Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stolen Car Alert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Sep 12, 2022.

1. I’ll be on the lookout at Hershey.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. For the last 6 years, we've lived with mostly cows for neighbors, but more people are moving into the area and traffic is getting heavier. I have a new hard-wired 4 camera system that I got for another place we lived at but didn't install because of an impending move. The recorder, the part of the system I don't have and the most expensive, is going to be a necessity. I'd like to use this system in the unattached garage but, I'm going to have to check the compatibility of my existing system with a wireless recorder that I'd put in the house. Never thought I'd ever come to this point. :( :mad:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

You and I both. (Come to this point). I grew up on the road I live on now. My folks never locked the door. Used to be a dead end road, but a subdivision was built in the 80’s and it’s got an entry/exit to this road.
    Random vandalism with busted car windows, etc and some break ins are getting more common.
    Sign of the damn times I guess.

4. I recently bought the Ring system and all your videos can be saved. They give you 30 days free and then you can sign up for a nominal fee. I believe it’s about $30 a year. If you opt out you still get alerts and live views but nothing is saved. I’m still getting used to it but it seems to work great.

5. twenty8

twenty8

Yes, the human race seems to be coming along in leaps and bounds lately............. not.o_O

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  6. GTS225

GTS225

It's great to see a video of the perp's tow vehicle. The problem now is getting law enforcement to actually do anything remotely similar to what "Hot Rods Ta Hell" itterated. They need to do some real detective work and find the..........."bipeds" that did this, and throw them in lockup for grand theft, and maybe blow an organized ring completely to hell.

Roger

7. SDS

SDS

The guy who posted's avatar said Tucson AZ, all kinds of crime there where they slip across the border.

49ratfink likes this.
  8. SDS

SDS

When I lived in LA, had some friends in Thousand Oaks that got their 57 Bel-Air stolen out of their garage while they were sleeping. Bad guys quietly opened the garage door, backed a trailer up, greased the rear wheels, driveway & trailer...then slid it onto the trailer - gone forever.

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. When you pull in my driveway, which is around 800 feet long? The driveway alert rings in my house and in my shop, and as you approach the structures on my property, motion lights start going off in sequence. Open a door, any door, I dare ya! When the alarm sounds, I hope you can run faster than me. Oh yeah, Moultrie game camera took a picture of your car from the rear as you came through my gate, I've got the license plate number. Wanna play on my property? Why don't you fuck around and find out.

10. I can tell you about our outside cameras that record to the DVR, we have it set for 24/7 recording. You can also set it to only record when movement is detected. I can't tell you for sure exactly how many days gets recorded (on our machine) before it is looped over but I know for a fact it is a LOT longer than 7 days. It all depends on the capacity/memory capability of your DVR unit. Once an "event" is found, you can/must download the "event" to your laptop/computer and save it to your computers hard drive or put it on a USB key. My DVR system is probably 5-6 years old now so I am betting there are a lot of much more advanced units out there now.

With the Google Nest cameras (which we just bought a couple of weeks back), I am a little unsure at the moment but my understanding is that without paying for a service, the cameras will retain the recorded event for something like 3 hours as well as contacting the phone. I assume there is a way to save to your phone before the 3 hours is up. Far a small fee of something like $8 a month (here in Canada), I believe the events are recorded to "the cloud" which supposedly means it is never lost. We haven't signed up for the monthly service yet but we will be shortly. As it stands right now though, the wife is instantly contacted when the cameras are on and movement has been detected, at which point we will be able to view the cause of detected movement and can then immediately call the police if warranted. The interesting thing about the Google Nest cameras is, when they are on and we return home, he phone dings "person seen in kitchen area". These cameras are so smart they can tell what it is they are looking at.

I have a dashcam in my car (automatically turns on when I start the car and off when I turn off the car) and it records in increments of something like 5 minutes at a time for many 5 minute segments (with a second or two between increments). Once the memory is full (and the memory capacity is determined by the size of the memory card you install in the camera) it records over the first 5 minute segment, then over the second 5 minute segment etc etc. In this case, once an "event" is recorded, you must turn off the camera or risk it being recorded over.

