Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Black paint, let’s discuss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 29, 2022.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

"How hard is it to keep a black car up?"
    Short answer....
    Twice the time to make it look good that lasts half as long looking good.

2. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

I'm with a lot of you fellers that have/had a love/hate relationship with black cars. My last was my '12 Ram 1500. Absolutely beautiful when freshly washed! But within minutes here in the central San Joaquin Valley of California, (much dustier that the average town) the dust is already visible. After a few days, I may as well not washed it at all. Too tall and long to fit in the garage.
    I also made the mistake of taking it into a drive-thru car wash. Man, don't ever do that!
    And when watching cop shows on TV, I'd get pissed because those black SUVs were always perfectly clean even after a car chase!
    Anyway. I like lookin' at 'em. Nothing finer than a lazer straight car with mile-deep black paint.
    But I'm done with owning 'em.

Roothawg likes this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do flaws and dirt show less glaringly on semi- gloss black?
    I think I kind of like this "60%" semi-gloss black.

$_1.jpeg

Roothawg likes this.
  4. I use Adams detail spray all others leave a film from the sun. Black 32 Roadster

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Los Control, having had a few Dodge trucks of the era your truck is, I can tell you the glass in the cab is going to put more heat into the cab of the truck while its sitting in the sun then any exterior color will.

That said, my coupe was originally black (very poor condition), through that 1st month of summer, driving up her in northern IL, it was hot inside, an inside thermometer gave me an inside temp +20 degrees hotter then the outside. Around July, I painted the entire car white (before the blue was added). That same inside thermometer gave me readings of +10 hotter then the outside, the only difference was the white paint. At 90 degrees outside, how much difference does 10 degrees make? It cools off faster when it gets moving. A silver or white would probably make a bigger temp difference then a red, or blue would.

A left open vent, and under the roof insolation (one layer on the metal, and then a headliner) made a pretty big difference for the inside temp, those things probably had a lot more impact then the outside color.

Attached Files:

Torkwrench, Roothawg and Los_Control like this.
  6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

It’s a love/ hate relationship with my coupe…….but mostly love.

7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There isn't anything that compares with Black. ,That said, I took my pyrometer on my Caddy hood 177 degrees. White hood next to it: 152 degrees.

Roothawg likes this.
  8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My ot black pickup gets insanely hot inside sitting in the sun. If it's garaged no biggie. My ot sports car that's black is heavy tint on everything but the windshield, and the difference that makes when sitting in the sun is huge. It still gets hot in there, but nowhere near as hot as the truck.

Also, Jeff said he digs silver rods. My shoebox is silver-ish. Some sort of silver/gray/gun metal blue? But it hides dust and dirt incredibly well, so I second Guthrie on that....

Also, my wife's cousin in Chattanooga is married to a black car guy! Lol. He builds some awesome stuff. Currently building a big block in his garage for a mildly ot Chevy. Hell of a good wrench. He just came up and hung out with me this summer. We did some cruising in the box and hit the rifle range. Fun fella. Damn good cook too. He made us dinner one night, lol.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  9. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

A friend says “I love to see black cars, in someone else’s garage!”

Roothawg likes this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

CC85E44B-EC06-4C69-9B32-EBCD1A1354B5.jpeg I like black cars. Especially when they belong to someone else. My '34 was black, I regretted that choice as soon as it was painted. All the character lines of that graceful roadster body kind of disappeared. The color soaks all that up.
    For an occasionally driven specialty car, keeping one clean and looking it's best is not near the PIA that a black daily driver is. I have a 2019 RAM pickup that's "Brilliant Black" pearl, and it looked awful all the time until I bought a subscription at a new local car wash that allows me to have it washed as often as I want. They supposedly have some kind of "nano-particle" substance that, I kid you not, leaves it looking like has just been detailed. Which is great since I dislike cleaning and detailing a car.

Roothawg, mad mikey, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  11. BJR

BJR

I have had one OT black car. Nothing looks better than a clean black car...... But leave it outside for an hour and it is covered with dust, drive it and it is not clean. Every Fing spec of dust and dirt shows.

Roothawg and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

No, you ruined that one for me. Talking her into Starchief trim….;)

Now it has to be a two tone.

Sancho, Just Gary, Tman and 1 other person like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Sancho, Tman and Roothawg like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Had one black car and two black pickups. Car wasn't too bad to keep clean, first pickup stayed dirty since it was 4wd and I worked it a lot. Current 4wd is black, cleans up nice, but has dents that show up like moon craters. Some dents I put in it, some the grandson did by beating on it with various objects. It gets washed every once in a while, never wax it . Why? Because it suffers from newer paint breakdown, bare patches on the top and hood. Plan on shooting it from the bottom of the windows up to keep it looking good. If it doesn't match, so what. Not trying to impress anybody with it.

