Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I love convertibles but

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 9, 2022.

1. I don't get it, so I'll just add it to the list of "am I missing out on something here, or, are they just confused?"

2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have a couple O/T convertibles, one Dad bought new. My kids have grown up and out riding in all kinds of weather. Little drizzle no big deal, chilly evening top down windows down heat on high, They see a convertible cruising with the top down and the windows up it's called "geek of the week!" Joe

Russco, Bandit Billy and The 39 guy like this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Drove both my 1964 Polara 500 convert and my 1965 Coronet 500 convert with the top down and often with the windows up.
    Thank God I never gave a rats ass what others thought.
    Probably have done all sorts of things wrong with cars in the past according to someone.

4. Apparently I’m in the “not cool” group as well!! I drive mine on the highway with the windows up, drastically reduces the wind buffeting in the front seat, the minute I slow down for town they all come down…. My favorite time to drive it is when it’s cool with the heater on.
    Guess I’m doing it wrong…oh well.

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Yep top down windows up is forbidden in my 39 vert. I did roll up the drivers window on a misty drive over a mountain pass though. The mist on the windshield was turning into rain droplets that were coming around the A pillar and slapping me in the face.

Rramjet1 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  6. Only time the windows were up in my ragtop was if it was raining…in other words…never…couldn’t bear to drive it in the rain haha

My favorite time to drive it was cool summer nights, with the heat blasting on me..the glow of the dash lights…my Wife at my side…man do I do I miss that

7. I've only had one convertible in my life.... 50 some years ago. Never again.... they just aren't practical as a DD in the Pacific NorthWET!

8. 49Olds

49Olds

Rolling down PCH on a cool fall night, top down, all windows up, heater cranked on high. Warm feet, cool wind through your hair, the smell of the ocean and the clatter of a solid lifter 327 is unbeatable.

9. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Six converts here. Most always top down. Used a scarf in the winter.
    39 guy, Once I drove the truck from NoCal into Ore up up up.
    You say mist I believe cloud is the word.
    I'd say you gotta hide from that.

I heard that. Soggy seats no fun.

scotty t likes this.
  10. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

top down windows up was usually my preference at highway speeds. less buffeting. my last drop top was 25 years ago.

yes. wussy.

57 Fargo likes this.
  11. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

You're leaving the house at 7 AM. It's 55 degrees, but you know it will be 80-90 and sunny later in the day. So you leave with top down and windows up. Later as temp comes up, windows go down and heater goes off, It's not a fashion statement, just more comfortable

57 Fargo, jimgoetz and mrspeedyt like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I lead a shelter life, rode in a early 60’s Chevy with the top down once, and while I was storing it, took the top off the ‘68/9 Vette for a trip into town a few times. Top on or off on the Vette, made no difference, I was having fun with the Muncie and the 427/390HP engine.
    But yes, I’ve always wondered “why” when I see a top down and the windows up with a few people in the car, taking a leisurely drive through town.

13. Roll the windows up or down with the A 400, same as the B-400 it doesn't matter, but it's cooler with them down. HRP

[​IMG]

jimmy six likes this.
  14. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

0C772E7F-A82C-4B8D-9111-D38A305FE533.jpeg Top hasn’t been down for 4 years. Last time we had it detailed they got the plastic rear window really nice. Don’t want to mess it up and it lives in the great NW.

nor6304, impala4speed, 49Olds and 4 others like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're exactly right, Danny.
    And I'm just jokin' around. :)

16. I had a 1939 Ford convertible and really enjoyed driving the car but when the top was dow and it was most of the time the windows were down. HRP

The 39 guy and ct1932ford like this.
  17. I hear you my friend. HRP

18. 2935ford

2935ford

HRP
    When I had my '55 Chev ragtop...... top down, yup, windows down but........
    I'm too old to give a sh%$t now! :)
    55 Chev Convert 9.jpg

19. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

I'd rather see one with the windows up and top down than hear someone call it a 'vert'

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Come on man! I own 3 top less cars currently and we get more convert weather days in the PNW than they do in AZ ! Have I driven windows up and top down? Yep!

Try leaving stump town in 85 degree weather in Sept. heading for Lincoln city on the beach. The temp drops 30 degrees in 2 hours as you crest the coast range and the windows go up! Heater comes on too. Still beats having a roof!

Do you guys make fun of Harley riders that wear electric socks, vests, jackets and heated grips? What ever keeps you out there on the road baby!

If your chilly right now , some of you need to ask your mom to turn up the heat in the basement.

21. My sons OT vette had one window that wouldn’t go down for a bit. But, we fixed it. Don’t want to be made fun of especially when you are a 17 year old driving a convertible vette. To be honest, the one headlight that wouldn’t go down was a bigger issue for me though. :rolleyes:

Sancho likes this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sounds like you wrote the beginning of a cool song...oh wait, the Eagles already did that!

jimgoetz likes this.
  23. das858

das858

My wife has an o/t '69 Cuda convertible, and will loose her mind when she sees someone driving a convertible, top down windows up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    BigDogSS likes this.
  24. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Taught my wife early on, if the top is down the windows stay down too. She has since taught our granddaughter the same lesson. Usually when we see people cruising with the windows up and top down we get good chuckle out of it. It’s kind of an inside joke with us and another couple that we frequent cars outings with. We still have 2 verts, she keeps extra hair ties in them both and a blanket in the trunk if she gets cold which like most women can be cold when it’s 80 degrees out. 59F7655C-86D6-49F9-A185-AC9D6F8478D3.jpeg

das858, guthriesmith and The 39 guy like this.
  25. End of story! Top down windows down.

The 39 guy likes this.
  26. prpmmp

prpmmp

Wow!! All this great advise! I wish all you cool guys would get together and write a book,Then all us losers would not embarrass ourselfs when we go out in public!! Thanks Pete

BigDogSS, 49Olds, MCjim and 3 others like this.
  27. chopped

chopped

Owned two, never gave a flip what anyone thought about my windows.

28. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man you're not alone. I've owned a few convertibles, but I won't again. I'm just not into it. I prefer a coupe any day.

I'm weird, I know it already. My wife tells me daily....

29. banjorear

banjorear

Haha. That's me. No top. What surprises me is that I get no wind buffering in my '28 AV8. I guess because the front grille and windshield are like walls and cause the wind to go up and over the top of the cockpit.

30. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

That 37 Chevy looks like it needs new springs. Top down you must have windows down.

J. A. Miller likes this.