So to answer your question, in the case of our DVR, an event will be recorded over if not downloaded off the DVR but, in my case, I have a lot longer than a week to get to it. Also, our DVR camera system can be viewed remotely from a smart phone but it will only show us what is happening in real time, it might show us that someone had broken in but it won't show us the recording of the break-in, however, once home we would be able to access the DVR and "rewind" to the time of the break-in, then download the footage. In the case of Google Nest, my understanding is, when using their service you have to pay for, the event is recorded to "the cloud" which means (again, as I understand it) the "event" is available indefinitely. All that being said, if the thief enters your building then locates and steals your DVR, you are left with nothing where the Google images are stored off-site.

My DVR does not contact me so if something happens when we are at the cottage, we don't find out until we are home. With the Google Nest cameras, we (the wife) will be contacted instantly that someone is in our home.

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. So sorry to hear of this, Don. For what it's worth I'll be watching for the cars in my area. dondillardsAonsalt.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 40two like this.
  12. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Check with the RCMP? You're injecting sarcasm/humor here?
    30+ years ago I had my restored '48 Harley Panhead stolen from my work place. The RC's took 2 photos I had taken of it, kept them for 10 years and jack shit else to solve it

13. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Don's a good friend, and I think all HAMBER's should be vigilant, let's keep our eyes open and be on the look-out.
    I think it would be very helpful to look for parts that may have come any off these cars, when you are attending a swap-meet, looking on Craig's List, or Offer-Up too!
    Thank you all for looking out!
    Jim aka "Sanford & Son"
    see something, say something!
    upload_2022-9-19_12-57-32.jpeg

14. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I’m in! I could use a little excitement!

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  15. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Isn’t it very possible it could be someone trolling this very website? I certainly hope not. If so, a lot of you all are giving thieves some important information that could help them in removing your stuff. This in my opinion is the problem with social media etc. too much personal info for bad guys to get a hold of and use against you. For instance, a pic of your pride and joy in front of your house. Blow the pic up, you got a house number. I like Flathead Freddie’s idea. No one knows where my shit is. Hope you get your stuff back Don!

16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dammit, Lloyd! I do admire your subtlety! ;)

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very true. there was popular poster here who posted pics of his builds and his cool shop full of valuable parts and automobilia all the time. all I knew was the city, and one picture showed big sign for a store over the back fence. had his location narrowed down from Google maps in about 3 minutes. it doesn't take much.

lucky for him I just do these things for shits and giggles. I used to have a lot of spare time at work, I would search old photos on "Shorpie" which shows vintage pictures from allover the country. if there were street names or other landmarks I'd search google maps to see what was there now.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

...patiently waiting for some fool to break into my shop. I live there.;)

19. I'll be going to both of them (EV8 and T) and when I'm out and about I'll be looking.

20. They have one's that use AI technology and can "see" only humans. The cheaper ones (as in price not quality) only use AI during the day (with color) and black an white at night, with night vison, the higher end ones are AI and color all the time in 4k. All without a service fee and to your phone.

Sadly around here that truck blends in everywhere......but the cars taken won't.

21. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I don't always agree with Moriarity's definition of what's traditional and what's not but I really like what he said about no tolerance for political posts. I couldn't agree more. There is a popular traditional engine site that has a lot of good information but has just about turned into a political forum with more posts about politics than car stuff.

65pacecar and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Politics like religion, best discussed with people of your own faith. Not here

harpo1313 and 65pacecar like this.
  23. We just had a spate of catalytic converters stolen locally, all OT cars of course. I installed a driveway alarm a few weeks ago that alerts me if people are sneaking around. No hits so far and the security lights have not been tripped. Yes, it does work. My main motion detector over the garage door croaked, I just got a new one and will install it today.

I have an alarm system on everything and signs in the yard and on some windows. Crooks avoid these houses. Next will be a Ring type camera or 2.

24. DRD57

DRD57

I just got a call from the CHP. My car has been recovered and is on it’s way to a tow yard. More info as I get it.

25. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

26. Indeed, now just find the perpetrators, lock them in a room with no windows and lose the key.

27. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Finally some good news on a recovery. Now let's see what shape it is in and if the thief will be held accountable.

65pacecar and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  28. Nobey

Nobey

That's great news Don, sounds like it's still in California.....