Register now to get rid of these ads!

Longtime reader, new member

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 57Jeff59, Aug 6, 2022.

1. 57Jeff59

57Jeff59

Hello: I've enjoyed reading Jalopy Journal for several years, and finally decided to join. I've been a "car guy" for as long as I can remember. As I am technologically challenged (I turn 60 this weekend), I'll have my kids help me with posting pictures of my classic cars before too long; there are two:
    1. 1957 Chevy 210 two-door sedan--bought in Dec '78, when I was in 10th grade, and not yet old enough to drive. 283 V8 (not original), Powerglide, original upholstery, original paint (Dusk Pearl/white). The next summer, repainted it a soft yellow (kinda like butter), had the seats re-upholstered in pleated black vinyl, and replaced the skinny 14 x 8.00 tires and stock hubcaps with 60 series BFG white letter tires and 15 x 7 Cragar SS rims. In 1999, took the car out of storage, started driving it; one night, the master cylinder went out as I pulled into the garage; took out a gorilla rack and two mountain bikes; the hood and front fenders were damaged. Last driven in 2003; has sat in the garage since, and will need LOTS of work to get it running again.
    2. 1959 Chevy El Camino--my father bought this brand new as a teenager. 283 V8 (original engine), bored out to 301. Stock tranny was "3 on the tree," my day changed it to a "3 at the knee" Hurst shifter. My dad also had carpet, black pleated upholstery, and baby moon rims installed. The truck sustained some body damage long ago (1960s or 1970s); around 1980, he used a painter who advertised himself as a "classic vehicle restorer." The guy did a terrible job, and covered up his bodywork sins with Bondo. He left the windows cracked open, got overspray on the upholstery. Dad left the truck in storage for years, and he passed away in 2018. My mom gave the truck to me. We hired a mechanic friend to get the truck running, and we had the bench seat re-upholstered in black pleat, with door panels to match. New headliner, re-padded the dash, new carpet. My uncle gave me a set of 15 x 7 GM Rallye wheels, which are wearing Cooper Cobra tires. I am so grateful that my mom gave me the truck, and helped me with getting it fixed. She got to see the truck being driven since June 2021, and she passed away last week.
    Thank you for reading this; hope I didn't go on too long.

Kiwi 4d, 210superair and B Bay Barn like this.
  2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

Let us know how we can help to get the '57 going.

3. 57Jeff59

57Jeff59

Thank you!

4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Welcome from MI

5. 57Jeff59

57Jeff59

Thank you!

210superair likes this.