Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IowaTom, Oct 24, 2022.

1. IowaTom

IowaTom

Guys - I just rebuilt my '59 Rambler's 195.6 OHV inline six and have been prepping for the restart. Today I used my pre-lube pressure tank to force feed oil where the sun don't shine and a couple of gallons of distilled water in the radiator.
    I have been very careful about timing and have adjusted the valves with patience.
    In setting my distributor to fire at the right moment and to get this engine running since the rebuild, should the rotor be just a little behind, spot on, or a little ahead of the tower for that specific plug? It wants to start but is acting like timing might be a little off in cranking. No, I'm not 180º off. :)
    Thanks much!

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If a point distributor, set the TDC mark on the damper to the base timing mark on the timing counter. Then drop the distributor in with rotor pointing toward plug wire terminal for #1, then rotate the distributor just till the points open and lock it down.

ottoman and squirrel like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

the pointing of the rotor won't tell you much about the timing, besides which cylinder it's set to.

Like he said, you have to rotate the distributor housing so the points just open, but you also have to pay attention to which way the rotor turns, so that you turn the distributor housing "into" the rotor rotation (with the crankshaft position such that the timing pointer is aligned with the correct mark on the pulley). Hard to explain....but since the rotor turns counter-clockwise on this engine, you need to be turning the housing clockwise, and stop just as the points begin to open. Connecting power to the coil primary side (like, turn on the ignition) and have a spark plug connected to the coil high voltage terminal. then watch the plug fire as you slowly turn the distributor housing.

4. IowaTom

IowaTom

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using a Pertronix Ignitor instead of points.

5. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Same principle, just a different type of switch

6. squirrel

squirrel

put the points back in, then I can help you....

:)

7. I can't add anything more to this answer.

Paul likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

I am a fan of electronic ignition one draw back you need to put anticize on the sparkplugs because they will be in there so long they can be hard to get out. Remember that timing mark comes every revolution and spark every other revolution.

MCjim likes this.
  9. NoelC

NoelC

Think of it this way, if you were on the side lines handing out water to a runner running past, where should the hand-off be?

As he approaches, once alongside, or on his way past.

10. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

I suggest putting timing advanced a bunch for cam break-in. I often run 45-50 degrees total. it will lower exhaust temps a bunch,and make for a much happier motor .Of course you can't drive it like that, but just for braek-in.
    when setting distributor for initial start up, align timing mark about 30 degrees . it should get ya close. Most every time someone sets timing at TDC , it's ALWAYS SLOW.(retatrded)

IowaTom and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

HAHAHHA NO kidding. !! Great to see ya on drag week Jim !

12. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Line up timing marks on the crank. Drop in dist. Energize the ignition. Rotate the dist. until there is spark at number one plug. Start engine and final adjust timing.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Set your distributor in after bumping/turning the the engine over with the valve cover off watching the #1 intake valve close the moving about 30* more aiming the rotor at the #1 position on the cap. Leave the hold down snug so you can turn it easily.
    Ignore the removing Pertronix na-sayers, just don’t leave the ignition on without it running.

Rramjet1, IowaTom and MCjim like this.
  14. IowaTom

IowaTom

Thank you all! Very helpful stuff.