Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg Carbs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fyrffytr1, Sep 23, 2022.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

What do You all think about the reproduction Stromberg carburetors? I would like to put two on an Edmund's aluminum intake for my 50 Pontiac.
    If they are not worth it what other three bolt base carb would work?

2. carbking

carbking

Carter made some type WD-0 carbs with a three bolt flange.

Pre-war Pontiacs used the WD-0, but the Pontiac version was a four bolt flange.

These would be my choice.

Jon

fyrffytr1 likes this.
  3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real Stromberg = yes
    Fake Stromberg= no

Carter, Bandit Billy and big duece like this.
  4. banjorear

banjorear

The English made ones are great. I know nothing about a 50's Pontiac motor, but if it's more than 300 ci, you may want to the consider the Big 97's. The are 250 cfm vs. 150 of a regular 97.

Another option is to find cores and have Uncle Max redo them for you. They will be as good as new English Strombergs

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    hrm2k likes this.

5. carbking

carbking

The Pontiac 8 was 268 CID.

Red line on the 1954 engine was 3800 RPM.

The performance benefit of dual carbs is going to be better average cylinder fill density. Since red line is low, and with the crank used, not going to be higher; larger carbs would simply slow the venturi air velocity and hurt the lower RPM performance, rather than helping.

Jon

6. carbking

carbking

With no offense meant to anyone!

Stromberg never published a flow value for the EE-1 Ford (a.k.a. 97), so any flow value is not a factory rating. I am not disputing either rating since there is no factory rating; but both cannot be correct!

Stomberg found that 1 1/16 inch was the MAXIMUM venturi size that could be used on the S.A.E. size 1 frame without issues. This was true whether we are talking EE-1 for Ford or the larger venturi size for Buick; or the 4 bolt EE-16 for Packard. If more than 1 1/32 venturi was needed, Stromberg went to a S.A.E. size 2 frame.

The "97" has 31/32 venturi.

The 1 1/32 venturi has 13 percent more area than the 31/32 venturi.

So IF the normal "97" flows 150 CFM, then the maximum on the S.A.E. size 1 frame would be 150 plus 13 percent, or 169.5 CFM.

Jon

Bandit Billy, LOST ANGEL and alanp561 like this.
  7. 40Vert

40Vert

My .02. The English Stombergs (stromberg-97.com) are spectacular. I have a total of four for my flatheads, two of the big-97’s on my Scot blower, and 2 of the regular 97’s on my Eddie Meyer. Super pleased with the quality and Clyde’s customer service is second to none.

hrm2k likes this.
  8. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have two of the English 97's on the avitar and they have been trouble free for several years and many miles.

hrm2k and fyrffytr1 like this.
  9. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Clives english Strombergs GOOD
    speedway motors 97,s SHIT

hrm2k and Happydaze like this.
  10. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to be hearing these opinions, was deciding if I wanted to run 9Super7s or pay up for the genuine article. Sounds like it's Stromberg all the way.

~Peter

hrm2k likes this.
  11. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Personally....I like the Holley 94's

12. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

And S.U.'s

13. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have 4 of the English on my olds 303 well built for sure but you will need to open up the wallet and worth every penny .

14. cretin

cretin

The English reproductions are good. Never used the speedway ones, but haven't heard good things.

While the English versions are good, in our experience, the floats are set too high out of the box and overflow. Hasn't happened every time, but enough times to mention it.

15. Get some original Stromberg 97 carburetors and send them to Max Musgrove ( Uncle Max ), e-mail, [email protected]. Max is probably the best Stromberg re-builder in the USA.

hrm2k likes this.
  16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I like Holley 94s too. Theyre great and relatively cheap. But they leak. Always. From somewhere.

Original nicely redone Strombergs are great too. Even better than the 94s I will finally admit (and I spent years evangelizing 94s on here).

All that being said. The reproduction licensed Strombergs being produced by Clive in England are perfect. They're disgustingly good. Like, holy shit good. After dicking with 94s for years and trying to fine tune 4 original nicely rebuilt originals, I bit the bullet and bought 4 reproductions.

I bolted them on and zeroed the linkage and had them singing at a sweet balanced idle in 15 MINUTES. Havent touched them since. Straight linkage, 4x2, NO gap or surge in the power band. Way better throttle response than the 94s. It woke up my motor.