Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Do you drive ur custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by banditomerc, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Mine isn’t done as far as my vision of it being a Kustom, but we are driving it daily even as the driver’s ed car for my soon-to-be 16 year old son.

2A88479A-F535-4B93-8B1A-A8AEB4AE6591.jpeg A0DCAC3A-AC84-4368-B61A-27FF7125AAC6.jpeg

2. I when I first got my drove my 53 with the stock transmission and rear every day to work, and Worcester Mass, Englishtown NJ both of those trips are over 3 hours!
    The car still and will always have the stock front suspension. Note Radio delete plate.

I have since upgraded to a rebuilt and hopped up 261, 57 Corvette 3 speed and a 57 Chev rear, but I wouldn't hesitate to make those trips in the cars current form.

I do plan to run the exhaust all the way out the back not because the straight pipes are too loud but because they drone on long trips.

upload_2020-11-13_12-8-46.png upload_2020-11-13_12-9-14.png upload_2020-11-13_12-9-34.png

Man that make me love Winston that much more.
    upload_2020-11-13_12-7-59.png

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

when it is not raining I prefer to drive my hotrod and every year I make a few long distance roadtrips (0ver 10 hrs is what i consider long). more miles under me the better..

4. Two years later and we are still driving as regularly as we can. We have moved from periodically to monthly and most recently fortnightly. Just love the historical aspect this car has and in particular the period of Rod & Custom era it represents.

Screenshot_20220719-182127_Facebook.jpg 20220308_093250.jpg 20220804_112856.jpg FB_IMG_1661250925021.jpg

Stogy, drdave, echo ed and 11 others like this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Built to be driven. I dont drive mine to work, not a good area. I dont leave the house in my t bucket if its raining, but im not against running it in the rain, and have many times. My unibody isnt abused much, but now and then its used as a truck and hauls things, as its so much lower than my f350 and easier to load into

Stogy, OzMerc39 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would really like to……some day.

Stogy and OzMerc39 like this.
  9. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive my three toys just about every warm weather month days. They're meant to be driven, not just looked at like a piece of art.

Stogy, drdave and OzMerc39 like this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built to drive. can2.jpg dash p.jpg

Stogy, drdave, 40two and 1 other person like this.
  11. Yup.. At WalMart - needed a battery for the Vette. WalMart_Merc.JPG

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Welcome back man....

Stogy and OzMerc39 like this.
  13. Thanks Mark. Many issues for my absence, including many, many computer problems.. Good to be back!

-Dave

Stogy and drdave like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man we have missed you in the trad custom forum ,@Sancho @straykatkustoms @OG lil E @stanlow69 did you see who is back?

15. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

During summer and vacation time I only use either my Buick 50 or my Chevy 54, cars dont die of a little rain, also got a trailer hitch on the Chevy witch is handy when buying stuff or haul trash.
    Sometimes maybe once a week i drive it to work, its more fun going to work drivning a classic.
    Been driving the Buick 2000 miles and Chevy 2500 miles so far, got maybe a month and a half left before winter storage.

Stogy, hotrodjack33 and guthriesmith like this.
  16. I guess "stuff" happens when you use 'em.. Two years ago I backed into one of those elevated man-holes in an unfamiliar back lane. DANG! My buddy had me back on the road in less than a week!!
    Yeowcch.JPG
    Double_yeowch.JPG
    Fixed.JPG

-Dave

Stogy, hotrodjack33, drdave and 6 others like this.

17. What a eye catching car in an amazing colour.

Pure class !!!

18. wicarnut

wicarnut

All my cars are drivers, for me the cruising/shows and the fun of driving is the point of having hobby cars. The only car I trailered was my highboy roadster to the far away big shows, 100 mile trip was my limit of sitting in it, I did put 20K miles on in 8 years. I appreciate the car art high dollar stuff, enjoy looking at them, to each their own said the farmer as he hugged his cow. IMO, The diversity of the cars/people is what is so great about our car hobby.

Stogy likes this.
  19. I know what you mean.:confused: Not once but twice!

746.jpg IMG_2021e.jpg

Stogy, rodncustomdreams and drdave like this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

If you have a late model, licensed / insured / running, who can argue which you drive as a daily ? Does your collector policy restrict you to weekend days ? :D

21. indyjps

indyjps

As far as driving daily. I suspect a lot of "done" cars aren't so done. You can deal with little "non-working" things on a Saturday drive that you don't want to on a daily. Wipers, horn, turn signals, cooling issues, brakes-good enough? etc.....

22. Ouch Angel! Thanks for driving 'tho.. Way more fun than staring at it in the garage even with the risk of a fender being "adjusted" - right?

-Dave

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Stogy, hotrodjack33 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  23. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Whenever I have an old car it is my daily. I just don't do modern cars. Why would I spend money on a modern car when I could have a cool old car.

24. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Every chance I get! So far we've driven it from Georgia to the Grand Canyon, then we drove it to Fairmount Indiana a couple times, Maggie Valley, Tennessee and the list goes on.

Attached Files:

25. dropdead mike

dropdead mike

I put 10,000 miles a year on my '50. live in the north east so I don't drive from the first time they salt the roads till the roads are dry again. no heat, no AC, good wipers, bias ply tires and comfortable to drive.

26. Kad60

Kad60
    from Australia

I drive my mercury a few days a week. I love driving it. IMG_20220609_193114.jpg

Stogy, OzMerc39, LOST ANGEL and 3 others like this.
  27. You're right about that! New speed bump got installed this spring on the route I take to the bank after work. Dang thing was nearly square, so despite creeping over it, the front tire dropped off the back side and smashed the cutout onto the top of the hump. :/

IMG_6301.jpeg
    IMG_6304.jpeg

I'm quite a bit slower than your buddy Dave, but it's back straight and almost ready to paint now. But, Lead Ain't Dead is this weekend and it's done as far as it's going to get for now....back on the road. LOL

28. Well dang-it Doc.. I guess we just have to put up with this stuff if we are going to drive 'em. Speed bumps are a real issue with me - slows down only those of us who care about their rides; the rest just whiz over them like they aren't there. So how do they help?? Our city seems to have fallen in love with the damn things lately as well.. Oh well, back to the streets we go regardless!

-Dave

Stogy, drdave and LOST ANGEL like this.
  29. Needed gas this morning while running errands and bumped into my buddy John Wilkes doing the same in his '38 Dodge pickup:
    IMG_0935 - Copy.JPG

-Dave

Stogy, OzMerc39, drdave and 1 other person like this.
  30. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Fresh pic from today, it´s friday so i took my Chevy to work, and also did some shopping on my way home
    [​IMG]