Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear end housing narrowing in nor cal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57chevymadman, Sep 7, 2022.

1. I'm gathering parts for a Dana 60 install in my 57 chevy, who does housing narrowing in nor cal?
    Thanks!

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Alston in Sacto.

3. Called them, only deal with new housings, I have a core housing

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Single-float, or full-float?

Where in Nor-Cal are you?

Some claim that starts in Bakersfield, and runs to Oregon.

5. Sacramento, the Dana 60 is now a truck full float that will be converted using moser 12 bolt 3.150 big bearing housing ends. I need it narrowed with leaf spring perches.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can almost guarantee to you that if you have the leaf spring perches put on during the narrowing process, they will be at the incorrect angle.

Customarily they are put on when the entire car is assembled, and the full weight of the vehicle is on the suspension.

The crank centerline and the pinion centerline should be parallel.

Unless you have access to a ton of data, and have a very powerful CAD computer, this would be a stretch.

Randall and Johnny Gee like this.
  7. I always have the pinion angle figured out before anything is welded

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Sounds like you already have the D60 housing, but it will cost a fair amount to set it up, and you still have a Dana. You might consider one of the premade 9" assemblies, there are some interesting setups available. I do have one, and local, that I was saving for my 65 Comet, but I also have a MW 40 spline the same width, so I might consider selling. Was said to have come from a 65 Nova that suffered an engine compartment/ dash fire and was parted out. Nice setup, 48" wide, Strange N case, 35 spline axles and brakes, Detroit Locker, 4.30 gears and ladder bar setup. If interested, send me a PM

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sure sounds like a deal!

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would need to check my housing end pucks. I honestly cannot remember what I have, but I have a bunch.

I for sure have D60 carrier pucks, as I used to build them for the 4 ex 4 crowd.

I will check when I am back to the shop.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. Thanks for the offer Gene, I will need the housing at 56" and just leaf spring perches

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Try Currie- and others- they have a variety of widths, and IIRC there are bolt-in units for 55-57 Chebbies

13. Call Rock hound off road ,and fabrication in Auburn. 530-913-6697. Their online ad says they custom build axles.

14. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Give Miles a call @ Valley Differential in Stockton.

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try River City Differentials in Rancho Cordova. Shaun does excellent work.