Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Belly Tank Build, NZ.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, May 3, 2021.

1. spanners

spanners

I've got a couple of those 350 two barrels kicking around. I don't know what freight from NSW to N.Z. would be like but if interested let me know.

AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. Thanks but the one i just got is real good and that should do me for now, cheers. JW

Stogy likes this.
  3. This is as far as i got, the rear hoop is tacked in and the front one is almost ready for fitment. Got interupted with family stuff. Also hope to pick up my exhaust bits after work Monday. JW
    [​IMG]

4. Did a bit more on the roll cage today, trimmed up the two uprights behind the new hoop and trimmed and match fitted the front hoop. Got in with my helmet on and had my assistant mark the rear hoop for the helmet rail, made two new ones and tacked them in. Will cut and trim the rest of the bits for the cage tomorrow. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  5. Also had a play with the exhaust, not sure these are the pipes that will be on the finished item, they look a bit strange but i wanted to have them exiting the body at even spacing. The two tubes going up is a start of the intake, still designing the plenum in my head but the Holley 2bbl will sit above the engine with clearance to get at the plugs. JW[​IMG]

6. Had a very busy day on the roll cage having to remake every piece i cut off. My right hand has pins and needles from holding onto the grinder.
    Overall i am now happy with it and my assistant Mrs W is also...win win. She tried it out too and all is good. I want to take the bare chassis to work in the next three weeks and fully weld it so i have something finished. JW
    [​IMG]

7. Looks much better as well as being right. JW
    [​IMG]

Jet96, bathcollector, brEad and 8 others like this.
  8. No longer looking like an ''Oil Rig''. Overall i am glad i decided to start over with the cage as it was eating at me. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  9. AndersF

AndersF

Looks good.
    A lot of extra work to get it right.
    But there is so much work anyway so its no meaning to take shortcuts and not be pleased with the result.

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. Thanks, Bud, hope all is OK with you. JW

Stogy and AndersF like this.
  11. Started making the intake, base plate made from 4''x 1/2'' Alloy. The exhaust tubes will have new bends fitted and made to look a bit nicer and the two tubes for the intake will be increased to 1 1/2'' OD from 1 3/8'' OD. More on these soon when i get the bends. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    bathcollector, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello JW!
    Been a while since we spoke.
    I love the build. I just found it. I haven't read through it all yet.
    I was curious about all the reasons for the engine choice? Is it so you can race in a certain class?

13. Good to hear from you. The reason for the Willys 4 is simple, i have owned Willys cars since i was 17 and (46 yrs) still own my 2nd and 3rd Willys. I am very passionate about Willys (someone needs to be) and about 30 or more years ago i had an idea to build a Belly Tank of sorts using mechanicals i have already. After going to speed week in 2016 i decided to step it up a bit and make a real one. The axles were going to be Willys also back then but would not have worked now so that is how it is now. My goal is not to set a record but to only beat my own top speed of 150 mph, we will see!:cool::) JW

brEad, Stogy, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  14. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Give em Hell!
    Win or lose, a man who follows his dreams is truly alive.
    I'll be watching!

brEad, Stogy, AndersF and 1 other person like this.
  15. Impressive thread, and great work coming out of a kiwi garage :)

16. Well thanks for that. Its cool making this with limited equipment and space. I have no plan to follow, just a vision and my old trade etc. JW

Stogy, kadillackid and saltflats like this.
  17. Made the last two major chassis pieces today. Will mount a battery on the rear bulkhead between the new braces, moving forward again. :cool: JW
    [​IMG]

18. I cleaned up the two drive shaft yokes and gave them some paint and a new cross. :cool: JW
    [​IMG]

kadillackid, AndersF and Stogy like this.
  19. Started working out the intake a bit more now i have the larger tube (1 1/2'') with nice non restrictive bends. The carb will sit about an inch lower than in the photo. The 2x4 is close to the size of the plenum and i will fab a new water outlet to fit under the plenum. I will put a flange half way up the runners so the carb and plenum can be removed separately for head removal. More on all this soon. I will also redo the exhaust runners. JW
    [​IMG]

20. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I like it!
    You have made some quality stuff there JW!

Stogy, AndersF and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  21. Tacked the lower harness mounts in place. To remove the seat with the new roll cage you have to slide it forward turn it sideways to the right and carefully lift it out, very close to not coming out. JW
    [​IMG]

22. And finally decided on a position for the fuel shut off lever. JW
    [​IMG]

23. Mocked up water outlet elbow and plenum. JW
    [​IMG]

24. Sitting in position, The water outlet will have a piece of round Ally tube grafted on the end. Will tack it all together and recheck it all. Hope to have the induction and exhaust finished soon. There is enough room to get to #2 and 3 spark plugs. Must be time to look at the firewall again. JW
    [​IMG]

25. Got the plenum all tacked up along with the custom water outlet and now sorting the intake runners, these will have flanges so the carb/plenum can be removed without the need to disturb the lower part for head removal etc. JW
    [​IMG]

26. Closeup of the water outlet. JW
    [​IMG]

27. From the back. the intake flanges are just sitting there and the small flat piece on the back of the plenum is for mounting a plate for the throttles hydraulic slave cylinder and return springs. I also have the second take on the exhaut runners to fit... moving forward. :cool: JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truly genius really...the bullet, she is coming together nicely JW...;)

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. Slowly but surely. Hope have the exhaust and intake pieced together in the next couple days and next will be to make an adapter and mounting to mount the steering column and wheel hub. Not really finishing much in case i need to change something. I want to get as much sorted out on it as i can as i have a local car show/ swap meet in November and i want to take it as well as the RPU and Mrs W's Mustang... and i just want it done as i really want to run it at an event in February. JW

30. Had a good morning in the shed getting the runners trimmed to match, flanges tacked on and generaly all joined up, cool! will take it to work and get it TIG'd up. Just need to work out a mount on the other side of the plenum to help support it. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022