Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wisconsin boneyards?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, Sep 7, 2022.

1. any yards in southern Wisconsin that may have parts for 56 DeSoto 2 door hardtop,...friend needs trim, chrome parts...etc.

Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Most yards that I used to frequent are either picked over or have crushed out, mostly the later. There is a yard up by Camp McCoy north of Mauston owned by a guy name Carl Chase. he has a lot of stuff up there but is really hard to deal with and if he decides he doesn't like you right off he will just throw you out instantly. Never had a problem with him myself, but you never knew what kind of mood he would be in, so I stop going up there a number of years ago. Elmers up in Fountain City Has a lot of old stuff. The Yard has been there forever. does a lot of late model stuff but I think they still sell stuff from the old yard to. It also was home to Elmers Auto and Toy Museum, but that is being auctioned off this next week through Mecum. Best of luck with the hunt and if you find any hidden treasure yards let us know! Larry

chryslerfan55, Squablow and Chucky like this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

:rolleyes: the old yards that still have stuff, owners can be temperamental, for sure. I recall a yard my father got access to 20 years ago, took 6 trips to get "familiar" before he got in. Took me the next time and the owner almost didn't let us in, because I came along.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. There's an old yard on Hiway 42/57 just north of Sturgeon Bay, across from the Mill Supper Club. Don't remember the name though.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Zeb's Auto Salvage. N3181 Bernitt Rd, Tigerton, WI 54486. 715-754-5885
    Thursday Closed
    Friday Closed
    Saturday 8 AM–12 PM
    Sunday Closed
    Monday 8 AM–4:30 PM
    Tuesday 8 AM–4:30 PM
    Wednesday 8 AM–4:30 PM. Still has a website and FB page

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  6. C&W Auto sales,and Salvage. The Mill served a nice chicken supper too.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  7. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your so inclined try French Lake Auto Parts, just on the north side of Mpls.

8. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Tisler Auto Salvage
    11530 County Rd NN.
    Reedsville Wi 54230
    920-732-3669

9. Thank you guys, very much appreciated...

10. Squablow

Squablow

I was just at Zebs yesterday. Still a fair amount of old stuff in there but he's planning on being cleaned out and done by this winter, so if you want to go, go soon. Good guy to deal with, just call ahead. Didn't notice any 55-56 DeSotos or Chryslers there when I was there. There was a '55 Dodge 2 door hardtop but I don't think anything interchanges with the Dodge.

I was at Tislers about 2 weeks ago. I know there was a '55 DeSoto in there, I believe a 4 door sedan, no engine and no grille but other stuff might still be on it, was a long time since I looked at that car in particular. A few other mid 50's Mopars in there, too. They typically don't let people pull parts in the yard anymore, but I've found if you go to the office, tell them what you're looking for, and let them know you are only interested in the real old stuff, then it's OK. Prices are very reasonable, and better if you buy a big pile of stuff.

Manthey's in Mauston might have more of what you're looking for, the old car part of the yard is run by a neighbor of the yard named Bob, he's a member here but I can't think of his HAMB name. If you can get ahold of Bob and ask directly he'll know for sure what they have and don't have. PM me if you want his phone number, I'm pretty sure I have it.

I've been able to buy stuff from Carl Chase and got along with him fine, his prices are on the higher end but worth it if it's something you really need. Best is to come there when it's convenient for him. Be extra polite and patient, make sure every door and hood is closed whether it was you that opened it or not, ask before you pull anything, and any price negotiations go up from the first price you offer, never down. The yard is enormous and has a lot of cars that aren't super picked over in it.

There's also Carl Newhouse near Elkhart Lake. Super nice guy, really really good prices. Anything you find there that you might possibly use is worth getting, because the prices are good. Very friendly.

I know of 5 Wisconsin junkyards that have closed completely or are in the midst of it right now as of this year. Don't wait around too much, go get while there's something left to get.

11. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

At C&W Auto sales & Salvage, I am told that Nobody gets in the yard.

12. thanks for all this info.

13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jack’s Auto Ranch by Watertown still around?

14. I just heard Jack's is on the verge of getting crushed out,...Jack has passed on, the other guy quit running the place, two sons of Jack are fighting over what to do, lawyers involved, sounds like it's the end for Jack's.
    Hope they have an open house or an auction before the crusher shows up, still lots of good stuff in there. upload_2022-9-9_4-26-30.jpeg upload_2022-9-9_4-27-19.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    Phillips and Squablow like this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

I've heard the same rumor about Jacks. If there's any chance at all to get back in there before it's gone, I'll get there. Some really good shit left. I bought a fair amount the one time I got in there but I haven't had nearly enough time to pick that place clean.

16. I wish someone near Jacks could find out what their plan is, and suggest a few weeks of open house before they crush everything...

Squablow likes this.
  17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The sad part about places like Jacks in that situation is that the crusher price per pound is going to be a lot more appealing than dealing with part pickers and the inevitable "Well you're just going to crush it anyways!" price hunters. A yard over by Rio use to have all kinds of old stuff. about 20 years ago he called me at my shop and said if there is anything you want in parts or cars get over here because I am crushing out the old stuff end of the month. I hauled out three tri 5s and a 41 Pontiac coupe. 200 bucks a piece. took them back to the shop and parted everything I wanted and haul the hulks back and left them by the crusher. I was one of the few guys he called. He said the land was worth more with late models on it and he was sick of people loading up their toolboxes and nickel and diming him on every part. Besides especially now days the liability on people wandering around out in a yard is astronomical. And don't even mention signing a waiver, because any halfass lawyer will ball it up like the butt wipe it is. Time goes on so take advantage of these places while we can. Larry

18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I suspect that things between the brothers will be tied up in court for some time so things may move slowly. In the meantime, things get overgrown, roofs get compromised & things tend to walk off...
    Chances of a happy ending diminish.

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Years ago I was told of a very good yard in WI, called "Sugarbowl". Couldn't get the exact location, as "everyone knew where it was"... Not me, nor anyone I talked to. Supposedly, it was in a bowl-like setting hidden in the hills, & the owner was decent to deal with.
    Anyone ever heard of this place, what it's real name was/is, & where it was/is? Had forgotten about it until this thread. Still curious about it...
    Marcus...

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Call Bob Owens in Wellington,Texas,,,FLAT TOP BOB...Owens salvage..800-798-2581

Bob's a HAMB'r and they have a bunch of old stuff, might have what you are looking for and will treat you right.
    @FLAT-TOP BOB

Owens salvage
    800-798-2581 -- [email protected]
    806-447-2581
    3725 us hwy 83 s
    Wellington texas 79095

Family owned since 1964

Selling all makes and models of quality used auto parts around the world.
    call or email anytime we might be able to help you. we even look for the small stuff!

21. thanks for the updates guys.

22. anyone hear any news about Jack's

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Maybe Jack's still has a working phone. Glad someone mentioned RIO. I recall a lot more yards in the late 60's and 70's. There was one north of West Bend that had a lot of stuff. They had a Kaiser Darrin.There was a '32 Ford roadster pickup too.