Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Earl Buck, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Earl Buck

Earl Buck

I own a car that belonged to my Great Uncle who took it to car shows in New York state. It had a picture in Car Craft magazine February 1963 page 21. I seem to remember he said it was in another magazine with a full page article but I can't remember which magazine. I think it was Hot Rod magazine. I emailed Hot Rod and asked if they could search there data base and they said they couldn't or wouldn't. I have looked in every car magazine I could get my hands on but no luck. If anybody has any ideas on how to find out which magazine please let me know. Here is a picture of the car then. Thanks for any help you can give me. Earl Buckingham
    Coupe in Car Craft - Feb 1963.jpg

Stogy, hrm2k, AHotRod and 16 others like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have come to the right place! One of these guys will have the magazine sorted out and pictures posted before long.

In the meantime I noticed your last name is Buck, the car then was the property of Uncle Buck? BTTT. Oh and cool car!

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

<< I think it was Hot Rod magazine. I emailed Hot Rod and asked if they could search there data base and they said they couldn't or wouldn't. >>
    HRM has 'grown out of' its original theme... Pete Peterson had staff that would do research.
    Our late Pat Ganahl would have searched for that info...Maybe the car is featured in one of his "lost hot rods" books.

Stogy, hrm2k, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. williebill

williebill

Welcome to the HAMB. Nice car! Please don't change a thing on it!

5. Back up top. Yeah, HRM isn't what it used to be. Frankly, it kinda sucks anymore.

hrm2k, Andamo, olscrounger and 3 others like this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember that same picture from Car Craft show coverage, nothing more.

Stogy likes this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Awesome rod !!! Back then, coverage in a mag,was often 3 months old= Nov. or Dec. show from the year before.
    I have the 63 Jan. Car Craft,but that's a month off. My own car was in Jan. so I saved it.

Stogy, hrm2k, deadbeat and 1 other person like this.
  8. Earl Buck

Earl Buck

I hope it's that easy Bandit Billy Thanks

9. Earl Buck

Earl Buck

I agree with you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Earl Buck

Earl Buck

Thanks, I don't plan on changing a thing. It's just right.

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome Earl.
    I'm about 40 miles outside of Ithaca and don't remember the car from any of the local Binghamton NY indoor auto-ramas...1960s- 1972 West End Armory show, and later at the Broome Co. Arena.
    Is the car (and you) still in the Ithaca area?

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Fordors

Fordors

2582E14C-E4B7-45AE-81CF-217D57E8E6F0.jpeg AE34B5EC-774A-4E9E-AEA7-0D22F61039C4.jpeg

I can’t help with the other magazine it might have been in but if you’d like the Feb. ‘63 Car Craft it’s yours for the cost of the postage.
    Click on the envelope at the top of this page and send me your address.

13. HRM can't help with info because they don't have any. Right after Pat left HRM, they emptied out all the file cabinets and dumped it all in a dumpster. Pat heard about it and went dumster diving. He was able to save many of the old photos, but not all of them. Another corporate decision that baffles me. They also had a warehouse full of never circulated magazines. Tom Medley found a never sold Jan. 62 HRM and sent it to me. I still have it in Tom's mailing envelope because the address is written in Tom's own hand.

Stogy, dana barlow, hrm2k and 11 others like this.
  14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Very cool car! Can't help with the magazine, but it may be worth searching the Petersen Publishing archives. Tens of thousands of photos, but there is a search function so if you know certain shows it was at and the years, you can try searching those keywords. You never know. I found a lot of photos of one of my cars there. Here is the link:

Petersen Digital Archive

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Stogy likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did I say? Sherlock Holmes had nothin on the HAMB!

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hi @Earl Buck , I'm across the lake in Trumansburg. Glad to see that the car is still in the area. I don't recall seeing the car before but it looks like you Uncle built a sweet rod. Was it hidden for a long time?
    There are Hambers with large magazine collections, so hopefully someone will help with that. In the meantime, how about posting some more pictures and filling in the backstory on the coupe.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Earl Buck

Earl Buck

My uncle bought the car in 1959, I think. It was already chopped and channeled so he had a good start. He made a lot of little changes to it. He died suddenly in May of 1963. His wife sold everything, car, trailer, all the trophy's for $1400. What you see in the car craft picture. I was a little upset when I found that out. I was able to follow it for a few years but then lost it. In 1974 I found it the way you see in the one picture. I talked to the owner and tried to buy it but he wanted a ridiculous price. I told him if he ever changed his mind to call me. Will about a year later he called and I was able to buy it from him. I had the car for quite a long time before I could do anything with it, because of dollars and time. I got it just in time, someone was making it into a stock car racing. It had welded spider gears in the rear end. I got the car with no motor, It had a flathead in it. I had a 1963 327 motor to put in it. I got a after market frame to put under it and pretty much put it back the way it was. My son did most of the work. 20190922_095721.jpg 20190922_095753.jpg

Tim, Stogy, dana barlow and 13 others like this.
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Nice save...
    Marcus...

Stogy likes this.
  20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Glad you were able to get it back before it got changed to a stock car!

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

If it was featured in a magazine, it probably was one of those New York based publications.