Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1952 Ford Stuck in Overdrive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racingsnake, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

I’m getting a '52 Ford 2dr running after sitting for a while and the overdrive handle is stuck in the pushed in position engaging overdrive. The car freewheels if you push it forwards in gear but turns the motor over if you push it backwards. Will it hurt anything if I drive the car like this? I’ve read that the car will try and start off in 1st overdrive and this will put too much load on it but I’ve also read that the overdrive doesn’t cut in until a certain speed so it seems I should be able to gently drive it round the block? Will backing up in overdrive cause any problems? None of the electrical connections to the overdrive are currently hooked up.

2. I believe if you crawl under the car and follow the cable to the transmission you will find it hooked to a lever of some kind. Try unhooking the cable and moving the lever to the position it would be in if the cable was pulled out.

Ben

3. jaracer

jaracer

Not a problem, what you are experiencing is the correct operation of the unit with the cable handle pushed in. I had two cars with overdrive and I don't think I pulled the handle out more than one or two times. The fact that the transmission will connect to the engine in reverse tells me that there is nothing wrong in the transmission. When you shift to reverse a pin inside the transmission actually locks the transmission out of overdrive or you wouldn't have a reverse. It suggests that the overdrive cable is frozen/rusted in position.

You actually are not in overdrive at slow speeds with the handle pushed in. You are just driving the vehicle through the overrunning clutch which makes the shift to overdrive possible. It operates like a normal 3 speed except you have no engine braking. Once you hit about 28 mph, the governor provides a ground for the overdrive solenoid making a shift to overdrive possible.

40FORDPU likes this.
  4. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Great, thanks for the replies. Good to know it shouldn’t be a problem, just need to get it running now!

5. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

6. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  7. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Thanks for the links, I’ll check them out.