Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1962 Meteor manual steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Jay, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Vintage Jay

Vintage Jay

Hey all,

I am redoing a 1962 Mercury Meteor and need some folks input who are edumacated in those and Fairlanes. Here is the question.

The car had power steering from the factory. As the butt backward person I am, I want to change it to manual steering to clean up the engine bay for what I am doing to the car. Ya know, get rid of all the hoses and big pump and what not. So...will a manual gearbox from a Fairlane fit? Does anyone make those nowadays or know of where I can aquire one? And do I need to make changes to the power rack? Never switched backwards before. I have had plenty of cars with manual steering and believe it or not I prefer it. Thanks in advance!!!

If ive made any mistakes posting feel free to scold me, its my first time posting here.

2. squirrel

squirrel

alanp561 and Vintage Jay like this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

IF it's like the "M-word" power steering just lose the pump and hydraulic cylinder underneath and you got a manual steer car!.............'Maybe' swap the pitman arm ?!!
    These cars were built back when stuff was sooo much simpler. Don't over think it.
    6sally6

Vintage Jay likes this.
  4. You will need one of those drag link conversions like Jim links to above to replace the power steering control valve on the center link. But do shop around; Borgeson also makes one, I've seen them cheaper than the link. Fits '55-64 Ford full-size, '62-65 Fairlane/Meteor and '63-65 Falcon/Comet.

The only difference in the steering gearbox is the ratio, with the power box being 'faster' (typically 14:1 vs 17:1) which will give a bit more steering effort, but preferred for better handling. On some Mercury models that's what they used for both types anyway...

jaracer and Vintage Jay like this.

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will need that replacement link. The control valve with no hydraulic pressure results in very loose steering. Mad that mistake as kid when I needed a leaking pump rebuilt. Didn’t make it 2 blocks from home before I came back.

Vintage Jay likes this.
  6. Vintage Jay

Vintage Jay

I do tend to overthink things I haven’t messed with. Thanks all for the help. I wasn’t sure if the gearbox HAD to be changed due to ratio differences. Seems to be a lot simpler than I made it out to be. Think I have what i need to know. Thanks all.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  7. Vintage Jay

Vintage Jay

I looked into this piece before and was going to buy it and try it. Its not super expensive but the 62 meteor is not listed and the company did not respond to me if it would work. Let ya know how it works.

8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As you can see from Steve’s post #4, Ford used a lot of parts across the whole line. Should be ok. Keep the old valve, original cores are getting hard to come by, it’ll be worth a few bucks to the right guy.

Vintage Jay likes this.