Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed…. Required

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEZSFRK, Oct 15, 2022.

1. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

Any advice or tricks would be appreciated…. I am trying to remove a hinge pin from a 62 econoline door with no success so far. I have a hinge pin press from Bob drake and have tried heat and partially drilling out the center to no avail… any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks 0154ADC7-243E-45AB-9621-548254E172E6.jpeg EFCA6C4F-0F2C-4448-87CB-81905561BEE9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Are you going to replace the hinge? If so, cut the pin with a grinder. If you want to rescue the hinge, did you heat it cherry red hot?

Kevin Ardinger likes this.
  3. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

Yes I need to save the hinge

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I had to drill all the way thru mine. With progressively bigger drill bits. I finally was able to beat it out.

rodncustomdreams likes this.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if you can get a Dremell cut off wheel in the gap and cut the pin top and bottom, then you should be able to remove the rest of the pin once the door is out of the way.

-Abone.

rodncustomdreams and Just Gary like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

I see grind marks on that hinge. Has it been welded on too? Looks to have suffered some carnage. Maybe the pin is stuck from something besides just rust.

7. Might just be an illusion, but in the first picture it looks like the pin is bent.

8. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps drill both ends of the pin out as large as you can without getting into the hinge

Only drill a bit past the hinge area on top and bottom

Cut a section out of the pin in the middle

lLghtly drive a wedge or such between the cut out area of the pin

Pushing the top out and the bottom down

The pressure will be less on 2 pins than the pin as a whole

The pin looks swollen from corrosion

My experiences with such are that the forces to remove are greater

If the hinge ID bcomes damaged from drilling the pin or corrosion, ream or hone and use an oversize pin

Ricky.

Budget36 likes this.
  9. NoelC

NoelC

That's the nice way of saying you have a hell of a mess on your hands. The hinges look bent like a dog's hind leg. You want to fix that, remove them off the unit. Once off, straighten them to align the hinge parts and the pin will most likely come out then. I doubt you can fix that with a door attached and most likely will damage more then you fix by trying.

5window, '28phonebooth and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  10. scotts52

scotts52

One thing to note when heating a part to red hot. Wait until it cools to beat on it. Otherwise you're just doing untold damage to everything.
    I always heat red hot and let it cool to the touch at least 3 times before trying to do whatever it is...drive out a pin, turn a rusty bolt, turn a rusted screw, etc.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  11. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

believe it or not that hinge is not bent... the bad thing about the econoline hinge is that they are rivited or swedged to the door side so the hinge is not easily removable from the door side. thanks so far for the tips that have been givin.

12. SS327

SS327

Oxy torch. Can’t be stuck if it’s almost molten.

13. NoelC

NoelC

I don't. Sorry to say, I'm calling a vote.
    Those who don't agree raise your hand. See the hands up. You'd think we are in a bank.
    Riveted or swedged , well the guy who did that was a man who used a machine Jim. You wanted easy and got painful, I say you have to grow from it.

But if it's not bent it worn its own groove to appear to be bent. Final answer. You need a bigger hammer. I'd remove them the hard way, cause the easy way isn't working so far.

Attached Files:

Fordors likes this.
  14. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Cutting the head off and driving the pin out in reverse is doable, if it's drilled down past the locking splines. Sometimes the splines are locked into the hinge really tight and can be the one thing that's making removing the pins tuff.
    I've done lots of hinges and have had good luck using the pin tool. I set the tool up, put some tension on it, then smack the end of the tension screw with a brass hammer. Keep repeating this and the pin will eventually start to move. If it won't work cold I use heat and keep at it.
    Tip: Tape up some cardboard around the hinge to keep from gouging sheet metal. Good luck!

alanp561 and '28phonebooth like this.
  15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what has worked for me. Three heat cycles, localized on the head, cherry red each time. And it's got to be oxy/ac. A propane torch won't do. The go at it with a drift and hammer.

scotts52 likes this.
  16. It looks like the pin is REALLY worn and off center, meaning you'll play hell trying to get it to line up while you're extracting it. I'd vote for using a thin cutoff wheel or hacksaw to cut the pin on both sides, then fishing out the pieces. Might have to drill the remnants out.
    Good luck!

17. GEZSFRK

GEZSFRK

Thank you

18. 5window

5window

You might try positioning the door/hinge at different degrees of being open. My A doors would only allow the pin to move at a certain angle due to wear.