Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I love convertibles but

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 9, 2022.

1. I drive the total antithesis of a convertible at the moment, a Chevy AD panel truck, but I've had my '55 Chevy 'vert and a '59 Corvette soft top back when I was wild and wooly. I occasionally thoughtlessly left the windows as they were when I dropped the top without considering that I might be on an online forum someday. Mea culpa. :oops:
    But I also never considered that I was supposed to rig my windows for other people's tastes. If I get another convertible someday I'll be sure to set the windows only halfway up, or maybe halfway down, so as to please both ends of the bell curve. :rolleyes:
    But if I were King, the first law I'd pass is that you enjoy your drive and get home safe when you're done. And I'd have the thread title changed to, "Cranked Topless Photos In Here". :p

downlojoe33 likes this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

I realize not the same thing, but I never could understand why there would be people who would ride motorcycles and snowmobiles with windshields until I rode both without one, especially the snowmobile!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    firstinsteele likes this.
  3. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I've been driving convertibles on and off in northeast Ohio for 60 years and I used to say that I could guarantee that I drove more times with the windows rolled up, the top down, and the heater going full blast, then I did with the top up and the air (if I had it) on.

57 Fargo, 49Olds and AccurateMike like this.
  4. Had a '59 'Vette with a hard top which I occasionally removed. Other than that, wouldn't have a rag top. Early Corvettes with rag tops are horrible looking IMHO.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here's a Tip, If you are cruising with top down and AC running Note !, wear a hat, made that mistake 1X and sun burn on top of head, the blistering and peeling was No Fun. I repeat No Fun. This happened as my hair was thinning, still had hair then, now like my Dad, chrome dome, I always wear a hat in Sun to avoid cooking the little bit of brain left. LOL

Sancho and mrspeedyt like this.
  6. topher5150

topher5150

The only way my great aunt would let my great uncle drive with the top down is if they had all the windows up.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When the top is down I have all the windows down,I ride motorcycles so the wind does not bother me.

8. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Got to keep that bitchin hairdo in-place. :D

'28phonebooth likes this.
  9. Boatmark

Boatmark

Love running down the highway in the cold with the top down, windows up, heat and stereo blasting.

Don’t give a flip what anyone thinks about my window placement. Surprised how many men here do.

10. Nominal

Nominal

For me, windows down with the top down. It goes get windy though if going fast-ish
    P1080889.JPG

downlojoe33, Sancho and Jalopy Joker like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-13_4-51-13.png 1951 in "Hot" Pacoima, CA in the inland area of the San Fernando Valley...So Cal

Hello,

Ever since my wife was a little girl in one of those westward moves from OKC, she has liked convertibles. Her dad had a 36 Ford coupe and a 51 Chevy sedan. They were “his.” So, my wife’s mom bought a 47 Buick convertible just for her and the two “sisters.” In Pacoima, the nearby aerospace industry was the draw. But for a housewife and kids, it was a hot place to live.

The closest beaches were many miles away in the Santa Monica Bay. But, it was not a daily or weekend thing to do at the time. Three kids, beach paraphernalia and a hot drive was not the top thing on the list. Let alone a dad that did not want to be in a top down convertible, for some reason(s).

So, when driven to the store, park or neighborhoods, it was a convertible, top down event. Being close to the Angeles National Forest had some advantages for cooler weather, but the top down cruise to local destinations was usually the case.

Jnaki

My wife remembers on some trips that the “girls” got their hair done and a road trip was necessary. So, the 50s requirement was a hair bandana and the windows were rolled up, with the top down. It was usually sunny 360 +/- days of the year in this whole region.

Sample
    : “Mrs. Maisel” upload_2022-8-13_5-6-42.png
    period correct in all convertibles for passengers and drivers…

But, since then, (no convertibles) our cars have been open windows for road trips and when we were able to get an A/C car, the windows were always up. The interesting thing is, as smooth as the modern designs are, they are not made for open window cruising in freeway speeds, anyway. YRMV

If my wife had her way and we had a three car garage, one of these convertibles would be sitting in that coveted parking space.
    upload_2022-8-13_5-9-36.png
    Top down cruising is definitely in the picture in So Cal, hair styles or not…

Note:

“For someone who grew up in So Cal, my wife still craves a nice looking convertible for our meager stable of cars. But, her thought is, it is nice, but when would we put the top down and drive? (The noise, wind, hot sun bearing down on our heads, etc.) Those all play havoc for the stylish woman driver. The hair styles of the past and present ladies just does not go with the swirling winds, despite those back seat wind blockers. A 29 roadster pickup, 57 Chevy convertible or an M3 convertible? The same story in those styles of hot rods.”

“One other major factor for young drivers: What about a roll over factor without much protection? Sure, there are roadsters with roll bars and modern cars with Targa Tops, but for the most part, no roll over protection or sun protection while driving down the road. It was one thing that slowed down the factory, production design of the convertibles.”

“But, it is the “…warm California Sun” that is the draw for convertibles. For some, the convertibles were a convenient application. For others, it was the openness and not being cooped (couped) up in the kitchen. (or a 37 Chevy coupe with three little kids) “Freedom Riders”… of the special kind.”

“p.s. There is a middle ground for finicky people: a large electric sunroof...”

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this one in Baldwin Hills (Westchester) Ca. at a car gathering.. Didn’t ask the guy. 89DA816A-08A7-4B23-B272-223E265DC429.jpeg

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We get about two perfect days a year to drive a convertible with the top down, one in spring, the other in the fall. Otherwise it's too hot or too cold. For me, that is.

Had a later model fox body, the rear windows never worked, so we just left them up. Last and only money pit, err, convertible I'll ever own. Had a CJ5 for a while, never had second thoughts about taking the top off it, really enjoyed it. But I was younger then, now, give me AC and windows up and I'm happy.

'28phonebooth likes this.