Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yes it’s still Possible.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell Rish, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Picked this up today. Got distributor and carb on early this morning before the heat kicked in.

Attached Files:

2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got plug wires /distributor and the like ready for final install. Heater hoses also but the 5/8 hose is getting replaced even though it’s new.
    Carquest (or mine ) it’s all they had in 5/8 only had red and after I got it on - I think it looks awful. I am gonna replace it with black.
    As Good as the original ( or to the car when I got it ) AC Delco coil is putting a nice blue arch across to the bracket every time I turn the switch on so I am going going to give it a chance. Lol
    Life kinda got in the way this week but it’s good.

3. Mo rust

Mo rust

I've been a 30's Ford guy for most of my life and somehow I stumbled upon a couple different tri-five chevys and bought them. Now I need to wrap up a bunch of model A builds so I can work on them.

55a.jpg 57a.jpg

4. Mo rust

Mo rust

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

You need to move that snotty looking 55 down to my part of the world / and the sweet 57 push truck too. Ill tell you like I told GlassThames Doug/ and Swade 41. Ill run the crap out of it for you( wont charge a dime) Ill even store em for you for free.
    All jokes aside that's some nice looking stuff there. Id have to beat a few people with a chain to keep em off the truck

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    GlassThamesDoug, 1Nimrod and brEad like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Trying to get everyone back healthy. Maybe in a week or so Ill have things kinda back to normal. Live free and build all you can while you can guys and girls.

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Actually managed to get the fuel cell mounted /mocked up today. Was a treat to get back at it if only for a little bit.

Attached Files:

8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Battery box /tray is going to be centered directly over the rear end /chassis. The same way I normally do my race cars. With the fuel cell it’s going to be in front. It has its pluses and minuses but I like neutral weight. And the right side rear mount doesn’t leave the room I want for battery access. My battery tray will have the standard hood down bolts vent tube etc. the box I already had so there it is. Every thing on the floor will get a coat of black enamel /cut with lacquer thinner brush or roller. Again his car is usuimgbwhay I have and not doing anything exotic. I’ll weld /and bolt in battery Tray tomorrow after church. Closer.

Attached Files:

9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

C11E38AD-8FD4-4DF5-B837-86D7F8E677F4.jpeg Installing sender unit. Better remember a ground simply due to it being aluminum
    Hope it works. Lol

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Fired engine today. Sounds really healthy. Trans /shifter still need to go in.
    Pleased none the less.

11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sta Lube GL 4 showed up for Muncie.
    I could not convince myself to run the bearings/seals that came in the disc brake kit. I went to MS bearing in Tupelo And they had real deal A2/A6. Timken sets even had USA stamped in the side of them. Seal looked 2 to one. And they were kind enough to hold and call when the other seal they had to order came in. Service of this nature was the norm 25 -30 years ago. A phone call. Not a text or email. Kinda made my day.
    About to get everything back to where we can run the Willy’s in and tune and finish this.

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

E9385632-ACB1-4964-A693-2C0F617AB88E.jpeg Show and tell

13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

636D5899-04D6-4E64-AACD-AD615510764D.jpeg CB2F3C9E-8DF6-49FF-82DB-0036868DD466.jpeg The last stuff other than my lower A arm bumpers is in.
    Am still looking for a set of centers from 55-56 15 inch wheels. ( yes those that were riveted )
    Get some cheap white spoke wheels 8 -10-12 wide and make my own. Always loved the look and being able to put the small factory caps on.

1Nimrod, brEad, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great progress @Mitchell Rish

When you upload your pictures, you have the option to select LARGE. It sure would make it allot easier to see the pictures.
    Thank you.

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got hit with flu, fever, aches, pains. Mullein tea opened up my lungs, old reliable Alka Seltzer reduced joint, muscle pain. Feels like good old flu my coworkers would give me after getting their flu shots. Going to find the wandering black bear, if I can beat it wrestling... I'm cured.

16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Doug how many rounds do you have to go with the bear ?Keep hydrated above all. Mother Nature and time will do the rest.
    AHotRod sorry about that. I’ll try and remember next time. I usually take photos in the shop on my phone and don’t ever think about bigger being better. I did the same thing in the Willy’s and prefect build. My Bad.

17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep... I want to photo the shifter handles tomorrow. Yours is same shifter I have in wagon, although my seats are back a few inches from stock.

