Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats Everyone Using For Template Material?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegearhead, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

This is the stuff some of the guys earlier were referring to, like on the back of notepads and cereal boxes. Its what I use.

hrm2k likes this.
  2. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Where do you get oilboard?

3. 37gas

37gas

I go to the Q T or called Quick Trip gas station and they have posters with there weekly specials that are near the doors. They are about 2 ft x 3 ft and have there specials on one side and blank on the other.They are water proof ,and change them 2 ore 3 times a month with a new special. They just through the old posters away. Circle K and Seven Eleven do the same

4. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Seems everyone likes to use what's available in their area . Joannes Stores we have one nearby and I keep a roll of their Craft and Banner sheet around It's about 12 bucks and usually they have two types I get the long one about 4 ft long . It keeps it's forms well cuts easy and mails easy to Rod at Rootlieb when I order custom hoods from him . Rod was impressed with the stuff and asked where I got it . Also it mails well in a tube and stores easily for future use . Most important it's durable in the shop

Attached Files:

5. louisb

louisb

Ram Board. Heavy cardboard that comes in a roll. Get it at your local big box store. One roll will last you a long time.

--louis

6. indyjps

indyjps

Rosin paper big roll - can also use it while painting.
    Paper file folders - usually a big pile of old ones at work
    Poster board - have to buy it.

I use cardboard, but am picky about it, junky cardboard can fight you more than it's worth.

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I use 20# posterboard available from a paper supply house, the great thing about it , is that if you draw a straight line with a ball point pen, it will fold directly on that line upload_2022-8-2_7-44-40.jpeg upload_2022-8-2_7-45-3.jpeg upload_2022-8-2_7-45-20.jpeg

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Just used an (empty) doughnut box to make templates for installing insulation to the upper cowl under my dash.
    Templates.jpg
    Doughnuts....is there anything they can't do?

Budget36, Flathead Freddie and hrm2k like this.
  9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have a cad program (cardboard aided design), It sounds better than poster board.

10. mustangsix

mustangsix

The stock guy at our BJ's store let me take a couple of sheets of the cardboard they use to separate paper products. 4x4 and just the right thickness.

11. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I used to travel with my job a lot. Started to keep the hotel credit card type plastic door keys. Great for making templates for small brackets, scrapers, radius gages, etc. because they are plastic you can cut with snips, bandsaw, scissors plus sand or file into final shape plus if you think you might use again throw it in a drawer. I have one with a different radius on each corner I use when laying out different jobs. Also work well for spreading epoxy, bondo, glue, etc.

williebill likes this.
  12. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for the cardboard from a case of beer. Just don't drink it all before you make the pattern.

13. reagen

reagen

Dollar bill's work good

14. A Boner

A Boner

I agree…Cheerios box, or other cereal box. Always one available…even if I have to commandeer one from the kitchen!

15. I use mat board blems from the framing shop. One big chunk will last for years doing small templates. If it is something you don't need to save just cut it up into the next smaller bracket or doo dad

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I go to my local Dollar Tree and buy construction paper. It's just the right thickness to hold it's shape, but not so thick it can't be cut with scissors easily. And super cheap at the Dollar Tree.

17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Smaller metal patch/repairs (sheet metal)
    Heavy tinfoil...
    Once you cut your hole, hold piece over opening, fingernail 90% will cut it out over cut edge, or cut on line created..
    Works slick!

18. 6sally6

6sally6

6sally6

19. I've used manilla folders for years for smaller patterns and old real estate plastic corrugated signs for larger flat patterns. For patterns to fit carpet down I'll used the home Depot painters masking paper press and hold it and Mark the cuts with chalk then then tape it down to the back of your carpet and cut appropriately...

20. stingbean

stingbean

x2 on the manilla folders. I use them all the time at work for sheet metal prototype work. The crease of the folder can come in handy if you are designing something that's going to have a bend in it.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  21. fuzzface

fuzzface

About 30 years ago I brought a lifetime supply at an estate auction. 4'x4' sheets and I would consider it construction paper consistency. I paid a whole $5 for the stack, only bidder. Wife at first thought I was nuts but she got over it, me buying the pallet stack full but she still thinks I am nuts. :)

22. hillbillyrabbit

hillbillyrabbit

Winner, Winner. This stuff is great. I was going to mention it and you beat me to it.

23. Hop2it

Hop2it

I use poster board from the dollar store 2 for a dollar unless it’s gone up since I last bought some
    Doug

24. goldmountain

goldmountain

We don't eat cereal for breakfast so I had to raid the neighbor's recycling bin to find a box. However, they are too small if you are trying to make a hood.

A Boner likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We re-use hanging tab file folders at work until they get a bit worn at the fold then I take them home for use as templates and a handheld overspray shield. A lot better than cardboard.

26. SR100

SR100

Shop at Winco after midnight when they are restocking. Chances are the restocking crew will hook you up.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that, it's where I shop, two blocks from me.

28. It's called matboard. It's what we use in picture framing. If you have a frame shop locally, they may have some sizable scraps really cheap or free. Frame shops are always figuring out what to do with their scraps. I used to burn it in the fireplace in wintertime. The nice thing about matboard is it's got a really smooth surface so, with some proper drafting equipment, you can draw some very precise lines.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    ronzmtrwrx likes this.
  29. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Poster board, and also use it for lining my thinner tool box drawers that hold lighter tools, lasts for years and much thinner than regular drawer liner material