Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs OK guys lets try to find the Exodus Cushenbery built 59 Chevy last known to be in Fresno Calif

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No longer 56 - 63 California plate. Looks like a New York plate from my phones screen?

jimmy six and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

this car spent most of the sixties and seventies in Hawaii....

3. Yeah looks like a '69-75 Hawaiian plate, yellow and black, a number then a letter then 4 numbers.

hrm2k, 54delray, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

That almost looks like an older Minnesota plate.

Toms Dogs and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. I might just drive down to Hawaii and look for it.

6. Pressing my thumbs for you Mark, hopefully it is still somewhere waiting for you ;)

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he may has shed some light on that elsewhere...

Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

images (26).jpeg

:rolleyes:...How much further Anthony?...:p

Exodus is a great name for this elusive ride...

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If it's indeed still in Hawaii, maybe @Ryan can sniff it out on one of his trips over there.

54delray, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm the Golden Sahara and Kookie 111 come to mind...lifes like that...

54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Love that car! You'd be the perfect caretaker for it Mark!!!
    I find it hard to believe it was scrapped - unless it sat outdoors for a decade or two in Hawaii and rotted away.
    Agree with Bamamav that maybe Ryan (or other Hawaiian HAMBer) has some island contacts that could grapevine to confirm whether or not it actually was sold/moved to the mainland. If it was moved to the mainland that would indicate it was restorable, otherwise a buyer wouldn't step up to significant cost to ship it.
    If you were to track down a past owner from the 70's, maybe you could trace the ownership path going forward towards present time and also confirm if it left the island...
    Giving up one of your cars would be tough, but the return would be seed money for all that expensive paint, interior etc., the Exodus would need.
    The other option would be to sell your place, buy a nice, small home on some property and put up a huge steel shop. Maybe a "barndominium"???

41 GMC K-18 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. fuzzface

fuzzface

supposedly it came back to the mainland and was owned by a Harold Olsen from Carmel Ca. in 1984 and he was going to have it restored. many years later it was supposedly was going to be done by the Custom Clinic which went belly up before it happened. Other internet gossip claims it was spotted in Fresno Ca. in 2013 and then the other rumor mentioned about it finally getting cut up and disposed/buried.

just remember this is all internet stories/rumors and I have no physical eyesight of it myself or have any other proof if these claims are true over the years.

54delray, Sancho, Tim and 2 others like this.
  13. Appears recent to me. Looks like there is Mig welder on a cart next to the gas bottle at the rear of the car.

14. If it's in California's DMV system as a 59 Chevy ...

15. Super cool custom !

that front end while being extreme , simply works ! The entire cars flows very well .

good luck in your quest .

If ya need room , depending ….. Miss Elegance could always find a home in my garage .

I’d even let you keep a set of keys to her so you could come up n take her out for dinner once in a while ……. Just saying :)

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Appears recent to me. Looks like there is Mig welder on a cart next to the gas bottle at the rear of the car."

that picture if my memory serves right was when it was supposedly at Custom Clinic or right before it got taken there like 8-10 years ago but they folded up before they did their online documentary of the restoration that they were planning. I tried to find the info again from a few years ago but seem some stuff has been scrubbed off the internet or at least harder to find. That is the newest picture I have ever seen of it. seems like it disappeared after that shop closed.

I tried to find info on that shop a few years ago and never came up with anything past like 2014 and now when I looked, I cannot find no info at all about a shop ever called custom clinic.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

There's a Hamb member who has something to do with the Tulare swap meet. You could see what connections he might have.

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Is it @Sanford&Son?

Sancho and Stogy like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes I think so.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  21. SS327

SS327

Wasn’t that car in one of the Barris books? I thought he did some work on it too? Good luck Mark.

22. Anyone knows what happens to the custom clinic ?

I found an article written in French that discussed this car and said the car was at the custom clinic for a full restoration.

can’t find any info on the shop , but if someone was considering spending money back then I can’t see this thing being cut up or wasted away since .

That last pic shows it still complete and in one piece so I have high hopes it’s squirrelled away in a shop or garage somewhere .

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Maybe custom clinic is the French way of saying custom body shop like the British call fenders "wings.

Either way, this hunt is exciting to me. To find a lost classic has got to get anyone energized. @Moriarity is the perfect guy to take conservatorship. I have relatives in Taft and have asked them to visit shops in the area. I think that if the car exists, a HAMB'r will find it.

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never seen this one, pics or otherwise but that grille mesh material reminds me of the metallic speaker cloth used over the speaker on a old juke box. I have restored many of them and have often wondered about this treatment. Beats drawer pulls.
    upload_2022-9-4_10-57-3.png

25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Hopefully it did not get caught up in the shops demise, A shop up north that specialized in Mustangs got into deep shit with the IRS and people didn't know. Agents came in took possession of everything and it was all auctioned off including customers cars, and they did not care what parts went with what cars. What did not sell the scrappers had a field day with. IRS didn't care they just wanted whatever they could get to satisfy the amount due. Might account for the stories of it being scraped. Hopefully it is still out there, and Mark gets a chance to get warm and fuzzy with it! lol Larry

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. fuzzface

fuzzface

Going off of my fuzzy memory the custom clinic I thought was originally called custom car clinic and ccc for short that I believe they were trying to push at that time. But they know sooner got started and got into trouble over the name rights/abbreviation whatever that is called (copyright something) and that is when they tried to shorten it to custom clinic but I think other issues came up. They weren't around very long but thought doing a build documentation of the exodus online was going to make them famous but it never happened because they got into some legal battles first. .

the copyright problem is maybe why nothing is online anymore about them? don't know but glad someone else found some correlation between custom clinic and the Exodus. I was starting to think I was oh nevermind.

27. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Mark Gustavson had the Custom Car Clinic/Custom Clinic. He was into Customs and an author of a scale models book. He is mentioned on here several times......Bob K (RIP) was looking for contact info on him in 2014.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mark-s-gustavson.856275/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/does-anyone-have-any-knowledge-of-this-car.33252/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1950s-period-car-show-display-signs.434077/

He runs a model car museum in Utah. Site with phone number:
    http://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/page8.html

Long shot....but maybe something.

chryslerfan55, seb fontana and blowby like this.
  28. Sunday, 7:23pm , we’re currently on the hunt for a long lost custom, last known location was a custom shop somewhere in the United States. My name is Chryslerfan55, I help with hunting customs.

WC145 and SS327 like this.
  29. Not familiar with that car. I did see the Silhouette in a paint stripping shop in Bakersfield circa 1975 on Chester and 35th. Was in terribler shape, lime green paint. Found this photo of the car in that condition several years ago on the internet. That is Bakersfield backgeound so was taken around the time I saw it.
    silhouette green.jpg

30. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I think I remember reading about it on facebook a real long time ago and it was for sale at shop next to Arlen Ness's Motorcycle shop.

chryslerfan55 likes this.