Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1926 model t roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jerryt, Jul 19, 2022.

1. jerryt

jerryt

I am getting to the point where my 26 can be driven. I want to put in a carpet. The man that had the car had a old office carpet cut to fit. I am looking to replace this carpet. But I can’t find carpet that will fit. I thought buy industrial carpet and cut myself. And or I could take out old carpet and clean and see how it looks. What do you think?
    Thanks
    Jerry

2. Needed is a picture of the old carpet, that way, a correct decision can be made.

3. It will be a small piece any way you cut it!

26 T Ford RPU and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any auto upholstery shop will have remnants of carpet and underlayment. You're not talking about covering a mid-60s station wagon floor but an area about 3' x 4'. When I put the 5 speed in my OT pickup, I needed to cover the new tranny cover. When I asked at a local auto upholstery shop how much to do the job, they gave me the material and told me to remember them when I got a bigger project. Ask, it can't hurt.

chessterd5 likes this.

5. dmar836

dmar836

A pattern should be easy to make. Don’t need to try to make a pattern from one big piece of paper but from many smaller pieces. Start with as large a center section of paper as you can make to fit and just add smaller pieces with tape that will fit right to the edges. Mark and cut pedal slots or holes. Mistakes can be patched or adjusted with more paper and tape. I’m anal so I then make a final one piece pattern from the multi piece one.
    Any binding you might want would be the most technical part IMO. Not many have a binding machine(that all thread binding) but a vinyl or leather bound edge is also nice and many can do that.
    Even if you then feel a distant pro is best you can send a cleaned up and refined pattern to them and have a carpet made. I’d just do it myself though.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Use a thick rubber floor mat…carpet in roadsters that are driven, seems like a soggy mess to me.

7. jerryt

jerryt

View attachment 5460785

Attached Files:

dmar836 likes this.
  8. jerryt

jerryt

This is a photo of my carpet interior. Kind of spartan look.
    Thanks
    Jerryt

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2 on rubber floor mat. Easy to cut, easy to clean, waterproof, looks right. Lots of options on Amazon in various patterns--here's a link to "wide rib" mat that I used; looks like this:

618L2tsdDrL._SL1000_.jpeg

10. Blake 27

Blake 27

I drove my "Hot Rod" for a year to dial in the ride, and all the other details of a new build. I quickly learned that even with plywood floorboards, it became uncomfortably hot even during a short drive. I used Dynamat and Dynaliner under the temporary carpet I purchased at Home Depot. When I had new carpet made, all I had to do was replace
    the temp stuff. You wont be sorry using quality products.

DSC05235.JPG DSC05240.JPG DSC05241.JPG

Just Gary and Lil'Alb like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

I cut up an old trunk mat for the flooring in my '26 T, from a '55 T-bird I believe, it's got that kinda-sorta houndstooth pattern in it, I like it.

12. jerryt

jerryt

I think I’m going to put sound insulation on it for right now. Then clean up old carpet until I get it all sorted out. I think you are all right. Especially no rush to put on nice stuff. I have to get seat reupholster first it’s just springs. I’m going to go old school on that.
    Thanks
    Jerry

13. jerryt

jerryt

But I did like that vinyl mat look.
    Thanks
    Jerry

chessterd5 likes this.
  14. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

looks like your model T has a lot of patina!

15. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you'd be nuts to put carpet in a T roadster unless it never sees so much as a wet road, let alone rain! The rubber mat is the wise answer.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Rubber mat is probably the best choice. I even made aluminum floor boards because of having to change out rotten wood.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

Blake27....is that by any chance marine carpet? Looks quite similar to that type which I put in my T Roadster. It got completely soaked one time and since I put it in using Velcro strips I just pulled it out, hung it up and let it dry.

The wide stripe rubber mat looks nice too.

Lynn

18. Blake 27

Blake 27

No, actually it's super cheap Home Depot carpet cut off a roll and sold by the foot.
    Since I have a top and side curtains I've never gotten moisture in the carpet. If I ever do get
    it wet, it's held in with Velcro. I now have 29,000 miles and have driven in rain and snow, so
    far so good.

19. jerryt

jerryt

Actually I bought some indoor outdoor carpet and put it in the truck. E99CA189-21D3-4807-857E-316FC27A9080.jpeg

dmar836 and chessterd5 like this.
  20. I used a piece of cargo van floor mat, makes for easy cleaning. JW
    [​IMG]

21. JerryT, your 26 looks a lot like a 27. JW

22. patterg2003

patterg2003

Could consider using a piece of rubber backed carpet runner that is used at entrances etc.. It wont let water through, will wear like iron and help with quietening.

23. Model T floors are not water tight, best to let water out not try ang keep it on the surface. I have been caught in some heavy rain in mine and its best to let it out or you will end up with a small lake and as for sound deadening, all the noise comes from the wind and tires. JW

chessterd5 and ClarkH like this.
  24. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

@jerryt
    I'm enjoying watching your truck come back to life. Maybe you could combine all these threads in to one thread and we could see everything in one place?
    Maybe a moderator could help?
    Thanks

26 T Ford RPU likes this.