Register now to get rid of these ads!

Firecracker to unstick a piston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Plaer, Aug 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plaer

Plaer

Hear me out!! I want to have an actual discussion, not stupid comments, about your thoughts on using a firecracker to shock loose a stuck piston. I know it sounds absurd but the more I thought about it, the less silly it sounded. It's a tiny explosion in an area made for explosions and I'm not looking to turn the engine over, just "shock" the piston. I would leave the spark plug out. The motor is a common chev inline 6 and is no good if the piston won't move anyway.
    Hmmmm....

2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Lol, the ultimate irony, starting this discussion and asking for serious comments....

j hansen, Slopok, vtx1800 and 13 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I moved this to the main board, the Q and A forum is for questions about the forum..... Personally I don't think a firecracker is going to do anything ... why not just take it apart???

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Sparkplug out, no effect whatsoever. Sparkplug in, no effect whatsover. But try it and see.

5. The sparkplug hole would need to be closed. Both valves would need to be closed. If there's an opening, no "shock wave". If no opening, no way to pop a cap inside. That's the catch.
    The position of the frozen piston is connected to the camshaft bone which is connected to the valve bone........ chances are one or both valves are open.
    Anyway, the cylinder wall is toast. The piston has to come out to fix that.

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

how big a firecracker? do you plan to do this wearing hearing protection?

warbird1, clem and Deuces like this.
  7. mustangsix

mustangsix

If you had a hydraulic pump maybe you could use it with a fitting on the plug opening to pump oil or water into the cylinder. Some hand pumps can make a couple thousand PSI.

Ned Ludd, Squablow, Fogger and 2 others like this.
  8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

pull the rockers to close the valves,
    machine an adapter to screw into a spark plug hole
    that a shotgun shell (with shot removed) fits in
    screw a cap with firing pin over it and smack it with a hammer.

no, on second thought dont do that

williebill, SS327, rod1 and 17 others like this.
  9. Added to the above reply, maybe make an adapter for a zerk fitting and pump it full of grease if the piston is near the top. Should be good for 2000 psi

10. yes a grease gun can put out 2000 psi, you could try that but like said before both valves would have to be closed. And that is the problem, most of the time pistons get stuck because water got in. So how did the water get in? head gasket? if the gasket is blown you will never get the pressure up with a pump. Most of the time water gets in through an open carb, down the intake and, you guessed it, through the open intake valve. and if the valve is open you will never get pressure built up.
    An explosion may work better than a pump as the pressure rise would be faster and may overcome a head gasket problem but I don't think it will work if a valve is open.
    But let's say you want to try. I would get one of the model rocket engine igniters, these are small wires with some flammable coating on them. you can pull the fuse out of the fire cracker and bend the igniter in half and shove it in the hole where the fuse was. Then take the spark plug and remove the insulator run some small wires through the hole and seal them up with epoxy or something. connect the wires to the igniter leads and screw the whole mess in. I think a 9v battery will set it off.
    I say this all kind of tongue in cheek as it would be best to just remove the head and soak it down with something and work it loose. :)
    Anyway let us know how it goes!

11. This sounds like something my 15-year-old mind would cook up, therefore, dangerous and on the knife's edge between stupid and genius. So here goes: empty the contents of four or five firecrackers or an M-80 into the cylinder, being careful not to let any of the powder contact the sparkplug threads (you don't want to set this off prematurely and end up with a sparkplug embedded in your forehead). Then CAREFULLY thread in the sparkplug, attach it to an ignition source and fire it. Seem dangerous enough to you, too? I'm not recommending this, just saying it is how I would have done it at 15. It's amazing that I've managed to live to 73 so far.

12. ^^ I like that one, maybe use ether? or hair spray works in the potato gun. set it off with the spark plug.

13. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

14. Hold my beer and watch this.....

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stay away from that bunch down at the spit and whittle club, They will put strange Ideas in your head and then have a good laugh when you try them.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Do like Paul said about the valves, connect a grease gun to the spark plug hole. It works, this is how a lot of the old hit and miss engines are freed up! The biggest problem is what to do with all that grease afterward!

Deuces and WalkerMD like this.
  18. NoelC

NoelC

As long as no one loses a eye, breaks a bone, bleeds on the carpet...make yourself famous.

Deuces, SS327 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Driver50x

Driver50x

I’ve dreamed up I few unorthodox repairs, but this one just makes me laugh. Thanks for the laugh.

210superair, Deuces, cfmvw and 2 others like this.
  20. A little OT, but as a kid I had a little balsa wood race car that had a hole in the rear to insert a c02 cartridge to propel it. Didn't have one so stuck a firecracker in the hole assuming it would provide the same effect. Blew that poor little car into a hundred pieces. Little firecrackers do have some power.

Deuces, kevinrevin, WalkerMD and 2 others like this.
  21. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Lord. No matter what the problem, somebody's gonna want to solve it with an explosion. I present Oregon's legendary Exploding Whale:

22. That one is legendary in the Pacific Northwest!!! "Holy flying blubber, Batman!"

23. Budget36

Budget36

Just one question, how do you know which hole it needs to go into?

Deuces, SS327, '28phonebooth and 2 others like this.
  24. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Not really, it's an area made for controlled combustion. Faster, uncontrolled combustion is called detonation and can easily happen in engines too when running lean, ignition too far advanced, too low octane rating and so on, this kills engines by hitting them too hard, too fast. You could compare the difference to pushing the piston down all the way with your hand, and hitting it with a hammer. The same muscles deliver the force used, but one actually makes the piston move while the other most likely just breaks the piston.

Deuces and kevinrevin like this.
  25. Some great (some crazy) answers here. Most entertaining. I'm just amazed that after 11 years, this is the first post the OP has done and this is the question.:rolleyes:

26. BJR

BJR

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Perfect!

Deuces likes this.
  28. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Engines are designed for combustion. Explosions (detonation) aren't good to them.

Deuces likes this.
  29. What wrong with doing it the traditional way, I have used Coke several times over the years and it has always worked. HRP

Deuces, Ned Ludd and Driver50x like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.