Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Up in smoke ~ Hot Rod burnouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 15, 2020.

1. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To add to the fiscal pain of showing off, this year at Rod Run (Longbeach, WA) the police were impounding cars doing burn outs. So in addition to the $550 Negligent Driving ticket, you also get a towing bill, impound fee and you get to pay for an extra night at the hotel so you can get your car back at court on Monday.

There's a time and a place. Burn em with care.

deadbeat, wicarnut, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. People just don't learn! Everyone knows the danger of burnouts in public areas, but they continue to do it. I'm glad Long Beach PD is enforcing the ordinance; we sure don't need injuries and deaths because someone wants to look cool and show off!

4. Fogger

Fogger

I quit street racing back in the '60s when the LAPD started arresting the racers and impounding their cars. They also arrested many of the observers. At that time there were outlaw tow trucks that would strip the cars of the speed equipment prior to delivering them to the impound yard. There is a place for burnouts and that's at a drag strip.

5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

6. When I lived in San Francisco out in front of my place. Ol 55 with L-88, 4-speed. Nothing like stinking up your own back yard, lol. Stripes_0001.jpg 55.jpg

J.Ukrop, wicarnut, slayer and 7 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The car is just as amazing sitting still!

deadbeat, Deuces and Kelly Burns like this.
  8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

With 500+hp in a 2000lb car I am guilty your honor!!!!!.............

deadbeat, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I agree!

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

As a rule, I don't go around beating the hell out of my car. But rules do occasionally get broken. :) I've done exactly one big smokey burnout with it and I'm glad it was recorded. All good fun.

https://youtube.com/shorts/XvjAR9cHrpw

54delray and swade41 like this.
  11. Blake 27

Blake 27

Me in my mind and in photo shop! Burn Out on Main Street.jpg

deadbeat, Cooon, slayer and 4 others like this.
  12. AHotRod

AHotRod

My Coupe .....

158.jpg

deadbeat, slayer and Deuces like this.
  13. Some older guys are young at heart, build their cars for performance and enjoy putting the fruits of their labor through it's paces.

Some older guys are just fuddy duddies

AHotRod, slayer, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  14. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

17. Besty34

Besty34

18. Dad in the coupe at Ghost Rods drags WIR, end me in the coupe at Out-A-Sight drags. IMG_20220618_155759086.jpg 20253.jpg

Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  19. Two that instantly come to mind.
    Bob Bleed

Tuck

Deuces and AHotRod like this.
  20. I have worked hard to make my car hook up. I can spin the tires but it slows me down.

Deuces, seb fontana and LOST ANGEL like this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Where we live the long arm of the law seems to always be around the corner so you have to be veeeeeery choosy where you have a little fun. I'll mostly chirp em and a little longer tire spin off a light but not too many big ones anymore. With the 409 and bias plys we could easily put on a show. I do appreciate the guys running like the nostalgia funny cars who will do half track burnouts like the old days.

jimpopper likes this.
  22. Never ceases to amaze me how you can get a ticket or even get your car impounded if the engine is smoking but nobody ever complains about a bunch of guys burning tires in the street.

23. You’re being sarcastic, aren’t you? Lol

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

The Burn Out box at some car shows I don't understand, you lock front brakes and burn the tire/tires till the tire explodes, proves nothing, sometimes damages body panels. It seems to be popular with younger generation, the burn down box at Sturgess motorcycle event, beautiful bikes, custom paint/etc and blow tire up and damage fenders/bags, how much beer does it take to get that stupid ? Hazing the tire going fast or warming up a drag type tire for launch has a purpose, I get that, but as always to each their own as the farmer hugged his cow. AND as kid might have done a few showing off but it was never was my thing, going fast was my thing.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

We all had that one "friend" mine was Crazy Dave, we were cruisin Wisconsin ave. a Huge Saturday evening event back in the 60's. I rode with him in his brand new 1965 GTO tri-carb, 4 speed car, I left mine at home that night to ride in his new car, he just got the car on Friday. So........... A few passes up/down and we're sitting at the light, picture this, bumper to bumper traffic, took 30-45 minutes for a 20 block lap, 10 up.10 down, crowds on sidewalks, beat cop every block, it was a happening, at every stop light the crowd was chanting, " "Light em up" I saw the gleam in his eyes and told Dave, Don't do it, So the light goes green, huge smokey maybe 100 foot burnout, slide to a stop almost hitting traffic in front of us. The crowd was cheering as the beat cop walks over and Said, "ARE You Really that F**king Dumb" and The rest of the story, Dave drivers license was revoked, he goes directly to jail and I had my license, just got off a suspension, the police let me take his car home, his Dad was not happy. similar type events, I took his car home 3 times that year, all with his GTO, after the third time I never rode with him again. I'll never forget when bringing GTO home the last time, His Mom answers the door, turns and yells, Henry ! It's for you, your dumbass son is in trouble again, He looks at me and states, " That G*dD*m Kid, His brains must have ran down his Mother's legs" I had no reply for this and then Henry ( a good guy, a Hot Rodder and and old stock car racer) gave me a ride home, bitching the whole time. One of the funniest/best memories, Cruisin the ave. the cars full the girls cruisin in Dad's/Moms's car would moon you, hilarious, even made the beat cops laugh and shake their head. The Memories, Priceless !

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    Deuces, jeepster and AHotRod like this.
  26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not a fan of the staged burnout exhibitions............dumb on dumb

However, no talk about burnouts would be complete without Wild Willie Borsh!

And yes, as long as the kid inside of me lives I want some moderate tirespin available..........:D

27. Credit needs to be given to the late Mike Boyd for the entire second video and parts pf the first.

Deuces and Chili Phil like this.
  28. jimpopper

jimpopper

I enjoy an occasional burnout whether giving or receiving. I avoid crowds and traffic for safety but being from Pennsylvania, an icy road is more dangerous frankly. I've gotten a ticket for my engine stumbling and catching after idling 20 minutes in traffic getting off of a boardwalk car show. I never went back. Why build fast cars and never in private enjoy their performance?

ekimneirbo likes this.
  29. You THINK you’re like John Force doing a half track burn out but you’re more like the squids in their mom’s Civic, spinning donuts.