Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 64/65 Rancheros

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LeoSmalls, Aug 16, 2022.

1. LeoSmalls

LeoSmalls

I think the 64/65 Rancheros are on the edge of what most people would consider a custom candidate, lending themselves more to the mid sixties mid-size muscle look with the angled front end. But does anyone have some good examples of taking one and giving it a more "old school" or mild custom look? I can't figure out if it is the bottom body line or fender wells, but most of what I see has a "tougher" stance than what I am envisioning. I find a lot more examples of 60-63 with a level drop.

I am looking for some inspiration as I have an opportunity to build a 65. I have already read about the Shelby drop and static lowering options (keeping in mind wheel/tire changing). I am just trying to figure out the direction I want to go with it. Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Here is an example 5729_897645_unnamed.jpg 133158_Front_3-4_Web.jpg I have found that seem to be along the lines I am envisioning:

brading, earlymopar and Kelly Burns like this.
  2. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I like the Ranchero but not the Falcon.

Davesblue50 likes this.
  3. LeoSmalls

LeoSmalls

I also like the ranchero over the falcon, but included the falcon for the stance.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind that the Shelby Drop is not intended to lower the vehicle.

In most cases it does not at-all.

The intention is to produce a negative roll curve on the front camber when the body rolls.

As stock, when the weight transfers to the outside wheel in a corner, the tire tips inward at the top. The combination of that, and the angle change of the body, and you can be looking at tread that is largely no longer in contact with the road. Hella sketchy.

By relocating the control arm down, when the weight transfers, the wheel tips outward, planting the tread squarely with the road!

It really increases the handling limit of the car.

sdluck and TrailerTrashToo like this.

5. LeoSmalls

LeoSmalls

Hey thanks for the clarification!

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is probably the single least expensive modification, as it is just the expense of a specific drill bit, that you can ever make to any car, that produces the biggest results.

I have a low (as low as my city permits), stiffly sprung, anti-roll bar equipped Falcon, with big brakes.

While I cannot keep up on the straights, I can make it up in the corners!