Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Fastest Woman on Earth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 11, 2022.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can confirm that. She carried an energy with her the likes of which I rarely encounter.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Okie Pete and Tman like this.
  2. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Thanks for sharing,never knew about how Mike passed.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

Was at T.R.O.G. ( Wildwood NJ ) several years ago, Jesse Combs was there driving the Craftsman Tools Spl. 'Was hoping to get her autograph and share with her my brief experience with a QF-104. ( a remote controlled drone ). While stationed at the 46th A,D.M.S. McGuire AFB, 'was part of a crew who traveled to Eglin, AFB Florida, where we launched an IM99-B / BOMARC missile. It was a direct-hit as confirmed by telemetry. *I did not get to meet Jesse at T.R.O.G. as the lines of folks wanting to speak with her were very long. Apparently Lockheed F-104 Starfighters were also known as "widow-makers". Here's a bit of data from the Inner-Web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Eagle_Project

The "Widowmaker" - Starfighter F-104G - - YouTube

4. Budget36

Budget36

I recall the posting on the HAMB, had no idea who she was until I either clicked a link, or saw a pic posted.
    I used to watch Overhaulin long time ago, not knowing a thing about her I had thought she was just the lady who replaced the other lady.
    Boy was I wrong.

5. F*ck the French. Cheese eating surrender monkees that they are ;)

6. I will watch the show and I am sure will be an emotional time. I respect that she had a drive and purpose far beyond what most people have. That is why she was successful until that ultimate end day. Life is all about risk, we take it in every day and make judgments on what we will or will not do. Thrust powered land speed racing is certainly a very high risk undertaking as the speeds exponentially increase the consequences if something goes wrong.

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Only met her once. Beautiful throughout...
    Second tragic news for me this year. True loss.

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Sears Point had a little rocket/ jet car experience in the early days, in '73 Paula Murphy went off the end of the track in the peroxide rocket car, when the chute opened it broke the frame and detached from the car. Thankfully there was a lot of open real estate beyond the track at that point. They had an exhibition jet car there once when I was there, back when they still had the small tower that was directly behind the starting line. They put plywood over the upstairs tower windows and cleared everyone out, but the announcer stayed in there for the drama. Usual show with amping up the jet and then popping the afterburner- not sure if the announcer knew about the afterburner. As they spun it up he went on about it's getting louder, windows are rattling, getting louder- HOLY SHIT!!! when the afterburner popped

Hellbentrodder and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thats a crock, It was a shelfish act on her part, for the amount of pain and grief she caused her family and friends
    Gov spends millions training pilots to fly jet planes and takes months. Andy Green was an RAF pilot before breaking the sound barrier in the SSR. And you feel its OK to put a reality personality in an untested death trap because she "has balls"

10. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's your solution then? A nanny state where a governing body has to sign off one every single vehicle ever driven and all high speed driving has to be supervised and approved by some bureaucrat from his throne room? A world where if I want to see if a flathead ford can go 150mph is some how "Selfish" and inconsiderate to my family and friends? Who are you to say that her family and friends weren't 100% supportive and understanding of the inherent risks?

So I guess one day when the novel 1984 comes to fruition you will feel "safe" knowing that the government is making sure no one does anything crazy like driving fast. Like that's a huge issue for the world at large...

Geez,
    Peter

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Did you know Jessi or are you just assuming you know the whole story? I think it's really easy to just be judgmental about this if you don't dig too deep.

At the end of the day though, your opinion doesn't matter. Neither does mine. And as such, it makes no rational sense to argue about it or be up in arms or... whatever...

12. What a dumbass statement. Every man or woman who chooses to race, jump out of a plane, sail a boat, fight in the UFC, does so by their own choice. Or...racing and competing wouldn't exsist. Every competitor does so for their own gratification. Selfishly!

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think it's perfectly normal to have the reaction he had... to have the thoughts he is having... I just don't think it's super appropriate to post it publicly as if an authority on the story.

I also don't think any of this is worth calling people names over. I mean... this is a sad story... it doesn't need further dragging into darkness.

Outback, fauj, 3AMideaz and 3 others like this.
  14. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

It would be intriguing if the dead heroes could divulge their opinion...

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When we meet them someday…maybe we can ask.

seb fontana and Tman like this.
  16. I agree Boss....but I said it was a dumbass STATEMENT, not him...lol.

chryslerfan55 and Ryan like this.
  17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

No, did not know her personally, but I do know the vehicle, and as a race car builder for over 40 years, it has always been my responsibility to engineer and build the safest cars. Yes, drivers still die, nothing will ever change that. But as a builder, I provide the best odds at survivability. The goal is to evolve and learn from the past

chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I guess that's my issue with your statement then. You didn't know her, but jump to the conclusion that she was selfish and needlessly put her family through hell.

