Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration If Ford re did the 32

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Aug 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJR

BJR

Ok, so Ford redid the mini birds and FAILED. What if they redid the 1932 Ford? Re create the body but not like they did the Mini birds. More toward the original. New motor of coarse, but more toward the original look. A factory old school hot rod with a compliant engine but with the old look. Would it sell?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

It would never meet NTSB standards. And if it did it wouldn't sell. Nice idea though.

3. williebill

williebill

They would have to screw it up, and we'd all make fun of it..

4. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think Plymouth Prowler...:eek:

Never2low, RICH B, BJR and 13 others like this.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Henry would drop a SBC in it

SS327, BJR, Roothawg and 5 others like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Naw..an El Es

BJR and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ford is coming out with a new '32. In 10 years.

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I hope it don't turn out like the HHR that Chevy did.

BJR and Wanderlust like this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have trouble imagining a Deuce SUV.

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

With airbags and high impact bumpers along with all the other safety and economy components added it wouldn't look much like a '32 Ford no matter how they'd build it.

BJR and big duece like this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

One thing I know for certain is that I am not in any companies target market anymore.... Young people for the most part (the people buying new cars) don't give a rats ass about old cars. When I drive my 61 Corvette to town for dinner (a pretty flashy car if I do say so myself) I can sit inside the restaurant and see people in their 20's and 30's walk right by it without giving it even a glance. Just like it isn't there... the 2032 fords will be nothing like the 1932 fords...

12. RmK57

RmK57

More than likely a Coyote and moped the floor with any sbc junk.

36cab, BJR, 57fordor and 1 other person like this.
  13. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

yeah. kind of sad. the younger generation walks by my CAD as if it was my Prius.

WalkerMD and BJR like this.
  14. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A sad truth. Kids today have grown up with a car as an expected accessory to their life. They no longer hold as much fanfare to them as the next iphone or next cartoon movie. Kids just expect that they will have a car and that it will always start and work or they will just throw it away like last weeks leftovers and get a different one.

WalkerMD, ct1932ford, BJR and 3 others like this.
  15. The 32 is already reproduced. As a kit. In glass and steel.
    As far as young folks go, my beater is always covered up with em at shows. Last week, two teens (with drivers license) cruised it. (Empty parking lot). Parked in front of our local burrito emporium also last week, kids were all over it. Snapping pics and selfies.
    Maybe my beater is just that cool:):):)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
  16. Squablow

Squablow

This is correct. I've heard this from old guys many times while driving my '57 Chevy, wondering why GM doesn't build new '57 Chevys with modern guts in them. And it's because it'd be impossible to make them legal, with all the minimum tail light area and mirror area requirements, pillars too thin for airbags, no engineered crumple zones, etc. It couldn't be done without bastardizing the original design.

And even if they did, who'd buy them? If you want a '57 Chevy (or a 32 Ford for that matter) with an all modern drivetrain and creature comforts in it, you can already get that, many have been built out of originals or replica bodies, and many are for sale. The ones built at the "factory" are unlikely to be cheaper, or better.

17. The neat thing about old cars is they’re old.
    I vote we keep ‘em that way.

WiredSpider, Vics stuff, BJR and 10 others like this.
  18. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Believe it or not the 20 and 30 somethings are always giving me complements on my off topic daily driver 77 Tbird . It might be newer who knows as far as the 32 it will never happen cars have no soul now.

BJR and anthony myrick like this.
  19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Probably be battery powered....

20. There is a possibility for a visual reproduction from a manufacturer if they wanted to. Low number special production vehicles can be made that don’t meet safety standards. They do have to meet epa regulations (if my memory is correct)
    However, any decent rod shop can build ya one.

BJR likes this.
  21. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s been tried, the Shay Model A. A dealer I did some work for had one. It didn’t drive like an old car, and it didn’t drive like a new one. Looked great parked, if you didn’t look too close or know the difference. No point except to get customer traffic on the lot. You can buy one today for less than the cost of a repo body, probably less than the chassis and banger will cost to go with it to make it right.

Tman, BJR, 40FORDPU and 1 other person like this.
  22. finn

finn

Ford did make a new 32 at one time.

It was called a 33.

23. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Funny part is a lot of kids nowadays are or at least consider themselves to be "retro" listen to records...etc yet they still dont have a clue

BJR likes this.
  24. spanners

spanners

Over here a lot of city kids aren't even interested in getting their driver's licence let alone have an interest in old cars. Plus, you can only notice something unusual in the carpark if you lift your eyes from your 'phone.

25. Let's not forget how well the Chevy SSR pickup did. Didn't have one feature of any old Chevy pickup. :rolleyes:

427 sleeper, ekimneirbo, BJR and 2 others like this.
  26. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

VANDENPLAS, BJR, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  27. wicarnut

wicarnut

The fifth generation Ford Mustang 2005/2014 was a retro style to resemble the original first generation 1964/1973 and I thought the 05/06/07 was the best retro styled cars out of them all and sold very well. Years ago I knew 2 men that had the Shay model A roadster, rode in, drove one, pretty good cars IMO. In this day and age it would be interesting to see what Detroit would come up with, I don't believe it ever will happen as the market would be too small, baby boomers numbers are shrinking fast. All the retro styled car were/are produced for us baby boomers, the largest car generation ever and we have the money to buy them, so I read and am told, I seemed to have misplaced mine, LOL, How many younger men can afford any of the new super cars available today, late models very popular at shows/cruises today, all us old farts driving them, I rarely see a younger man with one. I thought the Plymouth Prowler was a very kool design and was very interested in possible purchase until the V6 was the only engine available, I'm an V8 guy, if they would have put in a V8 I might of had to have one in my garage. I Agree with posts here, most of the retro styled cars failed in the sales numbers, the Chevy SSR, + 10K over list when first released, 6 months later - 10K under list, know a man that bought one, still has and it and he likes it, he has one of the first ones, the +10K model. That's the very best part of our Great car hobby/passion/obsession, there is something for everyone, a seat for every ass, a cover for every pot.

BJR, little red 50 and clem like this.
  28. It would look like the Plymouth Prowler.

Squablow and BJR like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Are there any cars with steel numbers anymore? My ‘03 Chevy PU has chrome ones, so did my ‘04 F150, but I can’t recall seeing a car with a steel bumper since the ‘70’s, but heck, I forgot already what I did at work over the night.
    If Ford was to do it, it may resemble a ‘32 from distance, but I don’t think anyone on the HAMB would like it, interior would be like a street rod, exterior all one piece molded together in plastic/glass.
    I think the new Tbird looked okay though, I recall when I was buying my ‘04 I was asking myself “Do I really need another pickup”?

BJR likes this.
  30. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

The muscle cars are fairly straightforward to build neo-retro versions of: they are generally car shaped.
    The petite early 30s cars? Not so much. They are Buggy shaped. As others have said, buggies don't adapt to crash testing very well.
    That holden is fairly nice looking, but were any actually produced? I doubt concept cars have to meet all the regulations production ones do.

As far as the youth of today having no interest in old cars there are a few things at work here.
    #1 is that most nice old cars are far beyond their reach, financially and mechanically (yes, I know they are simpler, but you can't exactly take a Hamb friendly car to the average garage for repairs)
    #2 is that we had a couple generations raised to be 'consumers' who replaced appliances when they broke down. Now the next couple generations are being conditioned to 'own nothing' and make 'personal sacrafices' for the sake of the 'future'

BJR and Budget36 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.