Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 7mm versus 8mm spark plug wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mwhistle, Sep 9, 2018.

1. We use KILLoMETER

alanp561, SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just put a set of 8.8 mm Accel plug wires on my car. Thought I had bought 8 mm, misread the ebay ad, they were a tight fit in my holders, but worked. I could feel the difference the first time I drove it, no more miss fires, but that was probably only because the set of wires I had on it were the best looking ones from two different old sets and were who knows how old. The new plugs probably made a big difference, too!

TrailerTrashToo, alanp561 and RICH B like this.
  3. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Damn. I'd heard everything is bigger in Texas, but them is some big bugs if you need a KilloMETER to measure them in Maryland :eek::D

Cheers,
    Harv

alanp561 and wraymen like this.
  4. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

why do I want some mm’s now?

alanp561, SS327 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  5. MM are used in every Country EXCEPT the United States and Myanmar. Myanmar is a very Third World nation.

I wonder who is out of step with the rest of the World.

6. Peanut Butter M&M’s please

mrspeedyt likes this.
  7. They just appear bigger….small State.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Ruger makes a 9mm, used to be a US company.
    I’ve grown up with inches, feet, yards etc. it works, I see no reason to change.

9. I'm reminded of a song from South Park.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screenshot (374).png
    Haven't measured any M&Ms lately but have to beleve even with all the nonsense going on they are bigger than .039 in diameter.

Bandit Billy, SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  11. SS327

SS327

The rest of the world is out of step with us. So Burma is advanced in their use of math like us Americans. When will the rest of the world catch up is the question.

WalkerMD, RICH B and Budget36 like this.
  12. You forgot about Liberia.;) That's the third and only other country in the US camp.
    I guess after inheriting it from the British you're very reluctant to move on...even though they did.:D

13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

mms are used here too, and have been for years. Flat head Fords with 18mm spark plugs and 7 mm plug wire. Model As with metric wheel bearings, and metric king pins. 1" tape is actually 25mm. There is much more too.

14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Funny that a lot of old fashioned, obsolete technology is popular in our hobby.

The main reason that everyone else converted to that French system of measurements is because they were forced to. We're supposed to use it here too, but most of the drawings I get as a machinist are still in good old English units.

firstinsteele likes this.
  15. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

They should fit you may need to silicon them up to slide in. When I installed a pertronix unit I switched to 8mm non-solid wires. I just drilled the cap out.

16. Model A kingpins are 13/16". Just saying.

17. southerncad

southerncad

OK, saw it my Bad....

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But which of the measuring systems is "traditional"?

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

back before retirement when i still had a job,
    i ran layout crews for commercial construction.
    some of the guys in the field prefered to run their survey equipment using metric units for increased accuracy,
    most used decimal feet,
    but they all had to be converted to inch feet for the various trades.

my daily driver, a twenty year old american made pickup,
    has both metric and sae fasteners from the factory

as for plug wires, anything other than 7mm just looks wrong.

Moriarity and alanp561 like this.
  20. Most of the world uses millimeters because England invaded most of the world and forced them at gunpoint to use millimeters. :eek:
    They also tried to make everybody drive on the wrong side of the road but they were a little less successful at that. :cool:

leftside.jpg

SS327 likes this.
  21. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Well... Some imperial measurments are based on objects on the earth (such as somebodys foot), mostly relatively young reference objects compared to earth itself. Other imperial measurments seem to be based on somebody throwing dice while being drunk.

The meter, on the other hand, is directly based off the size of the earth, so it predates everything that has evolved on earth - the earth existed long before anything evolved on it. Therefore metric is more traditional than imperial. :D

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metric is easy if you just get a metric ruler. I may have mentioned some time ago about a maintenance shop I worked in. The company was buying four feet wide (approximately) material blower fans that ran abrasive material through them that wore out fairly rapidly. They were getting them from a company in Belgium and they were all metric. I suggested that we cut the hubs out of the old ones and make our own blowers. The other guys in the shop threw all kinds of objections to that stating it would be too hard to convert all the measurements on the drawings to feet and inches. I went to a local office supply and bought a meter long ruler and just used the drawings as they were. Saved the company a lot of money. Never got a thank you or a nickel out of it.

SS327 likes this.
  23. gatz

gatz

^^ once had a job for local company that had imported German machinery. They sent over prints of an additional mechanism designed by the same German company that was all metric and wanted it made with US "standard" steel parts/material, yet keep the same basic design and function. It had to fit the existing larger piece of equipment; i.e "bolt-on" That was a challenge to say the least. Lots of close conversions, but nothing exact. Took a while

alanp561 likes this.
  24. that's what you say if the pie is mediocre. If its really good you say, MMMMMmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn

It may vary from one brand to the next but the difference is normally thicker insulation.

alanp561 likes this.
  25. [QUOTE="G-son, post: 14595975, member: 206570")

The meter, on the other hand, is directly based off the size of the earth, so it predates everything that has evolved on earth - the earth existed long before anything evolved on it. Therefore metric is more traditional than imperial. :D[/QUOTE]

I thought the meter was based on the distance between your average Frenchman’s hands when raised above his head surrendering.(I’m part French so……sue me) :)

SS327 and G-son like this.
  26. I thought England still uses it for some things.
    “Despite predominantly using Metric measurements, in the UK we still do use elements of Imperial measurements in everyday life. The distance of a road is still typically measured in miles, and drinks come in pints. Feet and inches are also used to measure height, as well as pounds and ounces to measure weight.”

alanp561 and SS327 like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No such thing as 8mm wires in 1965....... fat spark plug wires are ugly....

SS327, Stock Racer and Big Al like this.
  28. SS327

SS327

I thought the meter was based on the distance between your average Frenchman’s hands when raised above his head surrendering.

That is probably the best explanation of anything I have ever heard!

427 sleeper, wraymen and alanp561 like this.
  29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, and I was just getting the "stones" conversion worked out. ;)

wraymen likes this.
  30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

AND every airplane and spaceship in the world uses AN/NAS bolts to put it together using standard thread pitches and not metric

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.