Maybe that's the case. Hell, I dunno... I just don't get why you would make such a stink about it publicly. Doing so does nothing, but create drama. You don't change minds on the internet.

In any case, we agree on the principal of the build... that much is certain. That was one sketchy ass race car that she gave her life for... by choice...

Outback, porkshop, 19Eddy30 and 5 others like this.
  19. metalshapes

metalshapes

I absolutely disagree with this.

Nobody is obligated to avoid any kind of danger to the point where it stifles the way a person wants to live, and pursue goals.

As devastating as it can be for the people that love that person.

20. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe she was more than just a reality personality, please watch the documentary on her. I believe it will shed some light on who she was and what she was about. I understand your frustration with the choice of vehicle she used. You said you build race cars, so that makes perfect sense. You also said that even a properly built car does not guarantee survival. I think we can agree that there are literally thousands of stories out there of people who died who should have lived and vice-versa.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking only for myself here, if I did not take risks, some of which might have ended my life, I would not be the successful person that I am today.

Life without risk is not life at-all.

fauj, porkshop, 19Eddy30 and 6 others like this.
  22. I knew her.....and her family and friends loved and supported her choices. FYI, she also raced Off Road trucks, loved to ride her Harley, and would try any kind of racing. She wanted to experience as much as she could. She was NO Kardashian....

Outback, Hellbentrodder, fauj and 6 others like this.
  23. 34Larry

34Larry

You may know the North American Eagle was built here in my neck of the woods. Just after it was completed, I was at the chrome vendor I using at the time picking up some parts for my '66 Rivi, in Auburn when I met the builder of the North American Eagle Project. I don't recall his name', Ed Sidel maybe. Anyway, his shop where the Eagle was at that time, was next door to the vendor and since he was scrambling for money and was looking very hard for that, he asked me to donate and asked me over to see it when I told him I worked for Boeing and was a Manufacturing Engineer. Everyone here knows it was an Air Force retired scrapped junk F-104. I was pretty impressed as he showed me around the CAR (?),but having just gotten through a divorce settlement.......... without funds. He said he could use volunteer help and offered that to me at any time I wanted the position. I did consider it at times but never did have the desire as I was working with my free time on my 34.
    My thoughts were about the structure loads vs. flight loads, especially ground load since the original use was air and not mother earth. I was pretty sure he in his own right was a good engineer and had good ones on the project also.
    Sad what took place a year ago although I never met anyone else and missed the chance to know Jessi may she rest in peace, I was as sad about her loss as everone here has mentioned they then and still am.

Toms Dogs, rod1, porkshop and 3 others like this.
  24. metalshapes

metalshapes

His statement is complete nonsense.

Because it tries to remove the responsibility to weigh the risks of a endeavor, and give that responsibility to the casual observer.

And, depending on the sensibilities of that casual observer, that will exclude any kind of motor sport, if not most sports in general, mountain climbing, riding a bike in traffic, etc.

In other words, it would give the ability to determine where the tipping point is ( between an acceptable risk, or not ) to people who are not involved...

And none of this minimizes the hurt to the people that loved her.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  25. saltracer219

saltracer219

26. Risks are all around us. We all take em
    I’m reminded of the many times I’ve risked my own life.
    Her and her loved ones knew the score. Doesn’t ease any pain from losing someone.
    I guess some things just are what they are
    She’s one of my favorite modern builders/fabricators.
    friend of mine worked with her a little. He has nothing but positive to say about her skills and personality, even before her untimely death.
    Our welding instructor uses her story and work to inspire his female students. Plan to do the same with mine.
    Maybe another Jessi is out there sitting in some shop class.

27. tjm73

tjm73

I'd like to watch this and I usually don't do documentaries.

28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

never forget the show where she couldn't continue. her appendix had burst and she was trying to soldier on!

29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a YouTube link about the North America Eagle project that at the very least is enlightening and some what informative.
    I tried to post it here, but the link failed.
    It's from our local station KBTC PUBLIC TELEVISION
    It's from 6 years ago and it's 26.46 long.
    It's well worth your time, to look it up on your YouTube access.

I won't say anything negative about Jessie or any of the crew, enough has been said already by those in the know.

What I will say is simply this, that F-104 Starfighter, airframe was surplus, and it was never intended to be anything other, than what it was originally designed for.

Watch the video and draw your own conclusions about this choice of aircraft, as a potential land speed record setting vehicle.

I think you will agree, it's very controversial, that this entire project, how ever noble the gesture, had some inherent flaws, that could have been avoided.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  30. twenty8

twenty8

Let's hope so.........