Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Black paint, let’s discuss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In physics and on the light spectrum, black is the absence of color (as stated). However, in art, black is the presence of all colors. It is also said that black is the absence of all light. Regardless of definition, it makes cars and little cocktail dresses look great!

Just Gary, Torkwrench, Cheeta and 6 others like this.
  2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a little insensitive Billy...some of us have a hard time pulling of that little, black cocktail dress look:eek:

3. Some Black "Touchup Paint and a black Sharpie and you'll be set. Wipe it every morning wash it once a week. It does get about 15 deg. hotter inside.

Roothawg likes this.
  4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Hopefully we'll only find you in one of those two billy! Lol.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Black paint makes cars look great…big boobs and round butts make any color little cocktail dresses look great!

-Brent-, da34guy, X-cpe and 5 others like this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love black paint, but having had a couple black cars, you will find you have to ignore some things. Like driving it a little, or even just letting it sit outside, and finding it's dusty. You can wash a black car, wipe it dry, and a couple hours later walk up to it and see all the fine dust has settled on it. Of course that dust settles on all the other cars, but wont show like it does with black.
    Then there's any tiny imperfection that might occur after it's finished and you see all of them easily!
    I still love to see them, but wont own another. Too much work to keep them perfect.

7. [​IMG]
    Black comes in shades, too. Some are grayer, and some are bluer. They look great on perfect metal, and are hard to keep clean. Single stage looks better than bc/cc, inmho. Too much work for an old man to keep up. They are hard to photograph.

That is all I know about black cars, and I won’t paint another one that color.

8. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Back in th late '90's I had a '68 Camaro with a black lacquer paint job.It was a love/hate relationship for sure,lol.Loved the compliments at car shows but it was a pain keeping it clean and shiny!

210superair likes this.
  9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Many if not most paint shops use base coat/clear coat pretty much exclusively, even when the car is painted black. Which is fine...except on an "old school" hot rod...in my humble opinion. It's "too deep" for a traditional car, and once it's been cut and buffed it's also too damn shiny. Do what you want, but don't let the paint shop talk you into using a "modern" paint material on a traditional car if you care at all about authenticity. Okay...rant over.

-Brent-, chryslerfan55 and Gotgas like this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's a total pain in the ass. I don't think I'll have another. But when it's clean, it looks great. :)

upload_2022-10-7_13-49-45.jpeg

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Friends cars; one gloss, the other flat back apart from a glossy frame
    313273968_1142278500013912_4387251101311043991_n.jpg
    312894050_841666790294574_151980314655584318_n.jpg

12. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My latest BLACK entry. Ron bw2.jpg

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  13. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would you please advise the rear wheel and tire configuration on the '40 coupe. Ron

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Years ago I had a coworker that drove a black car. After a while, I noticed a pattern of it looking too shiny too often in the parking lot. I asked her how can that be and she told me she keeps a California Duster in the car and uses it at least once a day, often more than that.
    I'm not endorsing anything. I've never owned one of those myself. I'm just recalling what I asked and what I was told in answer.

Budget36 likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mmmm, black!
    upload_2023-6-21_22-11-6.jpeg

-Brent- and guthriesmith like this.
  16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This is (NAPA) Martin #8800 Senor black acrylic enamel with hardener painted in 1988.
    Very hard surface that resists gasolene and is easy to keep clean.
    IMG_8872.JPG

-Brent- and guthriesmith like this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The daily reality is indeed, just got washed or needs it. Swirls? Yup. I never wax or wipe down in a circular fashion like the can/bottle says. Cobwebs result. I go straight front to back, by doing that you can only see it from maybe 2 or 3 degrees out of 360. The downside of pretty black finishes are heat, damage or distress, upkeep, and believe it or not visibility when working on certain things (think about that a few seconds). Also EVERY minor finish detractor will be noticed...by YOU. The casual observer will seldom to never see that minor scuff, slight wave, stone chip, etc. I agree with some above observations too. A nice black sharpie is your friend, simple black touch up too. You're in luck these days as women have taken to black nail polish. Cheap, dries fast, brush included. Keep it waxed well, slippery, your leaf blower or shop blow gun works fast. Final advice, NEVER use those car dusters on a fine black finish.

-Brent- likes this.
  18. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Owned around 45 years, dont worry if I drive it in rain, mud etc

Let people sit in it, put there shoes/boots on the bumpers an such

Do what makes ya happy

Ricky.

Attached Files:

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

First of all let’s start with the bare with you. Forget it, you can get naked by yourself :D

Having owned a 55 Chevy 210 painted in genuine black laquer I can tell you first hand that the tune is mostly right “Black cars look better in the shade “

When it was clean and scratch free it looked a mile deep and shone blue like a raven’s feathers.
    But trying to keep it that way was a real challenge.
    If you were picky with it you would spend more time polishing than driving.

05snopro440 likes this.
  20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We call them “California car scratchers”. Never use them on black vehicles. Spray detailer and micro fiber towels after you blow them with compressed air. Machine polish once a year in the spring.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  21. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

Black is like a dirt amplifier lol. Really I have a silver truck and had a pewter truck and 3-4 black ones you can park the pewter color that never gets washed next to the black that has been washed and waxed a couple days ago and the black looks dirtier the dirt just is not amplified on the light color like it is on that black background.

05snopro440 likes this.
  22. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black is Beautiful! moblak.jpg