Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint Matching Tips

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deyomatic, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

These photos will certainly show without me saying that I know next to nothing about paint work.

When I bought this Coupe, it came with a hood that was white. The PO (also on the HAMB) had looked into having a local shop match the paint but was given a ridiculous price for the size of the piece. I tossed the hood into my rafters in my garage for the past year but have now decided I'd like to run it.

I sampled a couple of different rattle cans and thought I had a half way decent match. That can deflated itself sitting on the shelf. I bought another can that I thought was the same shade but wasn't...then I was in "get it done" mode so I hit it with the Semi-Gloss version of the original paint I intended to use. As expected, it came out too shiny and somewhat blotchy...but the shade was pretty close (at least in person with natural light shining off it).

I have now hit this with some 1000 grit and 2000 grit wet sandpaper trying to see if the shine can go away but I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Do I try rubbing compound? Polishing Compound? Wax? Or do I just find a paint guy and see what they say about doing it?

It DOES look better in person, I swear.

Thanks.

D

Attached Files:

2. Looking at it on my phone, the car looks like flat black. The hood looks glossy.
    But buffing will make it shine more.
    On flat automotive paint, rubbing adds gloss. Even casual touching can cause areas to become shinier. I’ve de-glossed shiny paint by using 3000 grit paper. It may be easier to go flat then try to add gloss if necessary.
    One issue is matching age. If that’s an old flat paint job, matching the affects of the sun is hard.
    the hood looks like it need more coats for coverage.

deadbeat likes this.
  3. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Trying to match the hue and sheen of an aged paint job can be a pain and time consuming. That may be why the shop quoted what the prior owner thought was too high. They may just not have wanted to mess with it. Just an observation.

anthony myrick likes this.
  4. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

This website has a paint line called hot rod flazt, and they have a few different shades of black. If you have an air compressor, (even a small one) you can buy a very cheap Harbor Freight spray gun and give it a go. One quart should be plenty to paint the hood.

ttps://tcpglobal.com/pages/hot-rod-flatz-paint

Hard to tell from the photos, but I'm thinking the chassis black color might be close to what is on the car now...

5. BJR

BJR

Put shiny paint on it and be done with it.

deadbeat, da34guy and SS327 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

yup, it's telling you that it wants a complete paint job.

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Well that sounds expensive!

Thanks for the tips gents. I am going to live with it for now and see what a buddy’s paint guy suggests.

8. indyjps

indyjps

Buff the whole car, the old paint is flat paint and faded, the hood paint is scratched up.

Buffing flat paint will bring up a subdued shine and look better than chalked out flat.

I may be saying the same as @anthony myrick

deadbeat and anthony myrick like this.
  9. You might have said it better

deadbeat and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Figure out how to save the striping, buy 8 spray cans of flat black, ($100 due to inflation and supply chain foul-ups), and go to town. Get at least a 6 pack down before you start this. Have plenty more available to get you through the project and for celebration after. ;)

deadbeat, squirrel and Driver50x like this.
  11. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Well, prior getting the advice for buffing the whole car I kept farting around with it. Here's the current state. I will live with it until I figure out what I'm doing. Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. Hotrod31A

Hotrod31A

If I understand you’re trying to degloss your hood to match the aged flat black body?
    May try a google search on “comet wash” technique. It’s used on patina’d cars when you want to maintain the look but revive the paint a little.
    you can employ this on both the newly painted and original paint and probably get them to match pretty well.
    Word to the wise would recommend trying a small area first to determine how much comet and how hard to scrub.

13. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

This is how it came out- took a couple shots today. I think I can live with it this way...If not, I may check out that Comet wash angle.

Attached Files:

deadbeat likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Doesn’t look too bad to me...

15. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Nice. Liking those manifolds, and louver job.

16. indyjps

indyjps

Paint is looking more and more even. Oxidation is gone. Looks great.

If you want to keep going, A little hand polishing will take it to a very dull shine like youre starting to see and it let's you keep oxidation under control.
    3M imperial hand glaze is awesome.