silver a crap ton of blue ones, and a couple of green ones (my 51 Merc was green when I bought it in 1973). Add in three white ones and one blue and white 55 Ford.
    My 71 GMC is 516 "Orange'. It will probaby go back to that. I just don't feel like the hassles of painting it a different color anymore. The 48 will be red again. What red is still to be determined.

As far as not liking won't ever paint it that color like a few others those Pastels from back in the 90's and early 2k just flat have never spun my wheels.

I like black but hate like hell to try to photograph black or dark blue cars as it is a royal pain in the ass to show any detail. Especially indoors in an indoor car show. If you want to play show car and want people to take more than the snap when walking by shot the color needs to show the details you worked so hard to get right. When we painted the 48 in 1982 we went around in the day time and at night looking at cars on car lots to find a color that looked great in daylight and under the lights.

Petejoe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

21. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Dodge calls it Smoke Show...
    Honda calls it Sonic Gray Pearl...

We all know it as GE Industrial Gray.

I painted a car that color as it was cheap, to this day it still haunts me.

22. That prison wall pastel green that seems to be on the inside of every military armored vehicle, or anything that comes close to it, yuck!

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be more likely to paint a custom certain colors that I would never consider for a hot rod.

And maybe consider colors for a 50s or 60s build that I wouldn't want on a 1940s and earlier style hot rod.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Silver, everywhere you look there's silver cars

Davesblue50 and warbird1 like this.
  25. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

The ONLY time that I would paint a car pink….a 1959 Cadillac.

Davesblue50, Slopok and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

1990's street rod pastels.

Cheers,
    Harv

tr_rodder and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Under no circumstances would I ever paint my avatar a pastel color ( I’d rather argue the difference between candy and metallic paint with Joe Bailon) .

28. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I can't say there's a hard line NO to any color, ever. I can't see doing a pastel, but I could do a 2 tone pink and black caddy. No lime green, except that would fit on a late 60's early 70's dodge. At one time I would have said no root beer brown, but that can look good on certain cars too. I'm not into detailing at all so black would be bad for me, but it is always so classy. The right car could call for it. White? Definitely not on an early car, but a 60's Impala or Thunderbolt? Hell yeah. I had plans to do my Henry J in a gold metallic base with a candy orange, I think that would really pop on the drag strip. I've always really liked blues, but never owned a blue car. My 55 pickup I painted 2 tone green with a white top, it came out looking great.

Devin

chryslerfan55 and indyjps like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don't quite understand the question, after years of panel repair and block sanding how could you paint a car a color that you don't like?

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

depends on the style. no chopped custom car should ever be painted yellow and no prewar car should be white.

in the parallel universe where I actually did all the things I wanted to do in life I think I would have painted a bunch of cars black. blocked, buffed and polished to perfection. in my mind that is the ultimate color.