Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Swing by and pick me up on the way!!!

Stogy, guthriesmith and Jeff Norwell like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

A good night… my Buddy Terry and my Brother in law, Jeff helped finalize the sheet metal and we trimmed up the hood.
    All fitting well.
    Push forward.

65656389-0BF7-48A8-B43E-A5D987812DF6.jpeg

alfin32, Okie Pete, Squablow and 21 others like this.
  3. Starting to look like a car again.

Jeff Norwell and Stogy like this.
  4. I'm liking what I see. You may get me to pull the cover off the one I have resting if you're not careful. It's not that I don't want to build it, just stuff in front on the to do list.

Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks guys!....

Yea...... last night was a good shop night... While I had the front metal at 80%.... My brother in Law (Jeff) and my good friend Terry came over ,got the sheet metal to fit very well... and fit the hood.Having 3 guys doing this made it a breeze.
    I will admit I was a bit nervous.. because these hoods can be a real PIA.
    But after 30 minutes....the hood was on and fit so well.
    I mentioned earlier about using a 59 Ford hood latch earlier. Wow.. they are so much better than a stock unit..... a 2 finger close!.... I think I was more happy about that than anything.
    So. yea. very fun and productive garage night....
    A couple more visuals.....

IMG_2997.jpeg IMG_2986.jpeg

alfin32, Okie Pete, Squablow and 16 others like this.
  6. Getting the front tin on my car took 2 of us to get it right. I just loosened everything, test fit the hood and jockeyed everything around until it was perfect. I took the hood off 2 years later to wire the electric fan and fix the rust on the hood. But drilled some 3/16" holes through the hinges while it was together. It made putting the hood back on a 5 minute task.

Hamtown Al, Okie Pete, belair and 5 others like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@bobss396 ....Yes. that is a very good Idea.I will certainly do just that this week... it will make life a heck of lot easier.

8. Yep, I learned the trick about drilling small holes through hinges to pin them about 30 years ago when I worked for a custom paint and body guy. We spent quite a bit of time (hours and hours) adjusting the doors on a mid-year vette coupe and once we finally got it perfect, we drilled holes so we could blow it apart and get it back together after paint. I have been doing that with adjustable body panels ever since.

9. what is that stray wire i see? might wanna look at that. also, is it just me or is part of the front sheet metal missing...

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming together nicely Jeff...the open road inching closer by the day...nice playground too...oh yeah...the shoes do fit the ole beast in a handsome way as well...

Perfect time for some extra hands too...

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Uhh..... dude, the car is being wired at the same time.... just wiring that is hanging for the front lights and turn signals.
    all is fine... thanks.

Okie Pete, flatout51, ottoman and 7 others like this.
  12. As a few other guys have said, that car has the perfect “patina” or wear on the paint. It just looks badass sitting there.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  13. Who's putting the glass in?

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Great hood/fender/door alignment, nice grille, standing on new rubber, and you noticed a stray wire????:confused::)

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@wfo guy

Well.. after I get the headliner in first,...I will put the front and rear glass with the help of my buddy Tom the painter. I have new cut side glass for the car as well..... but none of that will happen for a while yet. I believe I will be using the rope trick.. with the stainless all attached.

Okie Pete, Stogy, hrm2k and 3 others like this.
  16. A spray bottle of soap and water will help ease the pain as well !!

17. ahh, that makes sense, with how these cars are it looks to be a pain to line up all the panels.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  18. Jeff, I hope the painter is a miracle worker. Curved glass is the only thing I haven't done on my projects my whole life. I have no help and they're easy to break. In case you are unaware, start at the bottom pulling the rope. Gravity will help you. :) Best wishes.

19. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I must admit I've more than once considered making my hood rear hinged. The front hinge 57-59 Ford hood makes it tough to do much w/o removing the hood and then the 2 person job of putting it back.

20. Sorry to ask a dumb question but can someone explain the 'drilling a hole on the hinge' to me. I think I understand just want to make sure.

Mike

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Mike. when you have a part aligned and set... (such as a hood or possibly a door)... drill a small pilot hole through the 2 connected parts..... then when you take it apart to paint,.... you then line up the small holes and get the exact fitment of the 2 parts going back together .. such as after you have paint the parts.

22. Got it. It is what I was thinking about. How and where did you drill for the hood alignment? Just through the rad support or through the hinge itself as well.

Mike

Stogy, guthriesmith and Jeff Norwell like this.
  23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I didn't....... @bobss396 mentioned it..... I just used 2 friends and we fitted the hood through trial and error...which we had Lady Luck Smiling down upon us....(Or Henry Ford)

But the technique is very good.

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

AND..... @guthriesmith ... he has pointed this out as well.... (post #908,... My Bad Jeff)

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would have been nice if they would have added that nice feature the Mopar pickups like @57 Fargo have front or rear open...that would have meant a bunch more scratching heads in the design department though...would be tough to reach up to close it too...

I wonder if the tilt forward was a safety deal for the accidental opening situation we read about every once and a while...

26. SS327

SS327

I just always used a scratch awl to outline the hinges or whatever. This way if you had to replace a hinge or something later on it was easy.

Jeff Norwell, guthriesmith and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess these remedies are only good for the same hood and hinges. As soon as you change either the recipe has been altered as no two are alike I'm ass...uming...:)

28. SS327

SS327

They always seemed to be the same. Hood or door. If you just droll the hole you loose the hole if you end up having to replace the hinge then it’s back to square one.

29. I first did it with the doors in 2015 before I painted them and the jambs. I went 3/16" since I had a bunch of appropriate drill blanks that size. Anything skinnier may bend under the weight of a door.

30. flatout51

flatout51

There doesn't seem to be headlights in there either. Might check on that too.

SS327, Jeff Norwell and guthriesmith like this.