Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pat Ganahl R.I.P.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lucky, Aug 19, 2022.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

In the back of my mind I had always hoped he would start up ROD AND CUSTOM again. I have said many time that a hot rod/car has "IT" factor ,200MPH setting still. With his love/knowledge of everything "hot rod", Pat had "IT".
    Above all else, a son lost his father, a wife lost her husband. My heartfelt condolences.

2. Gofannon

Gofannon

My thoughts as well. I guess we'll know in good time. Also the Spalding Roadster must've been very close to finished. I wonder if he got to fire it up? These cars are jems in their own right, and will eventually be rebuilt/finished, but now with added (tragic) history. Meanwhile, there's grieving to be done.

3. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Condolences to his family. A truly great man, he will be dearly missed.

Uncle Ronn, Stogy and 49ratfink like this.
  4. Met him in 74, or 75. Was at Lodi Grape Festival with my Parents (I was born in 58) they had my Dad's 40 Chevy coupe there. Pat walked up and wanted to shoot a feature on it for Street Rodder. Watching him take the pictures of the car, how he worked, how he moved around to get the best shot was pretty interesting. The car came out in Street Rodder a few months later. Once I knew who he was, I'd see him everywhere, how could you not, he was probable close to 7' tall. I didn't speak to him every time I saw him, he was always busy or talking to someone. I did say hi to him years later, and asked him if he remembered the 40 Chevy, he said "yes I remember that car." I told him we still had it and it was basically unchanged. He thought that was cool. Saw him years ago on one of the freeways in LA, he was heading the other direction in the fast lane in his 32 Roadster. It was LA Roadster weekend. RIP Pat.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

What can you say that hasn't already been said? Pat will be missed by a multitude of hot rodders everywhere!

Hnstray, Uncle Ronn, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Sad. A void that can't be filled.

7. These sorts of events are difficult to hear and understand, and even more so to the hot rod and custom community when it's someone like Pat with his vast knowledge of hot rods and customs and the willingness to share that knowledge.

My condolences to his wife, son, extended family, and to his friends of whom there are many. RIP.

8. Dammit, I can't even think........

9. I subscribed to his blog....loved getting in my in box...I even wrote to him and he answered...I followed him and every word he wrote back in the 1970s when he was working at street rodder magazine...he was a pillar in the sport.

At least he went out doing what he loved...cant much better than that...sorta like Dale Sr. dying racing his beloved #3 at Daytona....a life well lived for sure...

RIP too tall...

MikeC

10. lowsled2

lowsled2
    from Florida

I was hoping this news was not true. Just
    awful.

11. Been way too busy the last few days and hadn't been on the computer. Logged on this morning to see this.
    My heart just sank. One of my personal heroes that has always inspired me by his cool taste in cars and the super way he always put his thoughts down on paper for us to read. One of my favorite magazine writers of all time. Someone on here posted he left big shoes to fill. Sadly, I don't think anyone can fill them.
    My condolences to his family, friends and myriads of fans. He will be greatly missed.
    Vaya con Dios Mr. Ganahl..........E

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Wonderful words, thank you, especially "human stewardship." He was a good steward of the life he had been given.

13. Sad news for sure! RIP Pat. I always enjoyed his articles.

Uncle Ronn, jim snow and Stogy like this.
  14. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I sent Pat an email a couple years back about 32 Fords with Cadillac engines with respect to packaging and cooling. I had never met him before and he didn’t know me from Adam. Of course he responded with an amazing amount of detail on his car and some great advice. I was able to thank him personally last year when I met him at the Gathering in Oklahoma. He was soft spoken and super friendly.

He will be greatly missed. God bless him and his family.

15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that Pat was somewhat active here… can someone who knows his family ensure that they have access to this thread?

16. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those that shared their personal stories of Pat, Thank you. I have read many of his features and articles, but never met him in person. Once again RIP to an icon in our hobby.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  17. I'm certain, that when they are ready, they will.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a write up and photos in antiqued that should be here on this post I don’t know how to do the transfer.,

chryslerfan55, Uncle Ronn and Stogy like this.
  19. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP Pat. Sincere condolences to family and friends.
    Jim

Uncle Ronn and Stogy like this.
  20. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I first met Pat when in the Peterson office in 89 and I got a bring back R and C shirt from him. I later got to know him when I worked at Super Bell in the 90.s and he was building his green Chev.
    A very nice,humble man
    We should all spare a thought for his wife and son.
    Their loss makes ours look insignificant.
    RIP Pat

22. 5window

5window

Couldn't find it, I hope someone can post a link?

Uncle Ronn and Hotrodmyk like this.
  23. 5window

5window

I always thought of Pat as "ours" but do a Google search and there are many other motor-related forum popping up from all over. Truly, Pat was widely revered and will be sorely missed by a very large number of people.

24. the flatlander

the flatlander

A sorry adios to my long time pal “too tall.”Ganahl. No more shared birthdays at York, no more belly dancers, no more stories that we’ll all miss. But, it was quite a journey. Say hi to Tom & Tex from us friends here. Good thoughts to family & friends.. Alan @ Flatlanders.

Just Gary, Algoma56, Nominal and 4 others like this.
  25. I posted this on an old tribute thread to Pat back in April.
    Even more special to me at this tragic time.

“Been a fan and follower forever. He has always been the real deal.
    I remember way back in the late 80’s-early 90’s and I had my roadster at NSRA Louisville for the first time. I was running down Phillips Lane headed to the entrance gate, and who stepped out in the middle of the busy road but the man himself. And he actually took a picture of my homemade pile of parts headed straight toward him. Of course, he took thousands of pictures that weekend; but cut, buried or lost forever is one of a grey primered Model A highboy driven by a grinning idiot.
    I don’t remember much else from that long ago weekend, but that’s what memories are made of.”

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  26. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

So sad what loss Pat was a treasure for all of us his knowledge and passion will never be replaced. Dam this is hard for sure.

27. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

He was a true hot rod HERO. Love His books and numerous articles. RIP Pat.

Uncle Ronn, Stogy and jim snow like this.
  28. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I met Pat a few times at his house as I knew his neighbor. I also have a signed check from Pat made out to me. He was a good guy always fair an honest.

29. rustythumb32

rustythumb32

it feels like we've been robbed. r.i.p. pat.

30. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Pat , may God take you for an eternal Custom cruise in the car of your dreams . When people come by I do show them the Museum Handbook you autographed for me and I will always remember you as the cool friendly dude I met at a little shop in Burbank I believe in 2015 and a swell conversation Pat your The Best and always with me see ya soon for more !