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your almost ready for TFN....

19. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Very cool car! I want to follow along.

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mitch, here are those shifters, arms.. need to trim this pile down. That Fenton 200 shift star has a knob on it.

Attached Files:

elgringo71, 1Nimrod and bowie like this.
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Again that Long shifter hook is the stuff. I need that ring on the Hurst Boot. Mine looks terrible. That would be perfect and fit the theme. How much ???????????
    Got my vent to the fuel tank last night.
    As luck would have it I think my aftermarket fuel sender just crapped out. Was working till this morning. Now it is racing over to full when key is turned on. And it’s got 3 gallons in it. Also have external ground for sender so that shouldn’t be the issue. I have easy access even under the dash so I’ll check tomorrow. EAB66E28-5515-4D78-A91B-898620E40A5D.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Sender checks out with a ohm meter. Gauge to sender wire / grounds check well also . Gonna be the Gauge - Cant complain - it is the original.

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Would you believe gauge started working again. Lol. Other one is on the way. I’ll inventory it. I cleaned grounds for the second time. Still not convinced that was it. Lol
    Later got to go back to shop and make patterns for back seat deletes. Rear deck will have to be two piece the vertical will be one. I’ll step the top with the bead roller but nothing else. The extra /fancy would be far out of place. I’ll scuff and paint the aluminum. It’s already got backed on white.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

69BFCF97-C00B-49BC-AE34-2BCF83AAA48E.jpeg D5B2E741-1CC9-49DE-A51B-151B268F0507.jpeg 84558200-7ADA-450F-BAF2-B6560F1326EC.jpeg A7629875-A09D-42B0-AB56-719ED48D77FB.jpeg D5B2E741-1CC9-49DE-A51B-151B268F0507.jpeg D5B2E741-1CC9-49DE-A51B-151B268F0507.jpeg 84558200-7ADA-450F-BAF2-B6560F1326EC.jpeg A7629875-A09D-42B0-AB56-719ED48D77FB.jpeg Totally threw out the patterns for the deck. I was over thinking.
    The deck tapers side to side more than an inch. I remade the pattern and a single incision. Cut the back corner of the inside quarter window molding to fit properly so it doesn’t look like XXXX like so many panel kits do and so many just cut a clearance slot and silicone it.
    Yes that is actually the aluminum with baked on white. Scuff and paint before i install for good.
    I’ll run normal silicone beads under it to keep vibration down as well. Trying to keep it simple but neat with out a lot of bead rolling. I’ve done and used it but again on this it would be out of place.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  25. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Future Motor Head, that's great, enjoy the special time's together, my Grandson is in my Avatar...

1Nimrod
    (Dustin)

26. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Maybe Doug Thorly (DT) Header's?
    (Thorly spelled wrong?)
    My 64 SS Chevy II had DT Header's and had numbers similar to your Header's.
    Many different Header Companies back in the 1960's...

1Nimrod
    (Dustin)

27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Glass Thames Doug said the same thing about the headers. I am just proud they fit and are in good shape.
    It is crazy how BBC headers are 1/2 the price of sbc even in frame. Lol

1Nimrod, Thor1 and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Just secured a small air staple gun and staples.Been thinking I might as well do the headliner my self also . I have everything . New tack strip and all might as well.

1Nimrod, Thor1, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  29. Squablow

Squablow

I did a headliner in my dad's 56 Chevy which I had converted, but I never got one in my '57, I just ran out of time and ambition for it. I would like to do it though. I did one in a '57 hardtop too. I will say, the vinyl ones look nicer but the cloth ones are way easier to install and get them tight. I think they have a lot more stretch in them. The key to the vinyl ones is to have it dead center on the bows. It pays to spend time to measure and mark the center of each rod and the center of the headliner (notch the "listing" channels where the rods slide through to line them up with the mark on the rod) if it's shifted even a tiny bit in either direction the wrinkles get really tough to pull out.

1Nimrod and Thor1 like this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I replaced tack strip over the rear quarter windows today. Finished the rear deck and seat delete panels today will finish paint when I get a match( I'll discuss that later). The tack strip over /in front/ behind the doors looks very good - will know if I am replacing after I get all the old staples out. The strip over the windshield has a few places that will need attention. I just figured out that the wind lace goes in first. glad I ordered it all together when I ordered the headliner.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022