Roothawg and 210superair like this.
  15. It is definitely a "Love/Hate" relationship!

Boy they look great in the shop all polished up, but the problem is you have to drive them to the cruise or show & Viola....they look like crap!:eek:

I currently have 4 black vehicles (one of my transporting trucks, 2 other OT cars & my winter beater pickup) I am forever washing or wiping them down with detailer. The one that was not a pain was the 56 Chieftan I sold 2 summers ago, because it was painted Matte Black.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Roothawg likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

I've never had any trouble at all keeping a black car clean, and looking great...because it's always someone else's car! never mine. I wouldn't own one, on purpose.

17. missysdad1

missysdad1

Was getting ready to paint my latest project, the Arin Cee Roadster, glossy black. Nope. Changed my mind. It'll still be black, as Henry intended, but with a bit of flattening agent to cut the gloss. I'm just not into heavy maintenance any more...

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, I dunno. Lots of hate on the color black, but like Mark Moriarity said, when they're clean, ain't much more beautiful than a black car....

They're a pain, hell yes. But absolutely beautiful when all prettied up.

Roothawg likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

That’s what I say about flathead powered Hot Rods!

-Brent-, BamaMav, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  20. I like BLACK for Hot Rods. Shinny or not. 151.jpg 274.jpg :rolleyes:

21. Slopok

Slopok

I have said in other posts, "BLACK is not a color, BLACK is a JOB!"
    Done right, nothing looks better. :cool:

22. The tricks to keeping them looking new. A crayon is what the show car guys use. Get a scratch grab the Crayola and fill that bugger right up. ;)

Black is no different to keep fresh than any other paint. I like to use dark primer under black. Black primer if I can get it.

Hot rod mag did an article a few years back that said that black cars need to be buffed every year. The truth is that this would apply to any color paint if it were true. Keep it waxed and clean and enjoy it.

Or you could paint it red. I have own a couple of red cars I like 'em red. I have owned more black than red though.

NOTE: I did that just to muddy up the waters. My bike currently has 14 coats of hand rubbed black lacquer. You can walk into the paint.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    Roothawg likes this.
  23. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

The whole post was very useful for me gene thanks for your input.
    Really does put my mind at ease with going solid black.

Roothawg likes this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bringing a black one home tomorrow.......
    I'll wash it and buff it out once , then after that...... just California Dust it or rinse and towel dry.
    Good nuff.

Gone are my days of everything polished , bright, shiny and show time. ( The younger competitive me)
    Now it's drive, park, dust ( if even that) and let's catch up on old times and have a beverage.
    That's it for me.

Those are the memories that I remember more than any trophy show.

Roothawg and rod1 like this.
  25. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I love my black car. Its no lie though, it’s a pain to keep clean. 46194319-6E9E-472E-86AD-C8178A0592F8.jpeg

Ron Funkhouser, CME1, i.rant and 3 others like this.
  26. dln1949

dln1949

Hey EZI, that black paint sure makes them jack stands look good, black IS beautiful.

Roothawg likes this.
  27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've painted my last 3 rods with Valspar/J.D. blitz black...mainly because I'm lazy, and hate washing, wiping-down, waxing, polishing, buffing etc.
    A bucket of water, some Dawn, a sponge and hose it off...and it looks like brand new again:D

BUT BEWARE, your bodywork has to be absolutely perfect to use semi-flat black paint.

With shiny black paint, you are dealing with reflections, which will show big "waves" but those shiny reflections can also hide some smaller imperfections.

With semi-flat black, you are seeing the actual SURFACE of the paint without any distraction (reflections)...and every pinhole, pit and sanding scratch will be visible...and there's no buffing those imperfections out:eek:.
    32a.jpg pan9.jpg 36a.jpg

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Underneath that light it looks dark purple.

slim38 likes this.
  29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's see...

Shiny tan roadster
    All souped up
    Like vanilla cappuccino
    In a styrofoam cup

Uhhhhh... maybe not.

Roothawg likes this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m on the fence anyway. I have a first choice color in mind. It seems to be the one I gravitate to most often, but I am always open to other options.

I have been taking note of the amount of black cars today here at the Gathering at the Roc. There are tons. Now, with that said, I have noticed that is is more prevalent with a certain era of builds, which tend to be the early style. Sort of the late 40’s early 50’s build. I am feeling a 1959-62 era for my stuff.